Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS
Which is better to have on there right now? Which is most polished etc?

Tried to open the app recently on my Pinephone to get apps... called discover or something iirc, and it crashed the program every time I tried to start.  I don't think I've updated the phone yet though (at least not manually), so maybe that's why.  But I don't know how either (new user here).
(05-19-2022, 02:05 PM)MarsColonist Wrote: Which is better to have on there right now? Which is most polished etc?

Tried to open the app recently on my Pinephone to get apps... called discover or something iirc, and it crashed the program every time I tried to start.  I don't think I've updated the phone yet though (at least not manually), so maybe that's why.  But I don't know how either (new user here).

UT has a nicer interface but the Modem is very unstable. Using Phosh or Plasma Mobile you will find it way easier to have any reliability with calling, texting, and data. The other interfaces also act mostly like a Linux Desktop Environment where you are able to update via the terminal and install packages via the terminal. I also don't know how much work is really being put in to UT for the PinePhone.
Are the apps more polished for UT? Like in terms of how reliably they work, whether they crash a lot, etc.
(05-19-2022, 02:05 PM)MarsColonist Wrote: Which is better to have on there right now?

Well, I don't think Ubuntu Touch would be a viable alternative. With UT, the Pinephone "is not able to perform as a phone. If you need complete calling and cellular data functionalities, consider choosing a different device", according to the Ubuntu Touch website. (That's quite a a damning verdict if you compare it to some other phones (like the Volla Phone e.g.) about which it says: "Runs very smoothly without any flaws. The experience on this device will be comparable to other mobile OSes on the market.") 

Last time I checked, Mobian was the most complete OS for the Pinephone. That may have changed -- if any other System has overtaken it, I'd be as eager to know as you. But in my experience all important features work, though not well or comfortably. I have been using my Mobian PP as a daily driver for more than a year now, which was OK because I was mostly working from home and did not depend on a reliable phone, but could live with the approximately 85 percent reliability that Mobian provides.

A good way to check out the available OSes is Meghi's Multi Distro image. It allows you to flash 17 Systems onto an SD card and try
them out.
(05-20-2022, 11:07 AM)MarsColonist Wrote: Are the apps more polished for UT? Like in terms of how reliably they work, whether they crash a lot, etc.

The apps used on all other OS' are basically the same as what you would use on a Linux desktop. So depending on what apps you need, they are probably fairly close. I would recommend Arch with either Phosh or Plasma Mobile. I used Mobian as a daily driver for a few months then tried out Arch and found it to be a smoother experience for me.
(05-20-2022, 04:07 PM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(05-20-2022, 11:07 AM)MarsColonist Wrote: Are the apps more polished for UT? Like in terms of how reliably they work, whether they crash a lot, etc.

The apps used on all other OS' are basically the same as what you would use on a Linux desktop. So depending on what apps you need, they are probably fairly close. I would recommend Arch with either Phosh or Plasma Mobile. I used Mobian as a daily driver for a few months then tried out Arch and found it to be a smoother experience for me.

Ironically, considering Canonical's push a few years back for "convergence," apps for UBPorts, fka Ubuntu Touch, are not just adapted desktop apps, but rather mobile-specific. Many are actually mobile-only apps. The quality varies (a lot!), but the suitability for a mobile device UI is pretty much assured.

And SFOS apps on Pinephone, like Safilfish apps on every other port, are purpose-built for that platform.

This differs a lot from apps on Phosh (and maybe also on Plasma that I haven't tried much) which range from all they way from "looks and works absolutely great on mobile" to "I need to attach a mouse, keyboard and magnifying glass to my phone to make this usable."
Ubuntu Touch specifically on the PinePhone is abandoned at this point. Meaning it will never fuilly function on the PinePhone, and there has been nothing for the PinePhonePro.

While you will see generic updates to Ubuntu Touch OS, you will never see anything specific for the PinePhone. UBPorts folks are not driver developers. It seems they were waiting for others to make the drivers and were just waiting for others to fulfill that. It is how Ubuntu Touch came to being. They took the drivers from Android to use on supported devices to make their mobile OS around them. Since no drivers for the PinePhone will ever come, they have stopped working on the port for PinePhone.

And the reason no drivers will ever come? The hardware is very outdated.
(09-18-2022, 09:04 AM)KNERD Wrote: Ubuntu Touch specifically on the PinePhone is abandoned at this point. Meaning it will never fuilly function on the PinePhone, and there has been nothing for the PinePhonePro.

While you will see generic updates to Ubuntu Touch OS, you will never see anything specific for the PinePhone. UBPorts folks are not driver developers. It seems they were waiting for others to make the drivers and were just waiting for others to fulfill that. It is how Ubuntu Touch came to being. They took the drivers from Android to use on supported devices to make their mobile OS around them. Since no drivers for the PinePhone will ever come, they have stopped working on the port for PinePhone.

And the reason no drivers will ever come? The hardware is very outdated.

This is not entirely true.

Current Ubuntu Touch is based on 16.04 Ubuntu and there is ongoing work to move things to 20.04 Ubuntu.
After the move to 20.04 is done Ubports foundation and the surrounding community decides where to focus next.
After the move Pinephone might be one road but that is not yet decided - but my point is Pinephone is NOT buried.

Why Ubuntu Touch and Pinephone developing stalled?
Best guess is that most of the users/developers/enthusiastics did not understand or did not like the way how Ubuntu Touch works.
Aka most Pinephone users wanted to write terminal "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade" and install Thunderbird, Firefox etc. while Ubuntu Touch is built so that doesn't really make sense.
And as far as I understand there was basicly only one person working for Pinephone and Ubuntu Touch (legendary Dalton Durst). Hope was that if Pine64 community gets excited then maybe someone jumps in also but AFAIK that does not happened and Daltons workload was overwhelming.

Currently Ubuntu Touch is nowhere near ready as daily driver for Pinephone.

And as a reply for another message "Ubuntu Touch apps are made for mobile"
Most Ubuntu Touch apps are made with convergence in mind - it is hard to see it because there are so few devices where you can actually plug in display with Ubuntu Touch (Fairphone 4 will be game changer).
So as dummy user what I am wondering is why years and years of mobile-linux developement has been used reasonably little - but hey I am only dummy user so there must be reasons Big Grin
(09-18-2022, 11:15 AM)alaraajavamma Wrote:
(09-18-2022, 09:04 AM)KNERD Wrote: Ubuntu Touch specifically on the PinePhone is abandoned at this point. Meaning it will never fuilly function on the PinePhone, and there has been nothing for the PinePhonePro. ... And the reason no drivers will ever come? The hardware is very outdated.

This is not entirely true. Current Ubuntu Touch is based on 16.04 Ubuntu and there is ongoing work to move things to 20.04 Ubuntu. 

Why Ubuntu Touch and Pinephone developing stalled?
Best guess is that most of the users/developers/enthusiastics did not understand or did not like the way how Ubuntu Touch works. ... Currently Ubuntu Touch is nowhere near ready as daily driver for Pinephone.

And as a reply for another message "Ubuntu Touch apps are made for mobile"
Most Ubuntu Touch apps are made with convergence in mind - it is hard to see it because there are so few devices where you can actually plug in display with Ubuntu Touch (Fairphone 4 will be game changer).
So as dummy user what I am wondering is why years and years of mobile-linux developement has been used reasonably little - but hey I am only dummy user so there must be reasons Big Grin
I've come to the PinePhone from a UBTouch Nexus 5, so am familiar with it and like it. Unfortunately, I've not found it "Daily Use" stable, on the PPhone, but then Mobian, Arch and others have missed calls or texts for me, and not so friendly IMO, so I am still exploring. Also I would like to have the ability to use an external screen, at times. UBTouch doesn't seem to want to do that.

Thanks for a very useful thread.
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,002 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  ADB support on Pinephone Sumwun 3 682 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Sumwun
  PinePhone and PinePhone Pro 20.04 Focal Install and Update c3l@ 0 655 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: c3l@
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,677 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  PinePhone UBPorts Edition stuck on PINE64 logo screen Giovanni Iannotti 4 4,723 09-01-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Giovanni Iannotti
  Images won't boot past pinephone logo remington_luger 9 9,299 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
Last Post: remington_luger
  GhostCloud workaround for PinePhone mark1250 1 3,089 08-12-2021, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,177 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 162,276 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  Whats the latest with UB touch? Cree 9 10,997 03-11-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com