Problems after Tow-Boot
Hi All

Been using the Pinephone daily for some time now, and also daily updates and upgrades.
About 2 months ago I started having problems after updates, so I bit the bullet and went for
a re-write of the image to the latest.

Soon discovered that Tow-Boot was now needed.
Installed as per instructions and tried it.
The main problem was that opening settings menu worked, but as soon as I selected say "Wifi",
the settings menu would close and the Wifi settings would not come up.

The only was I could get my phone back, was to install an image from May 2022 which didn't require Tow-Boot
and all worked correctly again.

However the upgrades are starting to add up to about 475, so I am sure that if I upgrade the onboard emmc
the same problem will come back.

This time I am trying to install the latest image on the micro SD to prove or find a solution to this issue.
The procedure I followed:
Wrote Tow-Boot to on board emmc. (the May image still works correctly after that) using balena Etcher
Wrote 20220821.img.gz firstly to the SD with the PC.
Booted by holding Volume down and tested to find the same problem still exists.

Then wrote the same image to the SD plugged into the phone, same problem STILL.

Here is what I don't get:
I have a stock standard PP64 phone that has the touch screen replaced (by me) that works perfectly on May 2022 images.
I write a verified image to either the phone or SD and it always fails with the same problem.

Then someone wrote about Enabling Animations (probably different issue) but the first step, Settings> Accessibility just closes
the Settings menu again. Some Settings sub menu's do work (Network for example) but 95% of them just close the Settings menu.

I can't update or upgrade as the Wifi has not been initialized.

Anybody have any ideas ?

Regards
I just flashed my eMMC to Mobian and had the same problem. But in my case the settings app crash was intermittent so I persisted and eventually managed to set the wifi password. Then I did "sudo apt dist-upgrade" in the terminal which upgraded the OS and fixed the problem. If you are still having problem try flashing a later version of Mobian and see how you go?

Now I need to get the phone calls working...
(09-17-2022, 05:56 AM)SpaggettiCoder Wrote: I just flashed my eMMC to Mobian and had the same problem. But in my case the settings app crash was intermittent so I persisted and eventually managed to set the wifi password. Then I did "sudo apt dist-upgrade" in the terminal which upgraded the OS and fixed the problem. If you are still having problem try flashing a later version of Mobian and see how you go?

Now I need to get the phone calls working...

After not getting a reply to this thread, I did the same and then sudo apt full-upgrade.

Regards
I've got the phone working by booting with the USB connected (???) but can't retrieve MMS so still no joy for me Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,853 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  How to check if tow-boot is installed? jojuma 3 892 09-29-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 611 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  Stability problems with 6.1 kernel Zebulon Walton 9 2,523 05-12-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  4G data on default startup / boot dcinoz 1 814 04-29-2023, 11:24 PM
Last Post: dcinoz
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,305 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Boot log analyses -> GPU no regulator (mali) found freelectro 0 939 03-06-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: freelectro
  boot gets stuck shortly after disk decryption vortex 8 3,909 02-13-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: sharase
  [solved] Black screen at boot time mdk 0 993 01-13-2023, 03:33 AM
Last Post: mdk
  No boot after upgrade: vibration, red LED, then 2 vibrations and yellow LED 3x5co 1 968 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 3x5co