Latest Manjaro breaks Keyboard Case (Again)?
Sad 
Hi, fellow user @Hook and I are getting flustered with the state of the keyboard case driver in Manjaro/Phosh. Looks like Mobian is having trouble too. I've commented in a few other places, including in the Manjaro forum, and it seems like we might be the only ones.

- Previous big update renamed the kb151 driver, effectively borking it. We used the userspace driver instead, which worked as expected.

- A week or so ago, the next big update seemed to restore the kernel driver BUT:
  - The current kernel driver is missing the punctuation accessible with fn-shift-# (including - and +)
  - Something is preventing the userspace driver from loading, even after disabling the renamed pinephone-keyboard module. So we end up with no keyboard.

Does anyone know what's going on? These are starting to feel like Windows updates  Wink

Another oddity - with the latest update, not all USB keyboards (connected to the Pinephone USB-C as a workaround) work anymore. I'm wondering if there is some defiant engineer out there determined to get us using the virtual keyboard.

This is so close to being the perfect pocket PC!
(06-08-2022, 08:15 AM)hollerpots Wrote: Hi, fellow user @Hook and I are getting flustered with the state of the keyboard case driver in Manjaro/Phosh. Looks like Mobian is having trouble too. I've commented in a few other places, including in the Manjaro forum, and it seems like we might be the only ones.

- Previous big update renamed the kb151 driver, effectively borking it. We used the userspace driver instead, which worked as expected.

- A week or so ago, the next big update seemed to restore the kernel driver BUT:
  - The current kernel driver is missing the punctuation accessible with fn-shift-# (including - and +)
  - Something is preventing the userspace driver from loading, even after disabling the renamed pinephone-keyboard module. So we end up with no keyboard.

Does anyone know what's going on? These are starting to feel like Windows updates  Wink

Another oddity - with the latest update, not all USB keyboards (connected to the Pinephone USB-C as a workaround) work anymore. I'm wondering if there is some defiant engineer out there determined to get us using the virtual keyboard.

This is so close to being the perfect pocket PC!

I followed this post on Reddit, and got the top row to work:

Quote:I had the same problem with the PinePhone Keyboards upper row extra symbols (+-_=~) not working using (danctnix) Arch with Plasma-Mobile and it took me a while to fix it since every guide I found so far was about phosh. That's why I am posting my solution here, hope it helps somebody.
  1. copy xkb/rules and xkb/symbols from https://codeberg.org/HazardChem/PinePhone_Keyboard into
    Code:
    /usr/share/X11/xkb
  2. Put
    Code:
    export XKB_DEFAULT_MODEL=ppkb
    in
    Code:
    sudoedit /etc/profile.d/ppkb
    and
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/profile.d/ppkb
  3. Install
    Code:
    plasma-desktop
    package, which gives you the keyboard settings menu which is missing from plasma-mobile
  4. Open the settings via gui or
    Code:
    plasma-open-settings kcm_keyboard
    , go to Advanced and search for something like "Key for switching into third keyboard layer" (my settings are in german, so it's probably a litte different) and select your preferred modifier key, like super or some alt key
  5. You probably need to reboot for the environment variable to be set, and after that it should work
It might also work if you skip 2.) and then set the the keyboard layout in the plasma-desktop keyboard settings menu, but I dont know since I used the method described above.Also, I think the
Code:
/usr/share/X11/xkb
directory is owned by
Code:
xkeyboard-config
package, so you might need to repeat this when it updates (or tell pacman not to update this package)
Hi, @graphicpanda444 thanks a ton for this info! I wanted to try it before replying but work got busy. Hope to get to it today, but wanted to show my appreciation.
(06-08-2022, 08:15 AM)hollerpots Wrote: Hi, fellow user @Hook and I are getting flustered with the state of the keyboard case driver in Manjaro/Phosh. Looks like Mobian is having trouble too. I've commented in a few other places, including in the Manjaro forum, and it seems like we might be the only ones.

I'm having the same issues as well. Updates randomly break the keyboard - it's not even recongised - and I too can't get the userspace driver to load correctly.

A full reflash of the OS works fine - until there's another update, at which point the keyboard stops working again.
(06-15-2022, 11:06 AM)prestelpirate Wrote:

I'm having the same issues as well. Updates randomly break the keyboard - it's not even recongised - and I too can't get the userspace driver to load correctly.

A full reflash of the OS works fine - until there's another update, at which point the keyboard stops working again.

Yeah, to circle back, I tried the steps linked from Reddit, including installing the plasma-desktop package. Unfortunately, it looks like it's making assumptions about my US locale, and doesn't give me an option for AltG with the Pinephone Keyboard layout. AltG usually isn't on US keyboards, sure, but this is a worldly keyboard, why would the layout remove it? Using other keys for the "3rd combo" trigger was unsuccessful.

I love Manjaro (and Arch of course), but I'm honestly looking around to see if there are any other distros more diligently focusing on Pinephone + Keyboard. Mobian seems to have the same pain. I get it, it's a beta device, but the repeat breaking updates is really turning a few of us off from what could be an awesome mini-Linux PDA. I'll poke at it a little more and report back.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro: Settings doesnt open nbh 0 559 09-24-2023, 05:25 PM
Last Post: nbh
  Can't get ring on Manjaro Pine Phone thorensjubilee 12 3,316 06-09-2023, 04:40 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Is Manjaro ARM a Rolling Release? jojuma 4 1,528 05-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Where Does Manjaro Phosh Store Its Custom Keystrokes? jakfish 0 782 04-25-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: jakfish
  Latest update Eugo 21 8,062 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,572 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
  Can't install Manjaro thorensjubilee 1 995 02-09-2023, 08:17 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,324 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,729 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
  Manjaro Plasma busted Chief 2 1,540 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Chief