Lost password on second hand Ubports PinePhone?
I bought a second hand Ubports PinePhone. When I boot the phone, it asks me for the password. The seller told me, I had to reinstall Ubports to solve this problem. Is there no other option to solve this problem?
Any other option would be a security issue - the password protection would be worthless if anyone who obtained the phone could bypass it. Why don't you want to reinstall?
You could write jump drive to a sdcard and boot from the sdcard. Then mount the phone's internal memory on a computer and edit the /etc/shadow file.

Having physical access is a major security problem if you lose phones etc I'd wipe it for security reasons, you have no idea what the previous owner setup.
I keep forgetting some people don't install with FDE (full disc encryption). If it's not encrypted then it can be done, but if you don't already know them then a reinstall is probably easier. It may be instructive as to why you might want to start using FDE though.
Thank you both. After I received my PinePhone on the fastest way possible trough Ricardo Switzerland, it arrived at my place after 5.5 days. But unfortunately, nothing worked. I googled all the default passwords of all distros, which is quiet confusing. Finally I decided to reinstall the OS. But it was quiet easy following this instruction:

https://youtu.be/Zf0zwq6jI30

Now, it finally works. This is my second PinePhone. The first, I immediately sold after I received it. The buyer then immediately wanted to know the default password, which I googled to be 12345 in his case. I also enlarged the packing documentation of my PinePhone, but this was not helpful.
(04-07-2022, 10:05 AM)Peter Gamma Wrote: Thank you both. After I received my PinePhone on the fastest way possible trough Ricardo Switzerland, it arrived at my place after 5.5 days. But unfortunately, nothing worked. I googled all the default passwords of all distros, which is quiet confusing. Finally I decided to reinstall the OS. But it was quiet easy following this instruction:

https://youtu.be/Zf0zwq6jI30

Now, it finally works. This is my second PinePhone. The first, I immediately sold after I received it. The buyer then immediately wanted to know the default password, which I googled to be 12345 in his case. I also enlarged the packing documentation of my PinePhone, but this was not helpful.

Regarding the last sentence: The document shipped with the phone is included for legal reasons. For instructions I strongly recommend you to visit the wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone
Thanks, fxc, the WIKI is much more readable Idea .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,110 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 461 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,602 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,668 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 992 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma