Pinetime Screen issue after bootloop troubles
Hi,

Last week, I took off my Pinetime (sealed version) to wash the dishes and stored it in my pocket. When I took it back to wear it, the watch was in a bootloop (attached video).

After trying the different reset/recovery options and letting the watch battery drain, I managed to recover the watch.

But after at least three episodes of bootloop, there now seems to be a screen/display issue (see attached pictures).

Anyone knows if this might be either an hardware or software/firmware trouble? Or is there an easy way to test that?

I really like my PineTime, it's a bummer that it's now unusable after only about 13 months.

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

@Spater I posted your thread to Discord, hopefully somebody will see it there and help you out.

One if the people there have already stated it shouldn't be possible for software to cause the display issues you see.

Some questions (from me):

1. Which PineTime firmware are you using? (Just encase it does end up being related to software)
2. Has the watch received any water or shock damage? (It looks like the display has received shock)
3. How snug is the PineTime inside that case? I would suggest it is possible it has be exerting significant pressure over time and has eventually broken the display.

FYI I've been using my PineTime daily for years now. The only thing that seems to have caused a small amount of issue are the x-ray scanners at airports.

@Spater Now I look at your display again, the bottom right and left seem to have some cracks in the display? I assume you printed the case to prevent further damage, but it could be that damage has been slowly (and silently) happening until recently. It could be as simple as some stress or moisture propagating around the display, and only now has it fully broke.

If that's the situation, you may be looking at a new display, or more than likely a new PineTime. I would in than scenario suggest a new PineTime as it looks like the aluminum is a little dented on the bottom left.
Thanks for replying @barray

To answer your questions:
1) I was running infinitime 1.10 without prior issues. screen issue is also present after reverting to 1.9
2) Only water it got was from washing hands or giving bath to my kids. The crack visible on the picture is on the glass screen protector I added because of poor fit/size when installed. Don't recall any shock bigger then normal wear and tear... (To be sure, I'll remove it tomorrow and check the watch screen)
3) The case is snug on the corners but don't really overlap the display. Still it's a possibility

again thanks for your help
I don't know how easy the sealed units are to open, but if you do you may be able to reseat the display connector.
@barray  I just removed the screen protector and watch has no visible wear (see attached picture)

@wibble I found a post on how to open it https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...d+Pinetime
If I manage to open it, would it be easy to find and reseat the connector?

Thanks for your inputs, I really appreciate it  Smile 

I would definitely prefer to try and recover the watch since shipping fees cost more than the Pinetime itself.

(08-30-2022, 07:11 AM)Spater Wrote: @barray  I just removed the screen protector and watch has no visible wear (see attached picture)

Try turning it on now that it's off, maybe we can get a better picture of the display now?

I really suspect it is a hardware issue though, as you say you've reverted the firmware and still the issue persists. I am also running 1.10 and no issues for me. I really suspect it's not the display connector, but I don't suppose you have much to lose by opening it given the current unusable state.

I sealed an unsealed watch with a light dab of super glue around the edge. I don't think it's water tight, but over several years it has not once failed me. As I said, it's worth a shot given your current situation.

(08-30-2022, 07:11 AM)Spater Wrote: I would definitely prefer to try and recover the watch since shipping fees cost more than the Pinetime itself.

I understand what you're saying, but it may not be possible. I hate e-waste too, and there is something to be said about keeping a piece of hardware going as long as possible, but it may just be cooked at this point.
There are some pics of the internals here:
https://lupyuen.github.io/articles/build...controller

The battery has some double sided tape that sticks it to the board (at least on my developer one) so be careful when you lift it. I haven't tried reseating the connectors so can't give you any hints on those. The connector is the only potential hardware issue I can think of that's reasonably easy to try fixing. You might be lucky. Cracked traces and failing solder joints are at another level entirely.

I stuck the back on mine with some B-6000 glue after some silicone proved insufficiently strong. I may have a bit of silicone residue on the metal side as it came unstuck in the recent hot weather.
Update:

I managed to open my Pinetime following the instructions in the post I linked in my previous reply.

I'm now thinking it might be due to water damage because of the green residue (probably copper oxide) visible in the blue circle on the attached picture. I'm baffled since exposure of my watch to water was limited.

Most of the internals looked ok though.

Cleaned up the green residue and tried reconnecting the screen anyway. I was able to get better image quality but still missing the right edge of the display. Guess screen LCD might be damaged.

@wibble and @barray  thanks for your help  Smile

Couldn't resist and ordered another Pinetime!!! (at least I'll have spare parts)

Still, I'm wondering if the Pinetime is really waterproof as stated on pine64 website "The PineTime comes with a IP67 rating, meaning that it can handle up to one meter of water"

(09-13-2022, 09:14 PM)Spater Wrote: @wibble and @barray  thanks for your help  Smile

No problem.

(09-13-2022, 09:14 PM)Spater Wrote: Couldn't resist and ordered another Pinetime!!! (at least I'll have spare parts)

I think this is the better option.

(09-13-2022, 09:14 PM)Spater Wrote: Still, I'm wondering if the Pinetime is really waterproof as stated on pine64 website "The PineTime comes with a IP67 rating, meaning that it can handle up to one meter of water"

Okay... It looks as if the water come through the HR sensor. I wonder if this is actually sealed? From memory it just pops out, but my watch was never a sealed unit.
The heart rate sensor window is clear plastic, stuck to the back cover. Depending on how well I align it when I put the back cover on it sometimes looks like there's some pressure on the back, raising the middle of the window slightly. It's seem most easily if you view at an angle to see the distortion of the reflection on the window. I could imagine this leading to a leak over time. Since I stuck the back on myself I've assumed it will leak, but between sweat and rain it's been ok so far.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTime at FOSDEM jmlich 5 625 02-07-2024, 11:48 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime turns off when removed from cradle tynstar 0 183 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tynstar
  Bluetooth Connection Issue Orionbelt 2 2,009 11-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: BrianPineFan
  PineTime and Amazfish on Ubuntu Touch jmlich 1 645 10-14-2023, 04:12 PM
  PineTime is dead!! Markdanni123 12 13,505 09-18-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: ccchan234
  PineTime Sleep Tracking any_mouse 12 12,016 07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: davidair
  PineTime Dead out of box? henkery 1 1,152 03-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: henkery
  Pinetime almost dead... only shows Infinitime logo. lightweight 8 6,512 02-11-2023, 09:30 AM
Last Post: alexmitroff
  Screen stopped working properly pcfreak9000 3 1,541 01-18-2023, 04:28 PM
  PineTime beginner MV1791 2 2,089 01-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Canyonless