Modem Firmware Upgrade - Modem Busy - USB Issues
(edit)***Following the thread below I got the problem solved, turns out sudo su is needed and sudo is not enough permissions to flash the modem***

https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...k/releases

It has been suggested that upgrading the firmware on the modem can help Bookworm users get GPS working.
There is no mention in the troubleshooting if I cant even pass the AT commands as it shows the port busy.
I am running a 3/32gb upgrade board PP.
Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2
-bash: /dev/ttyUSB2: Device or resource busy

No AT commands means no fastboot possible, no fastboot means no upgrade.

Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.ubi && fastboot reboot
< waiting for any device >

I am concerned as I understand the GPS device should be on USB1 modem on USB2 but we see.(anyone can post their lsusb to see if there is a difference)

Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 2c7c:0125 Quectel Wireless Solutions Co., Ltd. EC25 LTE modem
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I'm nut sure if lsusb lists the (sub-)functions of the USB device.
The modem knows the following tty:
Code:
mmcli -m any --output-keyvalue | grep -F modem.generic.ports.value
modem.generic.ports.value[1]                    : cdc-wdm0 (qmi)
modem.generic.ports.value[2]                    : ttyUSB0 (qcdm)
modem.generic.ports.value[3]                    : ttyUSB1 (gps)
modem.generic.ports.value[4]                    : ttyUSB2 (at)
modem.generic.ports.value[5]                    : wwan0 (net)
The kernel knows the following tty:
Code:
tree /dev/serial/by-id/
/dev/serial/by-id/
├── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
├── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if01-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB1
├── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if02-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB2
└── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if03-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB3
(08-21-2022, 03:25 AM)jsch Wrote: I'm nut sure if lsusb lists the (sub-)functions of the USB device.
The modem knows the following tty:
Code:
mmcli -m any --output-keyvalue | grep -F modem.generic.ports.value
modem.generic.ports.value[5]                    : wwan0 (net)
The kernel knows the following tty:
Code:
tree /dev/serial/by-id/
/dev/serial/by-id/
├── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if00-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB0
├── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if01-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB1
├── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if02-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB2
└── usb-Quectel__Incorporated_LTE_Module_community_fw-if03-port0 -> ../../ttyUSB3

got it; I also show same from mmcli -m any --output-keyvalue | grep -F modem.generic.ports.value
I still don't know why AT commands get refused
Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ mmcli -m any --output-keyvalue | grep -F modem.generic.ports.value
modem.generic.ports.value[5]                    : ttyUSB3 (at)
modem.generic.ports.value[6]                    : wwan0 (net)
For what it is worth, I also tried sudo echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2 to try to get fastboot mode, same answer: Device or resource busy
(08-21-2022, 02:22 AM)biketool Wrote: https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...k/releases

It has been suggested that upgrading the firmware on the modem can help Bookworm users get GPS working.
There is no mention in the troubleshooting if I cant even pass the AT commands as it shows the port busy.
Code:

If I recall correctly and from https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...issues/135 you need to run this from a root shell, so run 'sudo su' to enter root shell and then it should work.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
(08-21-2022, 05:00 AM)dcinoz Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 02:22 AM)biketool Wrote: https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...k/releases

Code:

If I recall correctly and from https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...issues/135 you need to run this from a root shell, so run 'sudo su' to enter root shell and then it should work.

tried that now too, I am not a master of the functional differences between sudoing and running as su but it has almost never been important to my work
Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for mobian:
root@mobian:/home/mobian# sudo echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2
root@mobian:/home/mobian# fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.ubi && fastboot reboot
< waiting for any device >

I also tried ADB as below from https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...LASHING.md
Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ sudo adb reboot bootloader
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
error: no devices/emulators found
same result as above when run as root
I just tried it and it worked for me (tried with sudo echo in root and that doesn't work, already sudo as root@mobian).

Code:
mobian@mobian:~/Downloads$ sudo su
root@mobian:/home/mobian/Downloads# echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2
root@mobian:/home/mobian/Downloads# fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.ubi && fastboot reboot
Sending 'modem' (40064 KB)                        OKAY [  1.399s]
Writing 'modem'                                    OKAY [ 15.217s]
Finished. Total time: 16.629s
Rebooting                                          OKAY [  0.004s]
Finished. Total time: 0.055s

To see firmware version:
Code:
root@mobian:/home/mobian/Downloads# mmcli -m any --command='AT+GMR'
response: 'EG25GGBR07A08M2G'
(ADSP Version 30.006.30.006)
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
(08-21-2022, 05:36 AM)dcinoz Wrote: I just tried it and it worked for me (tried with sudo echo in root and that doesn't work, already sudo as root@mobian).

Code:
mobian@mobian:~/Downloads$ sudo su
root@mobian:/home/mobian/Downloads# echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2
root@mobian:/home/mobian/Downloads# fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.ubi && fastboot reboot
Sending 'modem' (40064 KB)                        OKAY [  1.399s]
Writing 'modem'                                    OKAY [ 15.217s]
Finished. Total time: 16.629s
Rebooting                                          OKAY [  0.004s]
Finished. Total time: 0.055s

To see firmware version:
Code:
root@mobian:/home/mobian/Downloads# mmcli -m any --command='AT+GMR'
response: 'EG25GGBR07A08M2G'
(ADSP Version 30.006.30.006)

Voodoo electronics, I cut/pasted from your post and it worked, is it different than mine??  Anyways it flashed, lets go GPS?
(edit)
Getting useful results from the GPS now, (sudo watch -n 5 mmcli -m any --location-get) still waiting for it to update almanac as I dont like to use wireless nodes to speed up a fix, not locked yet, but receiving satellite signals.

still relevant there are four firmware versions, how to choose which, the git page
https://github.com/the-modem-distro/pine...k/releases
is pretty vague about choosing the one "which works best for you"

(edit2)
Can anyone explain why I can run gnome maps for 30 min and never get a GPS lock but maybe 30sec of running the puremaps and it finally gets a location in sudo journalctl -u geoclue.service -n 20 as well as all apps.
I reject the stupid voodoo aspect we are not Adeptus Mechanicus, but I do not see a good causal connection.
(08-21-2022, 06:07 AM)biketool Wrote: Voodoo electronics, I cut/pasted from your post and it worked, is it different than mine??  Anyways it flashed, lets go GPS?

Excellent news, glad it worked!

You had
'sudo echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2'
as root and that doesn't work (not a sudo / su expert) whereas
'echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2' does...

Hope GPS works better.
More news...
I don't know if this is modem firmware or the OS upgrades; I cant do data or phonecalls now, they drop without ringing out.
I did try all four firmware versions though, but any option I choose in the mobile network crashes the settings GUI.
(edit)
I just received a call, now calling works in and out; but still cant go data. WHere is the .conf file for the dialer and other mobile network settings?
(edit)
***IT WAS THE MOBIAN AUGUST 2022 OS UPDATES PROBLEM, AFTER A ROLLBACK REINSTALL MOBILE DATA IS FINE AFTER CHOOSING AN APN***
I am not sure this was such an issue with the factory firmware but now I am having an issue where after 12-24 hours I show 4g and full bars but cant receive calls or SMSs, a quick phone reboot(vs going into terminal and rebooting just the modem) as I needed to make a call and I get a huge backlog of SMSs and modem is OK.
I have done this a few times now and it seems to be an issue.

Maybe I should make a startup script daemon to reboot the modem every few hours.
Anyone have a better idea?

(edit) for a baseline I re-flashed to ADSP Version 01.002.01.002

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  MODEM - Usb problem & couldn't query SIM slots: QMI protocol freelectro 5 2,602 06-06-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: freelectro
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,061 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  ModemManager debug mode? (Needed to flash modem) calinb 1 1,128 02-27-2023, 04:18 PM
Last Post: calinb
  No boot after upgrade: vibration, red LED, then 2 vibrations and yellow LED 3x5co 1 922 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Receive MMS fails after Nov 27 upgrade treebeard 17 5,552 12-12-2022, 05:09 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Dist-upgrade and Chatty vs Gnome-Contacts biketool 9 3,805 09-30-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Lot of issues after flashing mobian to emmc with tow-boot benedikt55 5 2,505 08-30-2022, 01:14 PM
Last Post: benedikt55
  New Tow-boot release, how to upgrade? user641 3 1,771 08-23-2022, 08:45 AM
Last Post: user641
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 9,812 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble