C4 Labs Pine 64 Cases (Standard & LCD)
*UPDATE*

9/16/2016

DUSTIN:

Hey Matt,

I just got back yesterday evening and am ready to dive in head first. After tonight I will let you know if I think the official enclosure will help.

Thanks for being patient. I know you probably imagined having the board back by now.

ME:

It is what it is. I'm in no rush. Take all the time you need. I got 2 PlayBox LCD enclosures in the mail last week, so if you need one I can send one. Keep in mind easy access to the  SD card slot, power supply and power switches. Seems like common sense, but Pine failed hard in those parts. You should check out the forum, particularly the "enclosures" section, for complaints about pine's official design. Also, the PlayBox enclosure came with a longer 30 pin FFC. I have been searching for 6 pin FFC extensions, but no luck. Only viable option for that is to make one with two 6 pin breakout boards and connectors. I would have bought the components to put one together, but other priorities are on deck at the moment.

DUSTIN:

Great input! Ill send you pictures of the prototype (today or tomorrow) and see what you think.

ME:

I cannot wait to see something Smile
By the way, did you check out the video I mentioned? The one of the PlayBox being put together.

Matt

DUSTIN:

I did watch the video and got an idea for how to hold the screen... now to see if it actually works Smile

9/17/2016

DUSTIN:

Last night I figured out how to arrange everything in a case. Today I am going to recharge my batteries after traveling, but I think I am on track for a case. I wont lie I was pretty nervous at first because the arrangement of connectors is frustratingly inconvenient.

ME:

I completely agree, but I know if anybody can come up with a viable solution to Pine's official case, its you. You're going to pull some sales for sure when everything is complete. You're the man.
Somebody said "In Dustin, I'm trustin"

Get some rest man,
Matt
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hopefully we should have something within the next few days.

Matt
+1 me if I have helped you in any way. Thank you.
(09-18-2016, 08:49 PM)This sounds really interesting. I have been searching everywhere for an enclosure which will house the screen which this sounds like it will. I would be interested in hearing further infoApp Bluphire Wrote: *UPDATE*

9/16/2016

DUSTIN:

Hey Matt,

I just got back yesterday evening and am ready to dive in head first. After tonight I will let you know if I think the official enclosure will help.

Thanks for being patient. I know you probably imagined having the board back by now.

ME:

It is what it is. I'm in no rush. Take all the time you need. I got 2 PlayBox LCD enclosures in the mail last week, so if you need one I can send one. Keep in mind easy access to the  SD card slot, power supply and power switches. Seems like common sense, but Pine failed hard in those parts. You should check out the forum, particularly the "enclosures" section, for complaints about pine's official design. Also, the PlayBox enclosure came with a longer 30 pin FFC. I have been searching for 6 pin FFC extensions, but no luck. Only viable option for that is to make one with two 6 pin breakout boards and connectors. I would have bought the components to put one together, but other priorities are on deck at the moment.

DUSTIN:

Great input! Ill send you pictures of the prototype (today or tomorrow) and see what you think.

ME:

I cannot wait to see something Smile
By the way, did you check out the video I mentioned? The one of the PlayBox being put together.

Matt

DUSTIN:

I did watch the video and got an idea for how to hold the screen... now to see if it actually works Smile

9/17/2016

DUSTIN:

Last night I figured out how to arrange everything in a case. Today I am going to recharge my batteries after traveling, but I think I am on track for a case. I wont lie I was pretty nervous at first because the arrangement of connectors is frustratingly inconvenient.

ME:

I completely agree, but I know if anybody can come up with a viable solution to Pine's official case, its you. You're going to pull some sales for sure when everything is complete. You're the man.
Somebody said "In Dustin, I'm trustin"

Get some rest man,
Matt
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hopefully we should have something within the next few days.

Matt
*UPDATE*

9/20/2016

DUSTIN:

Just a quick update - I was at the shop until about midnight yesterday working on the pine case. Right now I'm still cutting prototypes out of MDF so it doesn't look like much, but the structure is starting to come together. I will be traveling around during g the middle of the day, but hope to finish the primary structure tonight.

ME:

Good deal man, I look forward to pictures!

DUSTIN:

It's getting close. Probably only a few more hours

Right now I am cutting pieces out of MDF, but you can start to see the structure. Obviously the screen is facing down.

[Image: IMG_0620_zpsxxnr39u3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0621_zpssxoucvu8.jpg]
(09-21-2016, 08:11 AM)Bluphire Wrote: *UPDATE*

9/20/2016

DUSTIN:

Just a quick update - I was at the shop until about midnight yesterday working on the pine case. Right now I'm still cutting prototypes out of MDF so it doesn't look like much, but the structure is starting to come together. I will be traveling around during g the middle of the day, but hope to finish the primary structure tonight.

ME:

Good deal man, I look forward to pictures!

DUSTIN:

It's getting close. Probably only a few more hours

Right now I am cutting pieces out of MDF, but you can start to see the structure. Obviously the screen is facing down.

[Image: IMG_0620_zpsxxnr39u3.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0621_zpssxoucvu8.jpg]
That looks amazing!  Can't wait to order one!  Take my money Dustin!
~Philip
very nice this is looking very good, any ideas when it will be for sale?
(09-22-2016, 02:16 AM)MobileFusion Wrote: very nice this is looking very good, any ideas when it will be for sale?

Have an occational peek at C4Labs' page on Etsy here for availability. They sell a lot of nice doodads for other SBCs as well, and some boardgame-accessories (aka Christmas-presents).

I can sincerely recommend these lads, as the items are shipped quickly, prices are great and the build quality far exceeded my expectations.
*UPDATE*

9/22/2016

DUSTIN:
Hey Matt,

I thought everything would come together a little faster than it did this evening, but a few of the last flaws were pretty stubborn. I think all the structure is figured out, but I need to get some sleep befor I make a few of the las decisions - like what layers will be clear or colored
-Dustin

ME:

Man, you were up late! Love the dedication. Hope to see a final product soon! Take a break =)
Matt
*UPDATE*

9/22/2016

DUSTIN:

I find that the only way product development gets done is if I burn a couple of barrels of midnight oil. It's a tricky balance, but I'm not married yet so I don't get into trouble for staying late Smile

I think I might remove some of the screws from around the screen because I decided that it makes a little busy, but I think everything is done. I will of course be making your's with fluorescent green Smile
[Image: IMG_0626_zpsz6oswjpj.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0628_zpswk49llb1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0629_zpscuw3gqaz.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0631_zpsqk350b4q.jpg]

I'm off to a friend's for dinner.

-Dustin

ME:

Very very nice! Maybe take note that the LCD images do not run a fan, so fan mounts are not needed, but some may wish to run their pine as a computer through a monitor and simply leave their pine assembled within the LCD case and simply swap the LCD sd card for an HDMI sd card image. Who really knows, but that's what I will probably do, so I like the idea of the fan mount holes. I am super excited to get this back from you.

It's funny you mentioned the part about not being married and free to do as you please as late as you please because I was wondering if you were married when I got your email at 1:30am haha.

In any case (no pun intended), I am very impressed with your handiwork. I find myself wondering what else I have that you can design a sick case around lol.

Enjoy your downtime my friend,
Matt
Very impressive will definitely be buying one soon. This really puts the polish on the pine project
Three words: Wow.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clear case PIne 64 with VESA100 LIPO , RTC holder, and mini fan holes killor 6 11,383 08-05-2017, 07:15 AM
Last Post: killor
  New Pine 64 Screen Case from C4Labs Dustin_C4Labs 11 18,694 07-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Last Post: tllim
Information Giving the Pine a trunk, a Playbox pedestal tommypine 7 9,954 07-16-2017, 01:51 AM
Last Post: selina3
  Official C4 Labs LCD Enclosure *UPDATED WITH ASSEMBLY VIDEO* Bluphire 12 24,607 01-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Learnincurve
  Do Pine sell a tablet back cover? brucezepplin 4 7,687 12-20-2016, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Bluphire
  Pine 64 in a pine box :) sgjava 5 9,457 11-18-2016, 12:24 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Suggestion for future cases from Pine evdboogerd 2 4,456 09-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Last Post: typerod
  LaserCut Pine Enclosure Macrois 10 12,959 08-31-2016, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Tarjei85
  Standard Mounting Standoffs from the Hardware Store MarkHaysHarris777 2 4,668 08-28-2016, 02:49 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Video Acrylic enclosure for PINE A64 killor 71 87,926 08-12-2016, 06:53 AM
Last Post: killor