Phone wont turn on with any SD Card inserted
Forgive me if this has already been addressed but I have been searching everywhere for a week or so and haven't found a solution that was provided that works in my case.

Got my PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition and have been excited to try it outside of some funkiness as to be expected with a phone in this state of its like. The frustrating thing is everyone apparently can easily swap SD cards with new distros and explore! I can not.

I installed balenaEtcher and downloaded Ubports/Arch Phosh/Jump drive to various SD Cards. Tried this process from a Windows machine and also a Linux machine. When inserted into the PinePhone Pro the device doesn't boot/light up/vibrate or give any indication it is being turned on.

It appears to be turning on because to get the PinePhone Pro to turn on after the SD card is removed I have to remove/reseat the battery then press the power button.

When the card is inserted after the phone is booted I can run "sudo lsblk" and I can see that any of the test drives are available.

Any help would be much appreciated.
(04-24-2022, 11:40 AM)Ausfaller Wrote: Forgive me if this has already been addressed but I have been searching everywhere for a week or so and haven't found a solution that was provided that works in my case.

Got my PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition and have been excited to try it outside of some funkiness as to be expected with a phone in this state of its like. The frustrating thing is everyone apparently can easily swap SD cards with new distros and explore! I can not.

I installed balenaEtcher and downloaded Ubports/Arch Phosh/Jump drive to various SD Cards. Tried this process from a Windows machine and also a Linux machine. When inserted into the PinePhone Pro the device doesn't boot/light up/vibrate or give any indication it is being turned on.

It appears to be turning on because to get the PinePhone Pro to turn on after the SD card is removed I have to remove/reseat the battery then press the power button.

When the card is inserted after the phone is booted I can run "sudo lsblk" and I can see that any of the test drives are available.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The issue here is that you try to boot incompatible images. The images you mentioned are for the regular PinePhone, not the PinePhone Pro (different SoCs, different boards, so this won't work). Make sure to download your images only from https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...e_Releases. Please also have a look at the installation instructions under https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Pro#Software, as holding Power is not sufficient for bypassing the eMMC, depending on the U-Boot configuration.
I am also experiencing this issue with my Explorer Edition although the image I have dd'ed to the card seems to be the right one: https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla...a12.img.xz (un-xz'ed of course).

In a nut shell, while the phone happily boots without a card, or with an empty one (which has its first megabyte completely zeroed with dd), it does not boot when the card has the above image dd'ed on it. Tried two different cards.

What, however, puzzles me most here is that it won't boot even if I _do not_ hold the RE button. This way the eMMC should have boot priority, right? Why would the phone then even care what's on the card at all?

UPDATE: Installed Tow-Boot to the SPI and the problem has gone away.
(07-21-2022, 05:50 AM)Greendrake Wrote: I am also experiencing this issue with my Explorer Edition although the image I have dd'ed to the card seems to be the right one: https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/pla...a12.img.xz (un-xz'ed of course).

In a nut shell, while the phone happily boots without a card, or with an empty one (which has its first megabyte completely zeroed with dd), it does not boot when the card has the above image dd'ed on it. Tried two different cards.

What, however, puzzles me most here is that it won't boot even if I _do not_ hold the RE button. This way the eMMC should have boot priority, right? Why would the phone then even care what's on the card at all?

UPDATE: Installed Tow-Boot to the SPI and the problem has gone away.

I was going to say do you know if you have Tow-Boot or Uboot? Yea my issue was complete noob I thought I was on the right software page but it was for the PinePhone images should have come back and said it was solved but rather embarrassed lol. Glad you got yours fixed! I have had the best luck with Mobian as a daily driver so far. Good luck on your journey!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Phone Pro audio on phone calls: discussion, support and tips apink 42 11,447 12-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: apink
  Guide to Suitable Phone State Borealid 19 10,231 09-18-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: robocone
  Phone Attitude(Device orientation) lurkadillian 2 991 06-22-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: lurkadillian
  Factory AOSP image but for your SD card! Danct12 14 8,085 04-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: strungar
  Pine Phone won't boot into recovery mode ninjapig26@gmail.com 3 1,675 02-18-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: fxc
  [Mobian] No return from locked phone arno_nuehm 1 976 02-06-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: arno_nuehm
  Phone shuts down unexpectedly Hobgoblin 3 1,521 12-20-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Fish
  Sound completely gone with Mobian in Phone Call configuration EwigeBlumenkraft 2 1,690 11-11-2022, 09:18 PM
  PinePhone Pro Manjaro Plasma Mobile Beta 13 & No Audio with Phone Calls X0X0X0X0X0 0 1,050 11-02-2022, 02:09 PM
Last Post: X0X0X0X0X0
  Outgoing audio in phone calls gone linuxfreedom 6 3,169 10-25-2022, 08:40 PM