New keyboard issue
Quote:The keyboard is working again with the latest update. The fn/symbol keys don't initially work, but can be fixed with the information at: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...ccessories

With the latest update of what? I'm on the latest version of stable and nothing is working. Are you using a weekly build?

Thanks for clarification.
If you use sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get upgrade does the output of the second command show any packages that are held back?
No, it says '0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.'
That's it.

Should I flash a weekly build? Are the drivers included there?
A little off topic but I recently tried OpenSUSE Phosh for the Pinephone and Fn + characters worked just as I first experienced them with Mobian. Alas, still no pipe "|" symbol.

sandspur
lesser wizard
Has something similar occurred again with the keyboard drivers? My keyboard is still charging and supplying power to the phone but I can no longer type using it. I am having to use the on screen keyboard.

Running 6.1-sunxi64 kernel from the eMMC.

Edit I assume the keyboard failure is as a result of an update but I am not 100% sure. I did replace the logic board in my keyboard earlier this year which restored the unit to full working order (both charging and working as a keyboard).

Edit 2: the keyboard has just suddenly started working again of its own accord. I rebooted and then shutdown and booted again earlier this morning neither of which helped. So I have no idea what is going on.

Edit 3: and now it has stopped working again. I am shutting down and going to remove the PinePhone from the case.

Edit 4: the keyboard behaves in the same way with a PPPRo, power OK but no response when keys are pressed. So it seems more likely to be a hardware failure than a driver issue. Especially as the keyboard starting working momentarily earlier this morning.
I just ran sudo dmesg | grep key

[ 0.289617] Initialise system trusted keyrings
[ 0.300614] Asymmetric key parser 'x509' registered
[ 2.515438] input: gpio-keys as /devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input0
[ 3.345855] arm_scpi: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[ 3.586007] pinephone-keyboard 2-0015: Found firmware version 1.0 features 0xf
[ 7.217923] systemd[1]: Starting keyboard-setup.service - Set the console keyboard layout...

Am I correct in assuming that the keyboard is found and that the firmware is being loaded?

Is this line "[ 3.345855] arm_scpi: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel" important? Does it relate to the keyboard modules?
About momentarily starting working: I think I got some extra time of use (in weeks) from my 2nd (out of 3, as of now) case by opening it to some specific angle where it worked fine as a keyboard too. This makes me believe that there is a cable wear or maybe connection point cracking…
(09-02-2023, 06:11 AM)zltpxqhp69o2 Wrote: About momentarily starting working: I think I got some extra time of use (in weeks) from my 2nd (out of 3, as of now) case by opening it to some specific angle where it worked fine as a keyboard too. This makes me believe that there is a cable wear or maybe connection point cracking…
If that is the problem with my keyboard then I was unable to find the sweet spot this morning when I tried a range of different angles.

Edit: I opened up the keyboard case this morning and unscrewed the circuit board. I could not see any obvious damage to the cables nor any loose connections. If it is something as simple as a worn cable then I can fix something like that. In the meantime I might just order a new circuit board. They are not expensive and in my experience do not tolerate getting hot very well. It could be that a component on the board got damaged as a result of a themal event say whilst charging on a PD charger.
I just remembered that I still have the default Manjaro image installed on the eMMC on my PPPro still. I will boot into that sometime with the PPPro in the keyboard case to see if the keyboard works under Manjaro.
(09-02-2023, 10:24 AM)grump_fiddle_reinstall Wrote: I just remembered that I still have the default Manjaro image installed on the eMMC on my PPPro still. I will boot into that sometime with the PPPro in the keyboard case to see if the keyboard works under Manjaro.

Finally got round to testing this. The keyboard does not work under Manjaro on my PPPRo either, which suggests a hardware fault with the keyboard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  icon keyboard chris_02 3 417 02-09-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Keyboard not popping up on QT apps 3x5co 1 240 02-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Keyboard keeps disappearing the moment it's touched jojuma 1 505 10-29-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: walter1950
  GStreamer Camera Issue (Unsupported pixformat: 0x56595559 with mbus code: 0x3001) sog8b 1 1,200 07-17-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: junelung
  Unable to do initial setup of Weather due to keyboard LibrePhoneUser 2 1,096 07-07-2023, 03:29 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,195 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Possible solutions to the battery draining issue? 3x5co 5 2,405 11-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,311 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  Would creating a 2 row landscape keyboard be difficult? rp3 1 1,112 09-09-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Making a new keyboard layout Eugo 2 1,486 08-28-2022, 04:15 AM
Last Post: Eugo