kb151 2-0015: Charger read failed - MCU returned 0xff
PinePhone 1.2 - Linux mobian 5.15-sunxi64

I just recently reflashed my PinePhone with Tow-Boot and the mobian-installer-pinephone-phosh-20220508 and since then the keyboard battery is not being charged.

The fully charged battery was completly drained and remains at 0%, in Gnome Settings --> Power under Devices kb151 is listed with 0% charge and the Powersupply app has the Keyboard Case listed as well with Capacity 0%, Voltage 2.601V, Status flickering between Discharging and Charging (0.02W) and Health Good.

demsg returns --> kb151 2-0015: Charger read failed - MCU returned 0xff

Before the switch to Tow-Boot / Mobian I had U-Boot / Mobian and the battery in the keyboard case was working just fine.
It was keeping my phone charged and was a nice companion as it extended the usable life of the phone to a fine 24hrs.
Since the switch to Tow-Boot / Mobian, the once full battery in the keyboard case was completly drained by the phone, but never recharged.
As soon as I plug in the power supply it starts charging the phone (charge current alternates between 1.2A and 1.7A) once the phone battery is charged it stops charging (charge current drops to 0.3A) and the keyboard case battery remains at 0% charge, i.e. it does not charge the beyboard case battery.
Power is connected directly to the keyboard case and the top-right corner of the keyboard case gets warm indicating that the electronics inside seems to be working.

Any ideas on how to get the keyboard case battery back to working order?
I do updates on a daily basis via apt, so should have the latest version of mobian and software, and I am using the PinePower 120W Desktop Power Supply to charge the phone.
I'm actually currently having the exact same situation, but for some reason my pinephone can't even charge from the keyboard case when plugged in, it seems to discharge more slowly, but it's still discharging despite mobian telling me it's "charging"
I think the charging circuitry inside the keyboard case has died as the case won't even charge the PinePhone anymore, it simply does not accept any power. If I take the PinePhone out of the keyboard case and charge it up and then put it back into the case it drains the phone battery till 0% within a few hours even without use.
It seems to be faulty hardware, because the keyboard case even without phone inserted will not accept any charge to its battery.

Update:
The item that causes the problem is the USB port which has become loose and does not make the conection to the PCB anymore, when moving the plugged-in cable one can make a connection with the PCB and it charges the battery.
Shame that we can't take the thing appart and just resolder the loose USB port. :-((((
(05-18-2022, 08:35 AM)EeveeEuphoria Wrote: I'm actually currently having the exact same situation, but for some reason my pinephone can't even charge from the keyboard case when plugged in, it seems to discharge more slowly, but it's still discharging despite mobian telling me it's "charging"

Yep I have this issue but with arch. Keyboard charges the phone just fine when not plugged in, but as soon as it is plugged in I get the same situation you describe. I wonder if it is tow-boot? I installed that as well.
(05-30-2022, 02:55 PM)as365n4 Wrote: I think the charging circuitry inside the keyboard case has died as the case won't even charge the PinePhone anymore, it simply does not accept any power. If I take the PinePhone out of the keyboard case and charge it up and then put it back into the case it drains the phone battery till 0% within a few hours even without use.
It seems to be faulty hardware, because the keyboard case even without phone inserted will not accept any charge to its battery.

Update:
The item that causes the problem is the USB port which has become loose and does not make the conection to the PCB anymore, when moving the plugged-in cable one can make a connection with the PCB and it charges the battery.
Shame that we can't take the thing appart and just resolder the loose USB port. :-((((

I have something similar today although it could be a kernel issue with mobian. According to this thread https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid110387 the kb151 module is missing from kernel 5.15.41

You can get the back off the keyboard case apparently. There is a small notch cut out similar to the one on the PinePhone case that allows you to remove the back. On the keyboard it is on the right hand corner at the bottom of the keyboard next to the "Right" key. I remember reading that it was a bit more fiddly than removing the PinePhone back but still possible.

I will test for the kernel problem by flashing an old image to SD card. If that doesn't help then I will take off the back of the keyboard and see if it is a hardware issue.
I took the backplate off from the case and could not see any obvious damage to any components on the PCB itself.
But I think the IP5209 has died, because the board will not take any power from the USB-C port.

I may purchase a replament pcb from the pine store and see if that solves the problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Insta-Shutdown w/o Charger Techpaint 0 680 10-14-2022, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Techpaint
  What PD charger/dock combo results in PP battery not draining while using convergence james8880 0 1,436 04-28-2022, 12:45 PM
Last Post: james8880
  Modem in failed state, not sending/receiving SMS brb78 5 3,616 03-31-2022, 08:37 AM
Last Post: wibble
  How to read GNSS location data on Pinephone eliasjonsson 1 1,698 11-11-2021, 02:38 AM
  Raspberry 4 Charger for Pinephone? jojuma 8 7,555 01-01-2021, 11:48 AM
  Pine phone eMMC read speeds ? bcnaz 14 14,300 11-20-2020, 02:52 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2
  Pine phone : Drive read speeds ? bcnaz 2 2,807 09-17-2020, 09:13 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
Lightbulb [Solved][BraveHeart] PinePhone Failed Headphone Test MrArca9 4 5,818 02-11-2020, 02:30 AM
Last Post: bcnaz