Power supply vs battery
Hello  Smile
I'm I new owner of a Pinephone. After a few tests I decided to install Mobian Phosh.
To save battery life during the first tests I connected the phone to a power supply (0-30V, 0-5A).
I used a resistence to simulate the battery thermistor.
My power supply is regulated to 4.1V as measured from original battery.
The phone behaviour is very strange to me. Sometimes seem booting but is stuck with black screen, green led in the upper left corner lit and a current drain of 0,4A.
Sometimes it boots and seem to work correctly but if SIM is installed the phone turns off after a few minutes.
Anybody had related experiences or can give me any advice to make it work reliably as with battery?
Thanks and regards  Smile
I don't know what's causing those problem, but even if you got the phone to boot running off a power supply you would not be able to do much with it because the modem and wifi are connected directly to the battery and will not work without it.

The battery won't run down if the phone is connected to a suitable USB power supply while the phone is on. Charge level will just fluctuate a few percent due to the components that draw power directly from the battery.
I don't like using battery because even with charger always connected battery life is affected.
When the phone starts without SIM inserted the behaviour is almost correct. Wifi woks, modem accepts AT commands and the voltage reading done with AT+CBC is correct. The power supply is connected to battery contacts so the phone should make no difference if the voltage comes from a battery or not. Before it turns off with SIM inserted phone can sometimes receive and make calls.
Thanks  Smile
(06-21-2022, 06:38 AM)albafrati Wrote: I don't like using battery because even with charger always connected battery life is affected.
When the phone starts without SIM inserted the behaviour is almost correct. Wifi woks, modem accepts AT commands and the voltage reading done with AT+CBC is correct. The power supply is connected to battery contacts so the phone should make no difference if the voltage comes from a battery or not. Before it turns off with SIM inserted phone can sometimes receive and make calls.
Thanks  Smile

WiFi and Modem are wired directly to the battery due to technical reasons if I remember correctly.
I don't understand what you mean by that. Connected directly or not every piece of hardware is powered by the battery, if I substitute it with a power supply the phone should work.
On my phone battery has contacts that touches when is installed, removing it and connecting a power supply to those contacts powers the phone.
The modem is visible... removing the cover... and at this moment powered by the power supply. Now I connected also an oscilloscope to measure possible voltage fluctuations but at the moment SIM is installed, everything's working (wifi, ssh, mobile network, etc.) and I'm waiting for the phone to turn off suddenly.
I didn't realize you were connecting directly to the phone's battery contacts, thought you were using the USB connection which would not have powered everything up without the battery.
What's the current limit on your supply set to? The reason the wifi and modem have direct connections is because they sometimes draw high current when transmitting. I don't know how much but it's probably in the datasheets (see the wiki). If current peaks trip the current limit and cause the voltage to drop odd things will happen.
After hours of trial and error I choose 2.3A of max current though I've never seen it raising over 1.3A.
At the moment slightly increasing voltage to 4.2V I reached decent stability.
The only thing I still cannot solve is that powering on the phone it stucks booting, as I described in the first post, 2, 3 or 4 times before starting correctly.
The bootloader should show something via the serial console on the headphone port that may help narrow down what's going wrong. Can't help with the details as I've never had reason to try it.
I should have a broken headphone... as soon as I find it I'll cut the cable, give it a try. and let you know.
Thank you  Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 365 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  Battery life improvement freelectro 10 2,944 06-01-2023, 08:27 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinephone - broken power button rorus 10 8,819 05-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Last Post: kbm
Thumbs Down Battery Issue or Power Management IC? bcoyle 2 1,411 03-20-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: bcoyle
  What PD charger/dock combo results in PP battery not draining while using convergence james8880 0 1,390 04-28-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: james8880
  Battery mot charging past 54% StickyPine 32 25,295 02-26-2022, 02:07 AM
Last Post: vusra
  Power consumption during the call some_pinephone_user 0 1,094 10-29-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: some_pinephone_user
  on off power button stopped working dcinoz 3 2,450 09-01-2021, 03:26 AM
Last Post: dcinoz
  Won't boot until connected to power after sudden power loss brb78 1 1,663 08-30-2021, 12:41 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Battery replacement alternative sax1960 7 6,112 08-29-2021, 07:03 AM
Last Post: bcnaz