Exclamation point in cellular icon after update
I updated my Mobian installation today and found some differences. "Kings Cross" or "Terminal" is now "Console". The on-screen keyboard is different, with black characters on a white background, though at first glance the layout appears to be the same.

Most disconcerting though is there is now an orange exclamation point in the cellular indicator. Calls seem to be working normally though. (Could it be because I have mobile data disabled in Settings?) This displayed immediately after rebooting the phone subsequent to the updates.

[Image: gllFh6yT_o.jpg]
(04-07-2022, 12:33 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I updated my Mobian installation today and found some differences. "Kings Cross" or "Terminal" is now "Console". The on-screen keyboard is different, with black characters on a white background, though at first glance the layout appears to be the same.

Most disconcerting though is there is now an orange exclamation point in the cellular indicator. Calls seem to be working normally though. (Could it be because I have mobile data disabled in Settings?) This displayed immediately after rebooting the phone subsequent to the updates.

[Image: gllFh6yT_o.jpg]

it happens to me also, and as before after every reboot I need to change the APN, and it goes away, then 4G works again.
(04-07-2022, 02:47 PM)user641 Wrote: it happens to me also, and as before after every reboot I need to change the APN, and it goes away, then 4G works again.

OK, so it does apparently have something to do with mobile data. It doesn't really matter to me as long as regular voice calls work, it's just a bit unnerving to see that.
Some experimentation indicates  that it means "mobile data" is turned off.  Like most "icons", someone thinks that the meaning is self-evident.
(04-07-2022, 08:16 PM)jhasler Wrote: Some experimentation indicates  that it means "mobile data" is turned off.

This. I also was confused by that icon after the update... my mobile data is turned off 95% of the time  Wink (prepaid SIM and WIFI everywhere).
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
yes, exclamation point is because mobile data is off. it's confusing though because i had some cases when voice calls were not possible, and device in that time showed some forbidden symbol, it was android then. funny thing in those cases were that mobile data worked.

i think symbol for mobile data off should be less alarming.
(04-07-2022, 12:33 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I updated my Mobian installation today and found some differences. "Kings Cross" or "Terminal" is now "Console". The on-screen keyboard is different, with black characters on a white background, though at first glance the layout appears to be the same.

(snip pic)

I am not sure it is connected but I am no longer receiving SMS though data and voice work fine as does SMS send.  I have not had time to troubleshoot it though to determine if it is carrier or phone related.
I do like having the status icons give additional information as this now orange ! does or as android-like OSs and Maemo mobile Linux do, I wish the location icon had a corresponding icon in the notifications tray where we could quick-access our location info, maybe get a quick link lat/lon into clipboard to send/share in a message, and toggle location function as required.
(edit2) fixed in Mobian troubleshooting wiki page https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...s-messages
(edit)
Also the last few days I have been having an issue where the phone acts like outgoing calls are incoming and rings the ringtone, I can hear the other party answer through the ear-speaker and then I have to click the call accept to talk.
(04-07-2022, 08:16 PM)jhasler Wrote: Like most "icons", someone thinks that the meaning is self-evident.

Gnome-brain strikes again! Big Grin SXMO looking better and better all the time...

I would have +rep you but I'm fresh out , apparently!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
Thumbs Down 
Silly choice... question mark without any notification...  Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  icon keyboard chris_02 3 303 02-09-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,721 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,250 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,919 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
  Not connecting to cellular network car46999 18 6,958 01-30-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: car46999
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,031 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
  The settings icon disappeared kubussz 34 13,005 11-15-2022, 10:56 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 5,002 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken