pinephone mobile dock
Lightbulb 
Hi,

for mobile work via terminal/ssh I am looking for a notebook with very long battery life (as long as possible, 20 hours, better more), so a very efficient device (like the pinebook (pro)) makes sense. But unfortunately, the battery capacity is very small (for laptop standards), so the battery lifetime is by far not as good as possible.

But I have a pinephone: the hardware is fast enough for all the applications needed, and it even has an integrated WAN modem :-)
Unfortunately, for the described use case, the battery is too small, the screen is too small, and there is no keyboard.

So there is an interesting idea:
Why not having a "laptop", that consists only of the following components:
– screen (e.g. 13" or 14") (full hd, non glare)
– very high quality keyboard(!)
– very high capacity battery (60-80 Wh)
– some USB ports, and a power connector
– a slot (on the left or right side) for inserting the pine phone  Smile

As soon as the phone is inserted, the screen and keyboard of the laptop is available/enabled to the pinephone, which is then powered/charged from the "laptop" battery... which could easily provide power for 20h, 30h, or even more (also depends on the screen).

Bonus: the top-side of the pinephone slot is "open", the pinephone touchscreen could stay enabled and optionally usable as a second screen (like a non-centered touchpad on the left or right side, but with color screen :-))

Such a "mobile dock" should be easy to realize... and can perfectly replace a laptop and powerbank for many usecases.

Perhaps this idea is not new.... but in case it is: I really hope you like it :-)
I do quite like this idea. Most of the time I am writing out posts or emails or researching different texts, the PinePhone (pro) works beautifully for this. I would definitely purchase one of these. I was thinking of buying the keyboard but am worried the screen may be a bit small for hours of work on the go. Smile
I bought a Newmight C621 dock (hdmi/SD/USB) off Amazon and keyboard and mouse work on my PPP, but still can't hdmi to output, nor do I see a GUI way of changing the resolution to work with either my TV or 27" monitor. Tried with Mobian, PostmarketOS, and Manjaro....none seem to want to recognize the new display.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 250 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 104,390 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,438 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 431 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,853 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 351 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,436 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  can I retrieve accidentally deleted voice mail with T mobile ? HLing 4 601 12-13-2023, 01:24 AM
Last Post: oldschool
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,532 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,597 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy