Wireshark development on a PinePhone Pro
I do a lot of work on Wireshark, but mainly on the dissector side (eg, 802.11 dissector stuff these days.)

I am thinking of exploring the possibility of using Wireshark on a phone form-factor device and the PinePhone Pro looks like it might be usable.

However, what sort of attachments would I need (keyboard, monitor, external NVMe storage) and is it possible to build with cmake and gcc etc on such a device.

I guess the flash storage is going to be much slower than NVMe ... maybe a cross development environment would be better. Ie, build on Ubuntu targeting ARM, and then install on the PinePhone Pro.

Does anyone have any comments?
(04-27-2022, 09:27 AM)realrichardsharpe@gmail.com Wrote: I do a lot of work on Wireshark, but mainly on the dissector side (eg, 802.11 dissector stuff these days.)

I am thinking of exploring the possibility of using Wireshark on a phone form-factor device and the PinePhone Pro looks like it might be usable.

However, what sort of attachments would I need (keyboard, monitor, external NVMe storage) and is it possible to build with cmake and gcc etc on such a device.

I guess the flash storage is going to be much slower than NVMe ... maybe a cross development environment would be better. Ie, build on Ubuntu targeting ARM, and then install on the PinePhone Pro.

Does anyone have any comments?
Both the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro can build packages with cmake, gcc, meson,  etc.

The PinePhone is a bit slower then the Pro but it is very usable still.

Attachments that I would recommend:

Convergence Dock (doesn't come with Pro, but comes with PP Convergence edition)
Pinephone Keyboard ( If you want more battery life and to use your phone like a mini laptop, don't use with convergence dock at same time due to power management issue that is being worked out.)

USB or BT Keyboard for convergence dock.

Cooling solution when building large projects ( large projects can obviously take a while a heat up the phone alot ) or running i386/x86_64 games (box86/64) or heavy programs

128gb+ microsd card for external storage to house large projects ( I personally use a 1TB card. )

A serial cable from the store to help with debugging any boot issues.
On the non-Pro PinePhone if I need keyboard access I usually just use ssh. With the necessary -dev packages installed you can compile on the phone, but it will be slower than crossdev on a desktop. You'll have to be the judge of whether the speed is worth the extra step copying the result over. The suggested extra cooling seems a good idea if you're compiling on the phone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 9 1,465 02-20-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices Ulfnic 60 43,523 02-13-2024, 02:54 PM
Last Post: fxc
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 742 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 879 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 633 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,632 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 18,755 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone(pro) modem bug / shortcomings MadameMalady 2 2,383 06-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MadameMalady
  Cannot update new PinePhone Pro bent 6 3,333 05-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Any tips to improve the audio quality of calls on the PinePhone Pro? tux_life 2 1,453 05-12-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma