No audio from HDMI with usb-c adapter
I'm unable to play audio through an HDMI cable connected to an LG TV using a usb-c adapter from QGeeM. Video works fine.
I've tried both pulse audio and pipewire. I'm running Manjaro.

Does anyone else have this issue?
(06-18-2022, 09:52 PM)rfm83 Wrote: I'm unable to play audio through an HDMI cable connected to an LG TV using a usb-c adapter from QGeeM. Video works fine.
I've tried both pulse audio and pipewire. I'm running Manjaro.

Does anyone else have this issue?

What device are you using? Pine Phone or the Pro?
If you have video the sound is coming from the device and not the LG?
Regardless I might look at other sound apps to install into Manjaro.
Perhaps one of them might have the correct driver for HDMI.
I have also noticed that when playing video on PP or my Pro the sound
emanates from device and not my Asus monitor. Not a serious thing for me
so I never investigated this but I might now.

Edit 1: I see your point I took a look at my PPP on HDMI and sound is strictly device.
In the sound options there is no "Line Out" nor "HDMI" option available.

Edit 2: I plugged in a small set of USB speakers and then I had sound options
but none were HDMI. I have USB without bass boost etc and with bass boost.
No HDMI.
I'm using the Pinebook Pro. The audio only comes out of the speakers on the Pinebook and not the LG TV or any other device the HDMI is connected to. It seems like a driver issue, but since it's through the usb-c port, I don't know if there needs to be a separate kernel module to enable audio on the port.
The description of the usb-c port on the Pinebook Pro only says it's capable of power, data and video. So this could be a hardware limitation too.
(06-19-2022, 11:14 AM)rfm83 Wrote: I'm using the Pinebook Pro. The audio only comes out of the speakers on the Pinebook and not the LG TV or any other device the HDMI is connected to. It seems like a driver issue, but since it's through the usb-c port, I don't know if there needs to be a separate kernel module to enable audio on the port.
The description of the usb-c port on the Pinebook Pro only says it's capable of power, data and video. So this could be a hardware limitation too.

Yeah as per my edits above no HDMI sound available at all. I agree  that it is a limitation but is it hardware or OS?
I'm using Arch Linux.
Hi,
I am using the Manjaro that came installed on the pinebook pro, which i try to keep up to date.
I inherited a TV, so bought the docking station sold here for the pinebook.
Connected using HDMI port on the docking station, i can confirm that audio to the external monitor never worked for me, however i was happy with the video output. I got around this by connecting the headphone output to a bluetooth transmitter that connects to a decent bluetooth speaker. (The internal bluetooth is too weak for the location of my speaker.) This worked very well for several months until Pamac told me an update for Manjaro is available, i updated, now there is no ability to configure a second monitor anymore, it is greyed out as if the monitor is not even there. This was very disappointing for me, i ended up buying a chromebook to replace this functionality which got broken. i am hopefull it will get better in a future update. Sorry, not much help but at least confirmation.
Thanks for the comments.
I can also confirm that my workaround for now is to use Bluetooth to connect to a PA speaker I use for the tv sound. So I use the usb-c to HDMI adapter to the TV video and Bluetooth to the speaker for sound. Works well.
Hopefully we get a firmware update or patch to make sound work through HDMI in the future (Assuming it is a software limitation).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken usb-c to hdmi with kernel 5.18+ rfm83 6 2,690 01-22-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: rfm83
  Got a PBP - batch(August/September) and the audio is not good(2 big issues) crazyquark 2 1,400 10-01-2022, 10:16 AM
Last Post: crazyquark
  Article: Build a Linux Driver for PineDio LoRa SX1262 USB Adapter lupyuen 3 3,003 05-26-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  For Sale: Pinebook Pro 64gb ANSI with NVMe Adapter Lumat 2 1,992 04-24-2022, 01:42 AM
Last Post: kylexd
  Workaround for crackling audio when music starts/stops pato3 1 2,478 07-28-2021, 12:26 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  alsamixer and audio scale settings- how to make persistent straightwalker 0 1,439 06-04-2021, 10:57 AM
Last Post: straightwalker
  Audio with Debian GloriousCoffee 5 7,169 10-15-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Mangled
  NVMe adapter separate order? powerful owl 5 5,530 07-27-2020, 10:02 PM
Last Post: powerful owl
  Procedure for getting replacement NVMe adapter for PBP? joshtemp123org 2 3,276 07-21-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: joshtemp123org
  Save your sanity: If you buy a PBP, buy a serial adapter and USB to eMMC adapter. Syonyk 11 12,714 06-30-2020, 10:28 AM
Last Post: manawyrm