Disappearing Settings GUI
I did an update this morning and rebooted and after logging on to the system noticed that there was no GUI for SETTINGS. Makes it difficult to change any settings like wifi or Accessibility and the like.

Hopefully someone higher up the food chain at Mobian will learn of this and fix things.

I have had other programs, like vi, disappear and then reappear with updates.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Running Mobian bookworm with updates as of 4 April 2022.
(04-04-2022, 11:56 AM)sandspur Wrote: I did an update this morning and rebooted and after logging on to the system noticed that there was no GUI for SETTINGS. Makes it difficult to change any settings like wifi or Accessibility and the like.

Hopefully someone higher up the food chain at Mobian will learn of this and fix things.

How did you updated, through gnome-software or terminal?
There are some packaged being kept back, that if forced to be upgraded will remove a lot of essential phosh system packages
(04-04-2022, 11:59 AM)user641 Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 11:56 AM)sandspur Wrote: I did an update this morning and rebooted and after logging on to the system noticed that there was no GUI for SETTINGS. Makes it difficult to change any settings like wifi or Accessibility and the like.

There are some packaged being kept back, that if forced to be upgraded will remove a lot of essential phosh  system packages
Updated by terminal. Stopped gnome control center and then the settings disappeared from the desktop. Now he shows me a lot of unnecessary packages (autoremove)
(04-04-2022, 12:07 PM)kubussz Wrote:

There are some packaged being kept back, that if forced to be upgraded will remove a lot of essential phosh  system packages
Updated by terminal. Stopped gnome control center and then the settings disappeared from the desktop. Now he shows me a lot of unnecessary packages (autoremove)

I  initiated the update in a terminal. Thanks for the insights, kubussz.
(04-04-2022, 12:36 PM)sandspur Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 12:07 PM)kubussz Wrote:

I  initiated the update in a terminal. Thanks for the insights, kubussz.

I found a closed thread with a response from bobblestiltskin from 2020: "root@mobian:/home/mobian# apt install gnome-control-center brought it back for me!"

It worked for me too.

Sandspur

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keyboard keeps disappearing the moment it's touched jojuma 1 432 10-29-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: walter1950
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 963 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  The settings icon disappeared kubussz 34 13,004 11-15-2022, 10:56 AM
Last Post: grump_fiddle_reinstall
  lost settings icon from screen kubussz 3 2,428 02-17-2022, 09:26 AM
Last Post: beretta
  lost settings icon from screen bobblestiltskin 2 3,105 11-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: bobblestiltskin