Making a new keyboard layout
This is almost a showstopper - the choice of keyboard layouts is very sparse in current Mobian, and I can't quite find a way to make a new one.
I read almost everything that was written here on the subject, and followed the instructions on https://developer.puri.sm/projects/squee...orial.html

The trouble is that (megi's) distro of Mobian, and a few other descendants of Debian, includes about eight keyboards for major languages, and then there's the „other“ section, where I found both of my serbian keyboards (cyrillic and latinic) listed. However, when I select one of these, nothing happens, the layout remains american. So I found that the layouts reside in .yaml files on

~/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards

...which doesn't exist. So I made one, and edited my version of sr.yaml, put it there (using syncthing, which works miraculously). Still doesn't catch. Searching through files, I see there's some trace of squeekboard, but no recognizable keyboard files anywhere.

I'm at my wits end - was there anything changed in the mechanism? Perhaps current Mobian doesn't even use squeekboard anymore? Where are the layout files?
(08-22-2022, 12:58 AM)Eugo Wrote: This is almost a showstopper - the choice of keyboard layouts is very sparse in current Mobian, and I can't quite find a way to make a new one.
I read almost everything that was written here on the subject, and followed the instructions on https://developer.puri.sm/projects/squee...orial.html

The trouble is that (megi's) distro of Mobian, and a few other descendants of Debian, includes about eight keyboards for major languages, and then there's the „other“ section, where I found both of my serbian keyboards (cyrillic and latinic) listed. However, when I select one of these, nothing happens, the layout remains american. So I found that the layouts reside in .yaml files on

~/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards

...which doesn't exist. So I made one, and edited my version of sr.yaml, put it there (using syncthing, which works miraculously). Still doesn't catch. Searching through files, I see there's some trace of squeekboard, but no recognizable keyboard files anywhere.

I'm at my wits end - was there anything changed in the mechanism? Perhaps current Mobian doesn't even use squeekboard anymore? Where are the layout files?

No idea where the "installed" keyboards go, but I have my own (gb.yaml) in
~/.local/share/squeekboard/keyboards/terminal/
and it selects & works just fine when I select the terminal option on the default keyboard.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Okay, after re-flashing megi's distro and restoring the /home (so I don't lose the eight phone numbers I typed), I messed more with keyboards and now I finally have the four layout files - rs.yaml (cyrillic), rs+latin.yaml and the wide versions. Mostly stole from the czech outline, just replaced the labels and removed the accented character views - we have only 5 of those and they fit on base page.

Now I'd like to share this, but frankly I'm 67 and a bit too old to learn git for just eight kilobytes altogether. It would be my seventh repository system over the last 20 years, and its logic is too different, words have different meanings... So, if anyone of Squeekboard folks is interested, send me a private message with an email address to send them to.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  icon keyboard chris_02 3 303 02-09-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Keyboard not popping up on QT apps 3x5co 1 163 02-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Keyboard keeps disappearing the moment it's touched jojuma 1 433 10-29-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: walter1950
  New keyboard issue sandspur 29 11,660 10-05-2023, 02:27 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  Unable to do initial setup of Weather due to keyboard LibrePhoneUser 2 1,022 07-07-2023, 03:29 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,104 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Would creating a 2 row landscape keyboard be difficult? rp3 1 1,041 09-09-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PP Keyboard doesn't charge Pinephone (Mobian) jojuma 1 1,158 08-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Last Post: elode
  PP keyboard not working at all jojuma 3 1,696 08-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Proximity sensor is oversensitive (was "Screen blanks when making call") treebeard 5 2,650 08-02-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: treebeard