Flashing gone wrong
I broke stuff.
Booted from JumpDrive, saw what looked like two partitions (I guess they're actually separate emmc drives?) exposed (apart from the SD card), in frenzy formatted the first one to vfat, flashed system to the second partition with dd.
Pinephone doesn't start. I guess the first partition is a boot partition and I broke it. I can't find files that should go onto the first partition in order to fix it.
What should I do? Confused
You don't say which image you were trying to flash or which instructions you tried to follow. You should still be able to boot JumpDrive from the SD then reflash. If you look at the instructions carefully you'll see that they almost always say to dd to the raw device, not to a partition on it.
(05-24-2022, 07:49 AM)wibble Wrote: You don't say which image you were trying to flash or which instructions you tried to follow. You should still be able to boot JumpDrive from the SD then reflash. If you look at the instructions carefully you'll see that they almost always say to dd to the raw device, not to a partition on it.

I flashed JumpDrive to the SD. Booted the phone, plugged into the laptop. I see two disks: /dev/sdd (sd card) and /dev/sdc with partitions /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2
Now, if I try and do:
Code:
dd if=image.img of=/dev/sdc
I get: No space left on the device.
I try and peek with fdisk:
Code:
fdisk /dev/sdc
and there is one partition, size 10M, I also see this suspicious message:
Code:
GPT PMBR size mismatch (10854399 != 20479) will be corrected by write.
It doesn't get corrected by a write though. If I delete the partition within, save and exit and open it again, warning is still there.

Code:
fdisk /dev/sdc1
shows me two partitions:
Code:
Device       Start      End  Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdc2p1  16384   266239   249856  122M EFI System
/dev/sdc2p2 266240 10852351 10586112    5G Linux filesystem
That's why I tried:
Code:
dd if=image.img of=/dev/sdc2
, because it looks like a separate drive to me. I guess I'm wrong?

I'm flashing it with arch with plasma
(05-24-2022, 07:15 AM)erg Wrote: I broke stuff.
Booted from JumpDrive, saw what looked like two partitions (I guess they're actually separate emmc drives?) exposed (apart from the SD card), in frenzy formatted the first one to vfat, flashed system to the second partition with dd.
Pinephone doesn't start. I guess the first partition is a boot partition and I broke it. I can't find files that should go onto the first partition in order to fix it.

Jumpdrive exposes the eMMC and the microSD card directly, which is probably what you saw in the "lsblk" output. Please don't format the drives manually, as that doesn't make sense and will just cause you issues: formatting a drive does not remove U-Boot from the partition so the phone will still load U-Boot and don't find a valid system (= the phone's screen stays black). I guess that is also where your other issues also originate from. When flashing an image it will contain everything you need, including the whole partition structure. Make sure you're flashing the partition to the whole disk, not to partition 1. The whole disk will typically be called ""sda", "sdb" or "sdc", not "sda1". The "1" next to "sda" means it is the first partition.
(05-24-2022, 01:54 PM)fxc Wrote:

Jumpdrive exposes the eMMC and the microSD card directly, which is probably what you saw in the "lsblk" output. Please don't format the drives manually, as that doesn't make sense and will just cause you issues: formatting a drive does not remove U-Boot from the partition so the phone will still load U-Boot and don't find a valid system (= the phone's screen stays black). I guess that is also where your other issues also originate from. When flashing an image it will contain everything you need, including the whole partition structure. Make sure you're flashing the partition to the whole disk, not to partition 1. The whole disk will typically be called ""sda", "sdb" or "sdc", not "sda1". The "1" next to "sda" means it is the first partition.

I did try that at first, flashing to /dev/sdc, only it failed with: No space left on the device. That's when I tried other options.
(05-24-2022, 02:53 PM)erg Wrote:

I did try that at first, flashing to /dev/sdc, only it failed with: No space left on the device. That's when I tried other options.

Was the issue solved or is there still an issue writing to the eMMC? If the latter I would suggest you to post the full "lsblk" output here.
(05-26-2022, 05:30 AM)fxc Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 02:53 PM)erg Wrote:

Was the issue solved or is there still an issue writing to the eMMC? If the latter I would suggest you to post the full "lsblk" output here.

Issue is still here.
Code:
sdc              8:32   1  14.7G  0 disk 
├─sdc1           8:33   1 213.6M  0 part 
└─sdc2           8:34   1  14.4G  0 part 
sdd              8:48   1  29.7G  0 disk 
└─sdd1           8:49   1    49M  0 part
This is a guide, DO NOT just copy and paste these commands

Code:
#download the img
https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Jumpdrive
https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pine64-Arch/releases
cd ~/Downloads/
#unzip the image
unxz ./pine64-pinephone.img.xz
#(Plug in the SD or Phone card)
lsblk
#make sure it is un mounted
sudo umount /run/media/user/1FAE-0542/
#Copy over. This will take time
sudo dd if=~/Downloads/pine64-pinephone.img of=/dev/sdd status=progress
sudo sync
(05-26-2022, 07:06 AM)mikehenson Wrote: This is a guide, DO NOT just copy and paste these commands

Code:
#download the img
cd ~/Downloads/
#unzip the image
lsblk
sudo sync

Thanks for your advice. As I understand it, that's for flashing Jumpdrive to the SD card? I do have that base covered. I can boot the phone from the SD card with JumpDrive on it, I can telnet to it. I can also boot the phone with the OS image on the SD card no problem.

What I am not managing to do is to flash the actual operating system image onto the eMMc storage using JumpDrive.

Flashing to /dev/sdc fails saying there's not space.
Flashing to dev/sdc1 fails saying there's not space.
Flashing to /dev/sdc2 succeeds but phone does not boot.
(05-26-2022, 07:18 AM)erg Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 07:06 AM)mikehenson Wrote: This is a guide, DO NOT just copy and paste these commands

Code:
#download the img
cd ~/Downloads/
#unzip the image
lsblk
sudo sync

Thanks for your advice. As I understand it, that's for flashing Jumpdrive to the SD card? I do have that base covered. I can boot the phone from the SD card with JumpDrive on it, I can telnet to it. I can also boot the phone with the OS image on the SD card no problem.

What I am not managing to do is to flash the actual operating system image onto the eMMc storage using JumpDrive.

Flashing to /dev/sdc fails saying there's not space.
Flashing to dev/sdc1 fails saying there's not space.
Flashing to /dev/sdc2 succeeds but phone does not boot.

I would suggest you to not flash via Jumpdrive and instead boot an OS from the microSD card and write to the eMMC from there directly (using dd). Don't write to sdc1 and sdc2, as those are partitions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SD Card has wrong capacity AndyM 11 2,127 06-11-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  trouble flashing eMMC TylerBlackberry 3 1,124 04-13-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Boot problem: wrong screen orientation Jetpac 6 3,651 07-18-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: fravoi
  Wrong PIN error lordearl 3 4,178 09-20-2021, 03:19 AM
Last Post: mcdanielmark473
  After flashing UT on eMMC Convergence package not working anymore dfjdw8 0 1,500 06-11-2021, 12:28 AM
Last Post: dfjdw8
  Wrong language installed on PINE64 mobian edition Derek7 0 1,931 04-02-2021, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Derek7
  Trying to diagnose what's wrong... m16a1 6 5,304 02-24-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: C0ffeeFreak
  Flashing SC card for Ubuntu Touch thorensjubilee 2 3,443 12-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Last Post: thorensjubilee
  Flashing an SD card using Pinebook Pro? Konsole? SanjevR 5 4,829 12-08-2020, 02:58 PM
Last Post: hiimtye
  Wrong information in FAQ jbit 1 2,541 07-16-2020, 02:40 PM
Last Post: wibble