Access Volume Button via bash
Can someone please tell how I can read the state of the volume buttons (PinePhonePro) via bash ?
Code:
read KEY_VOLUMEDOWN
read KEY_VOLUMEUP

**sidenote:**
want to create a supersimple screenshooter for Phosh, it will help a lot in writing docs...
What I found https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/volumekeys.html

On the PPP, there are following devices:

Code:
/dev/input/event0: gpio-vibrator
/dev/input/event1: adc-keys
/dev/input/event2: Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen
/dev/input/event3: gpio-key-power
/dev/input/event4: gpio-key-ri
/dev/input/event5: PinePhonePro Headphones

So I am able to read if the Volume_Key is pressed (from adc-keys) with:

Code:
libinput debug-events --device=/dev/input/event1

Which gives me some debug outputs of the pressed hardware keys without debouncing:

Code:
event1  DEVICE_ADDED            adc-keys                          seat0 default group1  cap:k
event1  KEYBOARD_KEY            +0.000s KEY_VOLUMEDOWN (114) pressed
event1  KEYBOARD_KEY            +0.208s KEY_VOLUMEDOWN (114) released
event1  KEYBOARD_KEY            +2.196s KEY_VOLUMEUP (115) pressed
event1  KEYBOARD_KEY            +2.404s KEY_VOLUMEUP (115) released

The idea is to read this keys with something simple like: read or showkey to be able to make a simple if volume up and down statement to trigger screenshooter

but I do not get input from the volume keys with this methods...
I know that SXMO are using volume keys extensively in their UIs (which are shell and dmenu based). I bet you could find something if you dig around over there a bit. If you can't find it, maybe ask in their IRC or mailing list.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(04-30-2022, 08:28 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: I know that SXMO are using volume keys extensively in their UIs (which are shell and dmenu based).  I bet you could find something if you dig around over there a bit.  If you can't find it, maybe ask in their IRC or mailing list.

Thanks for the hint, could not find it so far there, but I'll keep on digging...
OK, I was just chatting with guys in #sxmo and they are basically using setting dwm to call sxmo_hook_inputhandler.sh upon button press.

I don't know what window manager you are using, but setting something in there is probably the easiest way.  As opposed to what you are trying to do is a bit more low level.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to access the hardware privacy switches? Pinoideae 3 2,063 02-09-2022, 10:45 PM
Last Post: bcnaz