Low Disk Space on Filesystem root
Hello everybody,

I am trying to make a fresh install on my Pinephone, but it results in a device that is not booting anymore. I am flashing mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20220621.img to eMMC and the installation works as usual. After the installation I run apt update and apt upgrade and get this message in the status bar:

Low Disk Space on "Filesystem root"
The volume "Filesystem root" has only
166.3 MB disk space remaining.

The update process shows a littlebit later: No more disk space available.

Code:
cp: Fehler beim Schreiben von '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_sbR54T//usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz.so.0.20704.0':
Auf dem Gerät ist kein Speicherplatz mehr verfügbar
ERROR: Couldn't copy /bin/osk-sdl
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/osk-sdl failed with return 1.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.15-sunxi64 with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
I: u-boot-menu: syncing /usr/lib/linux-image-5.15-sunxi64 to /boot/dtb-5.15-sunxi64
P: Checking for EXTLINUX directory... found.
P: Writing config for vmlinuz-5.15-sunxi64...
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes linux-image-5.15-sunxi64 (--configure):
»installiertes post-installation-Skript des Paketes linux-image-5.15-sunxi64«-Unterprozess gab den Fehlerwert 1
zurück

I never had this disk space problem before, when I made a fresh installation. How should I make the installation and update to get a working system?
Found this in the FAQ:

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...ow-on-boot

And in the list of updates:

linux-image-5.15-sunxi64/bookworm 5.15.50+sunxi64-2 arm64 [aktualisierbar von: 5.15.44+sunxi64-1]

But I can't get it work with this instruction, the package linux-image-sunxi64 can not be found:

Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ sudo apt install linux-image-sunxi64
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut… Fertig
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
E: Paket linux-image-sunxi64 kann nicht gefunden werden.
I had the same issue.  I did a clean reinstall a week ago or so, and everything went fine, but when I was trying to install some software, it told me I was low on storage space.

So, I don't know what the proper way to deal with this is, but what I did was to boot the phone in USB mass storage mode, connect it to my computer, then use the partition manager on my computer to resize the partition.
Thanks for the hint! In fact there is something wrong with the partitions:

Code:
sdb      8:16   1    29G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   1   504M  0 part
└─sdb2   8:18   1   3.5G  0 part

And the next question ... how can I change the size of the partitions on the encrypted PinePhone? Why the installer does that not automatically?
So I did not find out how to solve the problem, but I found a workaround to get the PinePhone work again:

I went back to mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20220529.img and then apt update and apt upgrade worked.
Next try with a fresh install. The installer from 14.08.2022 still does not work for me. Same problem with low disk space as before.

How is it possible to make a complete update of the system from console as "Software-App" crashes?

Is it possible to change language settings from console as also settings crashes, when I want to change the language in "Regions & Language"?
(07-06-2022, 12:27 PM)ichbins Wrote: Hello everybody,

I am trying to make a fresh install on my Pinephone, but it results in a device that is not booting anymore. I am flashing mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20220621.img to eMMC and the installation works as usual. After the installation I run apt update and apt upgrade and get this message in the status bar:

Low Disk Space on "Filesystem root"
The volume "Filesystem root" has only
166.3 MB disk space remaining.

The update process shows a littlebit later: No more disk space available.

Code:
cp: Fehler beim Schreiben von '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_sbR54T//usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libharfbuzz.so.0.20704.0':
Auf dem Gerät ist kein Speicherplatz mehr verfügbar
ERROR: Couldn't copy /bin/osk-sdl
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/osk-sdl failed with return 1.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.15-sunxi64 with 1.
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools exited with return code 1
I: u-boot-menu: syncing /usr/lib/linux-image-5.15-sunxi64 to /boot/dtb-5.15-sunxi64
P: Checking for EXTLINUX directory... found.
P: Writing config for vmlinuz-5.15-sunxi64...
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes linux-image-5.15-sunxi64 (--configure):
»installiertes post-installation-Skript des Paketes linux-image-5.15-sunxi64«-Unterprozess gab den Fehlerwert 1
zurück

I never had this disk space problem before, when I made a fresh installation. How should I make the installation and update to get a working system?

Emmc/SD card not being expanded on the Pinephone

On specific Pinephone installer images the storage medium Mobian is installed to does not get expanded to the full disk size. This can cause storage issues but can be fixed on the Pinephone in the terminal.

Assuming a ext4 setup.

First install parted by running

sudo apt install parted

Next, use parted on the correct drive

sudo parted /dev/mmcblkX

put 2 if its on a emmc. 0 for sd card verify with lsblk

To further verify run

print

Resize the second partition

resizepart 2 100%

Verify it has changed with

print

If you have FDE(Full Disk Encryption) setup run this to resize the encrypted device. If not using disk encryption skip this command.

sudo cryptsetup resize calamares_crypt

Next, resize the ext4 filesystem.

sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/calamares_crypt

check the result with

df -h

This should fix the issue with file expansion on a fresh install.

If you have problems with parted I saved this from the faq and had to use the updated resize --> resizepart commands https://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html
Sorry for my late response, biketool, and many thanks for your detailed description! Today I made a fresh install and expanded the partition and installed updates without "problems".

Actually the point is that "Software" and "Settings" are crashing and not working. So any hints how to change settings via console are welcome ...
(08-28-2022, 04:00 AM)ichbins Wrote: Sorry for my late response, biketool, and many thanks for your detailed description! Today I made a fresh install and expanded the partition and installed updates without "problems".

Actually the point is that "Software" and "Settings" are crashing and not working. So any hints how to change settings via console are welcome ...

Happy to help, we all make maemo better when we post issues and document the fixes both in the forum and on the mobian wiki.
here is my reinstall guite which includes a cleaner how-to fo rthe disk size issue.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17205
The „Software“ not working, in my previous flash of Mobian, seems like the problem that I saw on Ubuntu a few years ago - it would show just „...“ in most of the categories and wouldn't open anything. The problem was in the language files, some translations were missing for my language, and instead of falling back to english, it displayed the „...“ and did nothing. It was fixed in Ubuntu around 2019, but obviously the fix wasn't passed upstream.

As for settings, I'm presently upgrading from whichever date is in Megi's distro to current, so we'll see. This time I left the language at english and just used my regional settings and keyboards, but didn't switch the language, for now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  boot gets stuck shortly after disk decryption vortex 8 3,770 02-13-2023, 02:11 AM
Last Post: sharase
  low disk space on file system root revisited benedikt55 2 1,394 09-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: benedikt55
  Does mobian use a root account and password? rp3 6 7,546 04-04-2022, 07:26 PM
Last Post: parry
  Enter disk decryption passphrase error healthyliving101 3 2,942 09-07-2021, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Fenellakw
  Keyboard stopped working on disk encryption screen on Mobian after update cowsay 2 2,517 08-16-2021, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Encrypted ZFS as root filesystem 3939 0 1,197 08-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Last Post: 3939
  "Low Disk Space on Filesystem root" after installing Axolotl and Podcasts Anna 11 8,393 03-05-2021, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Anna
  Full disk encryption is coming a-wai 15 14,884 02-05-2021, 07:07 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Full Disk Encryption elagost 0 2,081 11-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: elagost
  not enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives HLing 7 8,074 07-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Last Post: HLing