OpenBSD support?
I'm very excited to learn about Quartz64. I've been looking for a more modern replacement for my RockPro64 and this looks ideal.

As I am strictly running OpenBSD on my devices, I'm wondering if anyone is currently working on porting OpenBSD to Q64.

Thanks much!
In SBC world, it can take years for devices to become well supported in Linux. Which is why ROCKPro64 (or any RK3399 based devices) are at the sweet spot right now. It will probably be another year until RK3566 based devices get to the same level of maturity.

Also, I hate to be the one to have to break it to you, but BSD is quite far behind Debian (Armbian), in SBC context I mean. I have seen a scant couple threads here and there but not much, unfortunately.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
On the *BSD front, someone did get NetBSD on a PINE64 Quartz64 Model A.
Not OpenBSD yet, but a close relative.
The upcoming OpenBSD 7.3 will be supporting Quartz64, the after 7.2 snapshot has already list it as supported device.
(03-26-2022, 05:53 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: In SBC world, it can take years for devices to become well supported in Linux.  Which is why ROCKPro64 (or any RK3399 based devices) are at the sweet spot right now.  It will probably be another year until RK3566 based devices get to the same level of maturity.

In this case, not true. The only ways we're behind RK3399 in mainline support right now in the Linux kernel is rkvdec hwdec and ISP. The rest is things that either RK3399 doesn't have mainlined yet either (encode) or things it doesn't have (NPU). We're just struggling in the u-boot/tf-a department right now, which doesn't matter as much if you use EDKII.

In general, RK356x got mainlined a lot faster than RK3399, with a lot less support from the SoC vendor (Rockchip).

(03-26-2022, 05:53 PM)TRS-80 Wrote: Also, I hate to be the one to have to break it to you, but BSD is quite far behind Debian (Armbian), in SBC context I mean.  I have seen a scant couple threads here and there but not much, unfortunately.

The forum activity is a bad source of information for this. People have been running NetBSD for a while with the EDKII port. In general, people who run BSD are a lot more likely to also contribute to development, so chatter in general is a bad indicator.

Occasional Linux Kernel Contributor, Avid Wiki Updater, Ask Me About Quartz64
Open Hardware Quartz64 Model A TOSLink Adapter
Pi-bus GPIO Extender For ROCKPro64 And Quartz64 Model A
Plebian GNU/Linux
I am glad to hear that RK3566 development is coming along nicely. Some times I am happy to be wrong! Smile

In the meantime I also spoke to some other devs who told me that, in many ways, much of the work done to get RK3399 mainlined sort of 'paved the way' to allow other SoC (like RK3566, etc.) to get mainlined faster.

Having said that, my original comment was from late march and here we are now in December. I still stand by my general point, although maybe it's not 'years' nowadays. I just see way too many people getting excited about product announcements and hype, when in reality all the costs/work are in software development, without which any of these SBC are just paperweights. And the burden of this work falls on 'the community' who are usually supported very little to none by these SBC manufacturers. This is a long-standing issue in SBC community which needs more attention IMO, which is why I try to bring it up (and also to temper expectations).

Cheers.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trustzone support for QUARTZ64 capablegh 13 6,685 04-28-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: NCLI
  Does RK3566 support s2ram deep sleep? jag 0 1,369 09-27-2021, 12:16 PM
Last Post: jag