Will the pinephone pro work for a simple user from israel
Hey guys and girls,

My name is daniel, i'm from israel.

I'm not a technical user, but the idea of free and open source software is deep in my heart and i believe in it
I dream about having an foss phone and from time to time i check on the internet about the progress the different projects are doing in this field...

I'm checking out the pinephone pro and i'm very curios
First of all will it work in Israel? i couldn't find any information about the worldwide compatibility
Second of all, i'm a really minimal phone user
I can use my bank web app, i just need calling and sms and web browsing to work
And whatsapp with anbox
So what do you think, can the pinephone pro work for me?

I will be very happy to hear you opinion
Thanks in ahead!
Daniel/Dani
(07-02-2022, 01:08 AM)danielgordover Wrote: Hey guys and girls,

I'm not a technical user, but the idea of free and open source software is deep in my heart and i believe in it
I dream about having an foss phone and from time to time i check on the internet about the progress the different projects are doing in this field...

First of all will it work in Israel? i couldn't find any information about the worldwide compatibility
And whatsapp with anbox

Thanks in ahead!
Daniel/Dani

Regarding the carrier support you can check which bands are supported by the modem and which your carrier is using, most times this should be fine as the modem supports a wide variety of world-wide bands. I still would say that the PinePhone Pro does not suite you. WhatsApp will not be usable in Waydroid or Anbox (no sensor access, various issues, suspend, no notifications etc.) and various features such as calling are still in a very early state in the Explorer Edition. The warnings everywhere must not be taken lightheartedly, such aus:

"The PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is aimed at Linux developers with an extensive knowledge of embedded systems and/or experience with mobile Linux."

Please make sure that you saw https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...e_software.

You best follow the discussions around the device in the community channels for some months before buying it prematurely, https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#Chat_Platforms
(07-02-2022, 04:33 AM)fxc Wrote:

And whatsapp with anbox

Thanks in ahead!
Daniel/Dani

Regarding the carrier support you can check which bands are supported by the modem and which your carrier is using, most times this should be fine as the modem supports a wide variety of world-wide bands. I still would say that the PinePhone Pro does not suite you. WhatsApp will not be usable in Waydroid or Anbox (no sensor access, various issues, suspend, no notifications etc.) and various features such as calling are still in a very early state in the Explorer Edition. The warnings everywhere must not be taken lightheartedly, such aus:

"The PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is aimed at Linux developers with an extensive knowledge of embedded systems and/or experience with mobile Linux."

Please make sure that you saw https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...e_software.

You best follow the discussions around the device in the community channels for some months before buying it prematurely, https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#Chat_Platforms

Thank you for you kind reply. I understand. I hope sometime in the future a well working, simple and Affordable free and open source phone will be available.
(07-02-2022, 05:32 AM)danielgordover Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 04:33 AM)fxc Wrote:

And whatsapp with anbox

Thanks in ahead!
Daniel/Dani

Thank you for you kind reply. I understand. I hope sometime in the future a well working, simple and Affordable free and open source phone will be available.

No worries. Don't feel deterred, you're welcome to join the community chat and join us in the discussions there.

And whatsapp with anbox

Thanks in ahead!
Daniel/Dani
pinephone works fine

at least manjaro phosh on golan

ezik

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 184 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 499 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 384 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 670 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 730 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,252 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 10,315 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 848 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,442 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,390 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack