Using lat/lon in GPS/GNSS apps and Messaging
I have found over the years that when working with open source navigation and mapping most involving OSM it can be difficult to import and export locations especially when using a non-Roman alphabet.
When possible I like to be able to input and export WGS84 latitude and longitude so say I was referring to Bern Switzerland I would input 46°56′53″N 7°26′51″E into the map app.
IN LineageOS with microG even a google maps link with coordinates will give the option to open with OSMand mapping app.
I have tried dumping raw lat/lon into both the Gneom Maps and PureMaps apps and neither can read the raw decimal or deg,min,sec not even n46, e7 or 46n, 7e is received as useful input. Perhaps the app can be launched with coordinates via CLI?

There are commands to get coordinates directly via terminal
Code:
sudo watch -n 5 mmcli -m any --location-get
or
Code:
sudo mmcli -m any --location-get
neither of which are reliable or fast ways to get the location your phone has established by scanning for local networks or has cached. I will look more into getting responses form GeoClue.

It would be nice to have a way to get them right to clipboard to past into text or IMs.
In addition to my phone and tablet I also am a big believer in folded sheet maps(prefer polymer to paper) and bound mapbooks, I also use modular GPS receivers which only output lat/lon so it is the one way I can integrate all of these resources and check one against another for accuracy.

How are you managing and sharing your location 'pins'?
With help from the #gnome-maps IRC channel at irc.gimp.org

It is very easy to share from gnome-maps; just long press the point you want to share(so far it seems to only want to share a 'Current Location' pin) and you have options to copy to clipboard a geo URI link, email app, as well as other location aware apps like weather.

Gnome-maps is able to import geo URIs pasted into its search bar/box
https://geouri.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_URI_scheme
Gnome-maps requires formatting like this

geo:46.909066,7.503436;crs=wgs84;u=0
I am able to leave off the crs=wgs84;u=0

geo:46.909066,7.503436    gives me runway 14/32 at Bern Airport (IATA: BRN, ICAO: LSZB / LSMB)
a simple link looks like this
geo:lat, lon  coordinates north of the equator and east of the prime meridian are positive

numbers south of the equator and west of the prime meridian add a - for negative
geo:-56.538049,-68.719912    Islote Aguila an island at the very southernmost of South America.

Gnome maps doesn't like to have a human try to type a geo URI into the app and keeps throwing a 'failed to parse geo URI' warning that locks the UI until I click OK unless the completed geo URI is pasted into the window.

I have done some experimenting with both desktop and pinephone/mobian gnome-maps, it seems the app REALLY wants me to have a right mouse button and it only will pin locations other than my 'current location' with a right mouse click, but you can shere your current GPS location, it just needs those UI modifications to get the long press for other locations.
Gnome-maps while quite clean and feature sparse still seems to run slowly on PP and takes several seconds for every swipe or update, it might benifit form some GPU but most of the work is like CPU to move and render the map.
(edit)
in talking with one of the devs the long press has been a problem and when they move up to gtk4/libshumate it will be fixed.
Have you seen Mepo yet? Personally, I think it looks really cool.

https://sr.ht/~mil/Mepo/
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(04-30-2022, 07:50 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Have you seen Mepo yet?  Personally, I think it looks really cool.

https://sr.ht/~mil/Mepo/

I will give it a try.
Since we are doing convergence with these desktop/mobile UI apps AND I have been messing with bluetooth to get a Bluetooth PAN access point, I have been thinking...
I would like to be able to pair my pinephone as a bluetooth GPS device for my laptop or tablet's GPS app.
That used to be pretty easy, but I've not tried on the PinePhone. From previous messing with GPS on the PinePhone working out how to get the NMEA serial stream out can be done, but takes a bit more doing as mobian doesn't integrate gpsd and ModemManager's location docs aren't as informative as might be hoped. I _think_ you could set up gpsd to run a script to enable raw nmea access via mmcli when a client connects, allowing gpsd to connect to the NMEA serial port, but I never got round to trying it. The other location modes have ModemManager / Geoclue using the serial port which blocks gpsd from using it. I think... Why they couldn't use gpsd to multiplex access to the nmea data and have Geoclue be another gpsd client I'm not sure - that would seem to be the best of both worlds.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRu..._GPS_relay
(05-03-2022, 04:30 AM)wibble Wrote: That used to be pretty easy, but I've not tried on the PinePhone. From previous messing with GPS on the PinePhone working out how to get the NMEA serial stream out can be done, but takes a bit more doing as mobian doesn't integrate gpsd and ModemManager's location docs aren't as informative as might be hoped. I _think_ you could set up gpsd to run a script to enable raw nmea access via mmcli when a client connects, allowing gpsd to connect to the NMEA serial port, but I never got round to trying it. The other location modes have ModemManager / Geoclue using the serial port which blocks gpsd from using it. I think... Why they couldn't use gpsd to multiplex access to the nmea data and have Geoclue be another gpsd client I'm not sure - that would seem to be the best of both worlds.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo_FreeRu..._GPS_relay

There is so much we can use from OpenMoko, Zaurus, and N900(& Nokia Linux tablets) though much of it is out of date since we are on to systemd.  The Maemo Leste team is building off of Deuvian(no systemd Debian) to have maximum backwards compatibility and also not have systemd.
Like the bluetooth network access point we seem to have to keep reinventing wheels.
I still have a GTA02 somewhere here. (we need mokomaze in the default install to honor our heritage) https://mokomaze.sourceforge.io/ (the deb on the sourceforge page is incompatible)

I've got a couple of GTA02s on the shelf, but the batteries are no good any more. We've at least been around long enough to see why it is we need to reinvent the wheel, or at least catch up on the technical debt built up between the death of one linux phone project and the birth of the next. I'll add trying to build mokomaze to the list of things I'd like to try but probably won't get round to.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keyboard not popping up on QT apps 3x5co 1 162 02-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Giving certain audio apps priority on the lock screen and pulldown 3x5co 0 808 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Apps and SD Card biketool 2 1,810 03-06-2022, 09:47 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Reskinning Apps for Mobile biketool 6 3,286 12-05-2021, 02:30 PM
Last Post: biketool
  no access to webdav files (for some apps) jsch 0 1,200 11-13-2021, 09:46 AM
Last Post: jsch
  Sizing apps to fit to screen county93 4 3,275 10-23-2021, 11:36 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  What causes the long delays which switching or starting apps? motox6 10 7,514 10-17-2021, 05:58 AM
Last Post: vortex
  Installed Apps not opening mmd604 5 3,850 10-08-2021, 09:29 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  Customized Notifications - Non-native Apps arno_nuehm 2 2,191 10-05-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  Some apps don't have refresh button lsitongia 3 2,449 09-22-2021, 08:21 AM
Last Post: wibble