Working video players?
Which video players do you use?

I tried some, but the only one working which has a usable UI for me so far is Clapper. But it has annoying artifacts appearing while playing and some minor image errors.

So maybe someone knows about an alternative?
You could try mpv.
I tried mpv. But initially it has no UI at all. You must set it as default app for playing videos and tap on the video file to open it with mpv. Then, while playing, the controls are hardly usable since they're extremly small.

Also not an optimal choice in my opinion, though it plays the files fine...
Last time I tried it VLC worked well.
Of course generally VLC is the first option to try. But in my case, the UI is completely unresponsive. I can set it as default video app. Then you can tap the file and it will be opened by VLC, but neither can I use the video controls nor the application controls. I have to close the whole app via the system control to stop playback.

So in my case, also not a real option...
(06-07-2022, 01:25 PM)jojuma Wrote: Which video players do you use?

I tried some, but the only one working which has a usable UI for me so far is Clapper. But it has annoying artifacts appearing while playing and some minor image errors.

So maybe someone knows about an alternative?

since playing videos and music is so bad from youtube i have setup my own jellyfin server to listen to music and watch the occasional movie.

i use spotdl to download the music
VLC, and Kodi both work well, the Gnome player wont play most codecs I have found; but as usual until we build players for the GPU(I forget the name of the experimental player) or we have an in-between software layer to access the video acceleration hardware we will get around an hour of play before depleting a full battery.

VLC requires dismissing the first play dialog by swiping it away in the app selector, after that it is normal VLC greatness except for battery burn, it does require scaling though.

Kodi works well and like VLC plays everything but the standard Estuary skin has no back button so you need a keyboard and the Phosh keyboard in the corner interferes with scaling and some inputs, Estouchy(Es-touch-y) skin has a back arrow for that input but it crashes most video stream plugins for now on pine while that skin works on an AMD64 linux laptop and an android(lineageos) tablet without crashing in my testing. It needs someone better at debugging python as to why estouchy crashes Kodi on pinephone/mobian.
You could try SMPlayer, it's GUI for MPV and MPLayer.

I have not tried it on Mobian but on Debian works very well.
For me the best working Video Player on Mobian is Kodi set to window mode, it plays all my music and videos without any problems.
Any other Video Player I tried so far has issues, like no UI or unresponsiveness or missing codec or turning a 480p video into a slideshow....
(06-08-2022, 10:51 AM)as365n4 Wrote: For me the best working Video Player on Mobian is Kodi set to window mode, it plays all my music and videos without any problems.
Any other Video Player I tried so far has issues, like no UI or unresponsiveness or missing codec or turning a 480p video into a slideshow....

What skin are you using?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,719 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The internal speaker stops working anonymous 6 813 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 963 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
  Possible Solution for Microphone Not Working Ferriah 0 903 02-13-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Squeekboard stopped working Zebulon Walton 2 1,099 11-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  suspend inhibit no longer working jsch 3 1,885 10-23-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,496 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  How to get Pinetime working with Pinephone arkadione 12 6,943 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fish
  Receiving SMS stopped working treebeard 11 5,237 08-12-2022, 10:31 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  PP keyboard not working at all jojuma 3 1,694 08-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: jojuma