Grabbag of beginner questions
Hello! New to the pinephone world, just got my PPP a few days ago. So far, I've installed Tow-boot (spi) and pmOS with Phosh (emmc) and been able to get SMS and mobile data working. I've got a few questions:
  1. How do I remove the SIM? It's one of the new ones with a nano, and it fits so perfectly snug/flush that it doesn't seem like it can be removed. With all the posts about broken SIM readers, I figured I'd ask before becoming the next victim.
  2. When booting, it's prioritizing the SD card, whether or not I hold power and volume down (before you ask, it's definitely an Explorer, and the LED reacts appropriately when I hold the volume buttons, so I'm pretty sure tow-boot is running).
  3. It's stuck thinking that it's charging even when not plugged in. I saw someone say using Mobian unstable fixes this, but wondering if there's a fix for pmOS.
(08-19-2022, 06:26 PM)Decima Wrote: Hello! New to the pinephone world, just got my PPP a few days ago. So far, I've installed Tow-boot (spi) and pmOS with Phosh (emmc) and been able to get SMS and mobile data working. I've got a few questions:
  1. How do I remove the SIM? It's one of the new ones with a nano, and it fits so perfectly snug/flush that it doesn't seem like it can be removed. With all the posts about broken SIM readers, I figured I'd ask before becoming the next victim.
  2. When booting, it's prioritizing the SD card, whether or not I hold power and volume down (before you ask, it's definitely an Explorer, and the LED reacts appropriately when I hold the volume buttons, so I'm pretty sure tow-boot is running).
  3. It's stuck thinking that it's charging even when not plugged in. I saw someone say using Mobian unstable fixes this, but wondering if there's a fix for pmOS.
I found the answer to question 2: https://gitlab.com/postmarketOS/pmaports/-/issues/1531 looks like I was just getting "unlucky" with the coin flip consistently picking the SD card.
(08-19-2022, 06:26 PM)Decima Wrote: Hello! New to the pinephone world, just got my PPP a few days ago. So far, I've installed Tow-boot (spi) and pmOS with Phosh (emmc) and been able to get SMS and mobile data working. I've got a few questions:

Re question 1. The SIm is certainly a tight fit. I used two fine watchmakers screwdrivers one each side of the SIM, leavering both at the same time until I got the SIM out enough to grab hold of it..

Hello Decima,

Question 1: Remove the sd-card, then pull the small aluminium notch out with your fingernail.

Greetings from another newbie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginner howto ionmich 11 3,485 01-13-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: J T
  Interested in a Pinephone, but have some questions jilek 8 3,438 02-10-2023, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Piotr
  New user. Very excited as this is my first linux phone...have a few questions 98cwitr 4 2,499 05-25-2022, 06:31 AM
Last Post: 98cwitr
  Battery questions For_lack_of_a_better_name 5 2,902 02-26-2022, 11:45 PM
Last Post: lllsondowlll