My Pine doesn't allow me to install to eMMC on different OS's
Tried several different ways to install Sailfish. But no matter how I try, when writing to eMMC memory it seems that nothing happens and then I get all kinds of errors:
  • ls: cannot access 'mmcblk2': No such file or directory
  • Error: The location 256MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • Error: The location 256MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • Error: The location 6250MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • The file mmcblk2 does not exist and no size was specified.
  • mke2fs 1.46.2 (28-Feb-2021)
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/root: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/boot: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.

Is it that I don't have the correct permissions? Which I would find strange, because I have really tried all kinds of ways. I used external terminal, I used Jumpdrive and I used terminal from the phone himself. Whatever I do, at the question Which SD card do you want to flash? nothing seems to work anymore

Could it be that I have a Pine 1.0? Have no idea what the differences are between 1.0 and 1.1.

What also struck me is that when I install Manjaro, for example, I cannot install 1 app from the store. For example 'Signal':
First the easy way, install Manjaro, configure it and go to Discover and search for Signal. Once clicked on it, immediately the first error:
signal-desktop;5.43.0-1;aarch64;community: could not find or read package

I ignore that and I press the install button and after a few seconds I get the next error:
Package download failed

There must be something wrong with the writing or things like that. Or do I miss something? Could I hard reset my Pine?
(05-31-2022, 07:31 AM)Kimberley van Buyten Wrote: Tried several different ways to install Sailfish. But no matter how I try, when writing to eMMC memory it seems that nothing happens and then I get all kinds of errors:
  • ls: cannot access 'mmcblk2': No such file or directory
  • Error: The location 6250MB is outside of the device /home/adm1n/Downloads/mmcblk2.
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/root: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.
  • mount: /home/adm1n/Downloads/boot: special device mmcblk2 does not exist.

Is it that I don't have the correct permissions? Which I would find strange, because I have really tried all kinds of ways. I used external terminal, I used Jumpdrive and I used terminal from the phone himself. Whatever I do, at the question Which SD card do you want to flash? nothing seems to work anymore

Could it be that I have a Pine 1.0? Have no idea what the differences are between 1.0 and 1.1.

What also struck me is that when I install Manjaro, for example, I cannot install 1 app from the store. For example 'Signal':
First the easy way, install Manjaro, configure it and go to Discover and search for Signal. Once clicked on it, immediately the first error:
signal-desktop;5.43.0-1;aarch64;community: could not find or read package

I ignore that and I press the install button and after a few seconds I get the next error:
Package download failed

There must be something wrong with the writing or things like that. Or do I miss something? Could I hard reset my Pine?

Would recommend having a look in the Sailfish section, there might be something relevant: https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=126. What I'm noticing is that your logs say "mmcblk2", however the device is not called "mmcblk2" when you're using Jumpdrive.

Regarding your issue with Manjaro, I would recommend to use the terminal on the phone. Try to run "sudo pacman -S signal-desktop" and check what the exact issue is. The GUI package manager doesn't return any meaningful errors.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 171 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,614 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,418 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Pinephone is dead. eMMC, boot, hardware issues. Shane 4 1,344 05-10-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken Uturn 5 1,602 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  trouble flashing eMMC TylerBlackberry 3 1,124 04-13-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler