The settings icon disappeared
(08-24-2022, 11:57 AM)dante404 Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 09:26 AM)Gumur Wrote: I updated an hour ago, and settings is working.

Did you do upgrade or dist-upgrade?
AFAIK the problem affects you if you did dist-upgrade and NOT notice that apt will remove packages (like I did half-asleep/dozing yesterday... stupid me Sad ).

Just save your important stuff like contacts and .mozilla or just all of /home.  If it all goes bad you have a backup and can follow the guide linked above.
With all of the reinstalls of the last few days I have come close to perfection a good install, better than before and leaving out all of the unused extras.
(08-24-2022, 11:57 AM)dante404 Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 09:26 AM)Gumur Wrote: I updated an hour ago, and settings is working.

Did you do upgrade or dist-upgrade?
AFAIK the problem affects you if you did dist-upgrade and NOT notice that apt will remove packages (like I did half-asleep/dozing yesterday... stupid me Sad ).
I'm using the weekly 20220327 (without tow-boot), updated and upgraded periodically.
After the update 08-22-2022 my settings icon don't disappeared but it did nothing.
Today, after the update-upgrade, apparently works normally.
I did an update/upgrade just a few minutes ago and still no settings icon. (I could see it was mainly some python updates that got installed.) It's already been a minor pain since I needed to correct the phone's date and after 40+ years I still can never remember the obtuse syntax of the Unix "date" command. (Got it from the man page on my desktop system and took care of it.)

I'll do updates over the next several days but if the settings application is not reinstalled soon I'll just re-image the phone from my month-old backup and install updates - but without updating held back packages.
(08-24-2022, 02:27 PM)Gumur Wrote: I'm using the weekly 20220327 (without tow-boot), updated and upgraded periodically.
After the update 08-22-2022 my settings icon don't disappeared but it did nothing.

I will probably run an update in a week just to be sure; but right now would you recommend returning to normal upgrades on PP Mobian?
I have done about five rollback installs with backups of stuff in /home to perfect the instructions on the reinstall thread, but would prefer to wait until we have a clear go form the community as I have used up my pinephone hacking time budget for the month and I need it as my daily driver.
(08-25-2022, 04:49 AM)biketool Wrote:
(08-24-2022, 02:27 PM)Gumur Wrote: I'm using the weekly 20220327 (without tow-boot), updated and upgraded periodically.

I will probably run an update in a week just to be sure; but right now would you recommend returning to normal upgrades on PP Mobian?

Perhaps, but I do not dare to recommend to you anything, as my needs seems are far from yours.
I use the pinephone only for things I can't do in another manner. For photos, my camera, equipment hifi
for music, etc.
I own two pinephones. One since november 2021. I installed mobian in it in december, in an microSD card. I
did updates/upgrades until nowadays and works the same as the other I own since march 2022. Never
did a dist-upgrade nor reflash anything.
My best happiness with the pinephone is when I write a little program in the PC for my personal use and
see that it runs perfectly in the pinephone.
The problem here is the discrepancy between versions of gnome-control-center on debian and mobian repositories.

Code:
$ sudo apt policy  gnome-control-center
gnome-control-center:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:42.3-2mobian1
  Version table:
    1:43~beta-2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main arm64 Packages
    1:42.3-2mobian1 700
        700 http://repo.mobian-project.org bookworm/main arm64 Packages

By default apt tries to install mobian version which depends on older desktop-4-1.  Latest update rolled out desktop-4-2.

Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gnome-control-center : Depends: libgnome-bg-4-1 (>= 3.27.90) but it is not installable
                        Depends: libgnome-desktop-4-1 (>= 3.33.4) but it is not installable

I tried commenting out mobian repository.  In this case apt does not throw a dependency error but asks to install 56 new packages.  Not sure if using just Debian repository was tested, this could cause bigger problems.

In summary it is best to wait for Mobian devs to update gnome-control-center version.
Also look here: https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/459

I also think it's the best to wait until the critical packages are updated in the mobian bookworm repository Sad  (I hope this will not take weeks of course Wink , otherwise we will have to try other solutions like the one suggested on gitlab nonetheless...).
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
Thank you for Gitlab link for this issue.
Quick workaround of Switching to staging, suggested by Mobian dev, might not be a viable option for some, as switching back to stable could cause a version mess with many packages and reinstall will be inevitable.
Since the fix is in staging hopefully it will not be much longer now before it hits the standard bookworm repositories. I can live without settings for a while longer. I don't want to make a bigger mess by switching updates to staging, and would rather not flash the eMMC with my month-old image backup.

Normally I always check for what's going to happen, like critical programs being removed, when updating held back packages but was in a hurry this time and didn't notice. Lesson learned, (hopefully) I won't make that mistake again!
Yeah, hopefully the packages will we updated soon. Sad

(08-30-2022, 06:41 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Normally I always check for what's going to happen, like critical programs being removed, when updating held back packages but was in a hurry this time and didn't notice. Lesson learned, (hopefully) I won't make that mistake again!

Me too, but this time... Sad my lesson: Don't upgrade your phone if you're half-asleep (you would'nt do this on your workstation or server either Wink ), just because your read something about new phosh (and phoc?) versions in the packet list...).
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  icon keyboard chris_02 3 417 02-09-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 1,026 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Exclamation point in cellular icon after update Zebulon Walton 8 4,701 06-22-2022, 05:57 PM
Last Post: albafrati
  Disappearing Settings GUI sandspur 4 2,684 04-09-2022, 04:49 AM
Last Post: sandspur
  lost settings icon from screen kubussz 3 2,515 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: beretta
  Disappeared one icon kubussz 0 864 02-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Last Post: kubussz
  How to switch off a app icon from list pinephone 6 5,168 05-14-2021, 02:38 AM
Last Post: pajux
  Desktop Entry icon not appearing: how to diagnose? Saliency 6 5,116 03-15-2021, 05:49 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  lost settings icon from screen bobblestiltskin 2 3,183 11-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: bobblestiltskin
  Kings Cross disappeared bobblestiltskin 8 8,369 09-22-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: LMalilil