How to disable automatic update checks
I have just received a new PinePhone, and the first time I connected it to the Internet, it immediately showed me that (software) updates are available. The phone didn't install the updates before I asked to do so, but still, I was actually quite disappointed with this behavior, especially in a privacy and security oriented phone. I don't want the phone to do anything on the Internet before I explicitly request to do so. Even if it does not install the updates, just checks for them, this still transfers data over the Internet, which may be undesirable in certain cases.

This time I installed the updates (which also created quite a severe bug, see below), but I don't want to have any automatic update checks in the future.

So, my first question is: how do I disable automatic checks for updates on the default OS (if I understand correctly, this is manjaro)?

Second, more details about the bug: sometimes, when I turn off the screen using the button on the side, and then turn on the screen again, instead of a PIN prompt, I see a text message (that does not fit on the screen in full also) and no interface elements at all. I don't know how to continue working with the phone from that point except for removing the battery and inserting it again (which is not good for the OS, I guess).

Some pieces of the message that are visible on the screen:
"... and unlocking is ..."
"... to a virtual ..."
"... and execute the ..."
"... unlock-session ..."
"... session by ..."
"... running session ..."
in phosh "add/remove" -> settings (three vertical dots) -> preferences

ezik
shulamy,
Wait... Is phosh a desktop environment, alternative to KDE (= Plasma mobile)? It seems to me that in the default setup, I have KDE and Plasma mobile, not phosh.
Anyway, I don't see "add/remove" anywhere...
(06-01-2022, 08:01 PM)bdicewk Wrote: shulamy,
Wait... Is phosh a desktop environment, alternative to KDE (= Plasma mobile)? It seems to me that in the default setup, I have KDE and Plasma mobile, not phosh.
Anyway, I don't see "add/remove" anywhere...

maybe it has another name in plasma

somthing like "software" or "packages" "DISCOVER" ?

ezik
Well, there is an app called "discover", and it is apparently something like a GUI package manager, but there is no setting "do not automatically check for updates" (this was the first thing I checked before visiting the forum).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using too much juice since last update Eugo 20 3,099 03-15-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  recent update Uturn 14 1,510 02-13-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Latest update Eugo 21 7,702 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,218 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  manjaro-pinephone / plasma-mobile-dev: Update broken Uturn 32 28,560 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: johaennessen
  Locked out after update bnbcwllc 2 1,515 06-08-2022, 04:46 AM
Last Post: bnbcwllc
  Keyboard case stopped working on pacman update rotwang 5 3,010 05-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: rotwang
  Pinephone stuck on 'something went wrong' after update gofishus 1 1,515 03-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Lockup during update, force shut down and try again? tgz 5 5,459 12-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: tk1107
  After recent update: Invalid or missing 'dr_mode' property KNERD 3 2,702 11-05-2021, 08:43 AM
Last Post: itwurketnet