The settings icon disappeared
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install gnome-control-center

...and the problem was goooooooone!!!!!! Big Grin

Mobian devs have saved the day!
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
Excellent! I just did that on my phone and the Settings program is back! Will definitely be more careful about installing held back packages!
So it sounds like we should still wait a bit for our everyday use PPs?
I tried the update in the app vs apt and it complained about two deps issues, sounds like deb vs mob.
(08-31-2022, 03:48 AM)biketool Wrote: So it sounds like we should still wait a bit for our everyday use PPs?
I tried the update in the app vs apt and it complained about two deps issues, sounds like deb vs mob.

Upgrades via software app have always been very unreliable and have broken many installs.  For individual packages you might get away and get it to work but for upgrades it is highly suggested to refrain from using it.

(08-30-2022, 03:17 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Excellent! I just did that on my phone and the Settings program is back! Will definitely be more careful about installing held back packages!

In this particular situation, I am not even sure how much more careful we could be:
I never use dist-upgrade and I always review what was being installed.  Albeit I faced very similar issues.

I my case mobian-phosh was replaced with phosh.  Considering the ongoing migration from Mobian to Debian repository, this replacement seemed like a logical step. 

Mobian have stated on many occasions that their main goal was to upstream all changes to Debian and eventually to dissolve Mobian project.

Blaming users for their insufficient version control and not notifying about upcoming major changes is not cool.
I am referring to the last post on one of communication channels: https://fosstodon.org/@mobian
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

...got me back my gnome-control-center on my daily driver PinePhone, but it seems I have now debian versions of Phosh and other stuff instead of mobian versions. Damn Sad
Code:
sudo apt install mobian-phosh mobian-phosh-phone

...like suggested from Mobian team on Mastodon also does not work (dependency problems).

On my backup/reserve PinePhone (which wasn't updated for weeks) the original problem is STILL there: If you check dist-upgrade, it would remove many packages (especially mobian-specific) including control-center... wierd. According to the Mastodon tweet/toot this shouldn't be the case anymore?  Huh
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
They know about it.
This issue is mentioned in Posts and Replies section on Mastodon:

"The gnime-initial-setuo deoendency is about to be fixed in the near future."
I just tried again "sudo apt install gnome-control-center" yesterday and it worked for me whereas it had failed many times since the 22th of August. It should work now.
(08-30-2022, 11:25 AM)dante404 Wrote: sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

...and the problem was goooooooone!!!!!! Big Grin

Mobian devs have saved the day!

In my case it did not work unfortunately. I only get this:
Code:
$ sudo apt install gnome-control-center
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-control-center : Depends: libgnome-desktop-3-19 (>= 3.33.4) but it is not installable
                        Recommends: gnome-user-docs but it is not going to be installed
                        Recommends: gnome-user-share but it is not going to be installed
                        Recommends: gkbd-capplet but it is not going to be installed
                        Recommends: system-config-printer-common (>= 1.4) but it is not going to be installed
                        Recommends: malcontent-gui but it is not going to be installed
                        Recommends: cracklib-runtime but it is not going to be installed
                        Recommends: realmd but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Ideas anyone?
You could try doing a dist-upgrade to see if that brings the necessary packages in.
(09-29-2022, 03:47 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: You could try doing a dist-upgrade to see if that brings the necessary packages in.

No, unfortunately it does not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  icon keyboard chris_02 3 301 02-09-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 962 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Exclamation point in cellular icon after update Zebulon Walton 8 4,518 06-22-2022, 05:57 PM
Last Post: albafrati
  Disappearing Settings GUI sandspur 4 2,568 04-09-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: sandspur
  lost settings icon from screen kubussz 3 2,426 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: beretta
  Disappeared one icon kubussz 0 840 02-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Last Post: kubussz
  How to switch off a app icon from list pinephone 6 5,029 05-14-2021, 02:38 AM
Last Post: pajux
  Desktop Entry icon not appearing: how to diagnose? Saliency 6 4,937 03-15-2021, 05:49 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  lost settings icon from screen bobblestiltskin 2 3,104 11-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: bobblestiltskin
  Kings Cross disappeared bobblestiltskin 8 8,161 09-22-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: LMalilil