Touchpad Issues - August 2022 Run
Hey everyone,

Just got my hands on the Pinebook Pro I ordered from this month's batch, and I'm having touchpad issues (specifically the lagginess that has been reported priorly).

However, since all of the fix threads I can find are two years old, wanted to ask if there is there a consensus on what the best first plan of attack is right now? Firmware update? Kernel recompile?

Peace,
-S
(08-08-2022, 07:53 PM)SteveCaruso Wrote: Hey everyone,

Just got my hands on the Pinebook Pro I ordered from this month's batch, and I'm having touchpad issues (specifically the lagginess that has been reported priorly).

However, since all of the fix threads I can find are two years old, wanted to ask if there is there a consensus on what the best first plan of attack is right now? Firmware update? Kernel recompile?

Peace,
-S

Same here. Have tried fussing with settings which has made some improvements but two biggest issues are:
1 - Pointer drifts a few pixels after stopping (difficult to click on small buttons, window edges, etc.)
2 - Two finger vertical scrolling is abhorrent. Zooms up and down the page. Unable to find settings to adjust this at all. Have resorted to arrow keys whenever possible.

Side note: I also have the loud 'clack' or 'pop' sound from speakers that others have noted. Occurs twice at power on and then at random times while using. (Not related to this thread, just putting out there.)
Just wanted to confirm I am experiencing the same as you guys (both touchpad issues + popping sound). There are already some threads around about the popping. I will install Armbian and i3, which is mostly keyboard-centric anyway, so I might not bother looking too much into the touchpad issues (personally) but I will follow the thread all the same.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(08-08-2022, 07:53 PM)SteveCaruso Wrote: Hey everyone,

Peace,
-S

Something that worked for me was swapping the desktop variant to X1 (After restarting your pinebook pro it will give you an option to change the desktop), and all of a sudden all of my issues with the mouse pad were fixed. Some people suggested to do a firmware update however that didn't work for me at all.
Can confirm all of the above with the stock configuration out of the box. The mouse behaves much better under Manjaro GNOME than the stock KDE system (if you're willing to go that route). However, I still get the audio "pop" under both systems.

CC
The touchpad works much better (imo) on KDE if the acceleration profile is set to "Flat".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 527 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,419 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
  128GB Module not booting on 2022 Pinebook Pro batch JessicaQ 0 1,019 08-12-2022, 06:41 AM
Last Post: JessicaQ
Question PINEBOOK Pro USB-C Docking Deck issues pawzy 3 4,787 06-19-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Rosbeefandino
  Touchpad notchy on new 2021 pinebook pro Neilcob 21 19,287 07-28-2021, 09:14 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Pinebook Pro Boot Issues - Booting needs multiple attempts mtndew 13 17,051 10-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Last Post: wdt
  PBP Battery issues. Drainage on load with external accessories WhiteDragon 11 14,528 09-02-2020, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Nora No
Question Mouse unresponsive, keyboard issues...static noise after login mamboozo 0 2,038 09-01-2020, 09:48 PM
Last Post: mamboozo
  Major keyboard and touchpad fiemware issues Nick_dnepr 5 6,696 08-03-2020, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Nick_dnepr
  Keyboard transplant issues U47 3 4,748 07-06-2020, 09:10 PM
Last Post: U47