Volunteer firefighter needs help forwarding alam message
Hi,

I'm a volunteer firefighter. We use dual alarm so the mobile phone is just a backup. I now use my pinephone as a daily driver and usually do no longer carry an android phone with the alarm software around.

So i was thinking about forwarding the alarm notification to my pinephone (and ideally other Linux devices because the PP still isn't really reliable). I do have a solution where the Android device sits at home and the notification of the alarm app is forwarded via email (i use Macrodroid to do this). But it takes time for the email to arrive so this solution is far from perfect (i still have to figure out how to forward the full notification text, too). The ideal (?) solution probably would to use something like gotify but i have no idea how to feed that software the info from the alarm app notification.

So, please, can anyone think of a solution to forward notfifications from an Android phone to Linux devices in real time (or at least as fast as possible), ideally using my Linux server so i don't let anyone peek into the confidential messages? I would prefer not using SMS and the alarm app will not work under Waydroid as it needs google play store to obtain the information needed to register with the server.
"the alarm app is forwarded via email" Just send the email to your phone number at the service provider to get a text instead.

example:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27051/us...-for-free/

Not possible with my (German) provider, unfortunately
Maybe forwarding the message via XMPP might work faster and more reliable for you?

I have been running my own XMPP server (Prosody) for years and it runs flawless. Truly what I would call 'instant messaging'. That takes some setting up though. You could perhaps start testing it out using someone else's server.

Then some glue to forward the SMS to XMPP on the Android phone.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
That is my problem, really. I'm usually fine with the Linux part oft things (and i do run a XMPP Server). 

What i don't really understand is how to make my Android phome send something to my Linux server or to the PP directly that they unterstand. I need to grab a notification from  the alarm app (NOT a SMS) and forward it.
Have you looked on F-Droid? There are all kind of little tools in there that people have made. Perhaps something might work for you.

There is this MAXS framework that I played around with once, it does things via XMPP and can be tied into many Android systems for automation. I am sure there are probably other ways, too.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Either stop being a volunteer or stop using your preferred, but unsupported device (or use case) at the moment by the organization you're part of.

Using a phone with gnu/linux, *bsd variant or other free OS is cool, but please, don't be irresponsible with people's live, property and livelihood!
(08-20-2022, 02:16 AM)bosi564 Wrote: Either stop being a volunteer or stop using your preferred, but unsupported device (or use case) at the moment by the organization you're part of.

Using a phone with gnu/linux, *bsd variant or other free OS is cool, but please, don't be irresponsible with people's live, property and livelihood!

That's not very helpful. Like i said: There is at least 1 device i carry around that sounds the alarm. The phone is just a backup.
Yes, I was wishing for you to reconsider.

I believe it's too early for the phone to be a backup device for anything serious. I would return to a more mainstream phone in a heartbeat if there was a need for me to be available in emergencies.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phosh message notifications issue itstoughtofocus 2 2,668 08-15-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: nemsys
  Phone Shell Nextcloud message notifications: turn them off? lsitongia 0 1,203 09-28-2021, 11:04 AM
Last Post: lsitongia
  Onboard answering/message app bcnaz 1 1,865 08-23-2021, 10:32 AM
Last Post: wibble
  X11 Forwarding skydel0 2 2,740 02-16-2021, 10:44 AM
Last Post: skydel0