Is the Pinephone good for me?
I've been thinking of buying a Pinephone for quite a while now, but I don't really know if it's really the perfect phone for me, or if there's better.
I just want a phone for basic calling and messaging and also to goof around with a pocket terminal while staying open, and for relatively cheap.
For now I'm thinking of a Pinephone(Pro) with the keyboard shell.

Thanks.
I found the Pinephone to be not very good at even being a basic phone. Often it wouldn't take calls and I found the battery life to be quite bad, so probably not.

It's a great pocket linux device but I just couldn't use mine as a phone and the battery life stopped me for even using it as portable device very much.

EDIT: I have not tried the Pro
for your case pinephone might be for you with catches.

cons:
poor battery life, although keyboard case helps).
lot of bugs.
it is not android, most android apps do not work. and android virtualization is heavy anyway.

pros:
it is not android, android have limited environment.
it is linux (distribution) based (actually). (i call android as fake linux).

i still have de-googled android, termux (or other console) could be installed on android but termux operates inside android app environment, therefore limitations. even if you use android su, android's core environment is limited but different ways. android is designed in a way that apps are developed outside of android devices.
(07-20-2022, 04:38 AM)zetabeta Wrote: for your case pinephone might be for you with catches.

cons:
poor battery life, although keyboard case helps).
lot of bugs.
it is not android, most android apps do not work. and android virtualization is heavy anyway.

pros:
it is not android, android have limited environment.
it is linux (distribution) based (actually). (i call android as fake linux).

i still have de-googled android, termux (or other console) could be installed on android but termux operates inside android app environment, therefore limitations. even if you use android su, android's core environment is limited but different ways. android is designed in a way that apps are developed outside of android devices.

For the battery life, yeah I think that's a problem, but most of the time I either am near a plug, or my phone is off, so eh.
For bugs, I am not really afraid + the software *will* get better overtime with updates and all.
For the whole "not-compatible-with-Android", most of the apps I use either are useless, or there is a free Linux alternative available.

However I am kinda scared by the first reply about missed calls... Did you have such problems too? And I'm wondering if I should just get a Pinephone or a PPP, knowing that I don't want to pay all that much, and still want to have a smoother experience than the one I used to have(a 2018 J250Y).
A similar question was asked in the Mobian board not long ago, my own take on it is currently the last response there:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=16997
Well, after thinking about it, I'll wait for a while for the software ecosystem to get better, then will get a PPP.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,131 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 463 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,604 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma