Stuck in Mask ROM Mode
So I just received my PPP about two days ago and at some point while it was in my pocket it switched into Mask ROM Mode (assuming it was a corrupt emmc) I tried following the thread in the general discussion by removing the battery holding the RE button and booting from sd card (I tried this with two separate microSD cards) to no avail. I have left it charging for a few hours at this point figuring it could be a dead battery although that doesn't seem probable as there has been no change despite attempting a reboot several times I get no LED or screen turning on and any time I check the connection from my pc with lsusb it simply returns that it's in Mask ROM Mode every single time.
Any help would be much appreciated, I'm willing to try anything at this point I was very excited to give this device a go and am very disappointed it's been nothing but a paperweight since I received it..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE: I installed tow-boot onto my sd card and attempted to boot from it, I am now finally getting a red light although on their forums it says it's supposed to turn yellow after a short moment buuuuut it doesn't seem to be doing that unfortunately.. So I feel like I'm getting closer but not having too much luck sadly. If anyone has any more tips it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much everybody!
I have got the similiar problem now. After I have tried to install Mobian by mobian-installer-pinephonepro-phosh-20220327.img.gz from the official resouces here https://images.mobian.org/pinephonepro/i...er/weekly/ . I have got the message that the installaion was failed and rebooted the phone, but after that the phone didn't boot from emmc and from that same sd-card which was used right before and the phone was booting. I thought that it could be the problem with the battery too, but the way according to the instruction with drained battery didn't help. Also, I found the information that I could use the upgrade_tool here https://roc-rk3328-cc.readthedocs.io/en/..._emmc.html but I'm not sure that it's a good idea and want to know how I can do better.
(03-28-2022, 07:38 AM)nickolas Wrote: I have got the similiar problem now. After I have tried to install Mobian by mobian-installer-pinephonepro-phosh-20220327.img.gz from the official resouces here https://images.mobian.org/pinephonepro/i...er/weekly/ . I have got the message that the installaion was failed and rebooted the phone, but after that the phone didn't boot from emmc and from that same sd-card which was used right before and the phone was booting. I thought that it could be the problem with the battery too, but the way according to the instruction with drained battery didn't help. Also, I found the information that I could use the upgrade_tool here https://roc-rk3328-cc.readthedocs.io/en/..._emmc.html but I'm not sure that it's a good idea and want to know how I can do better.

Your issue is unrelated to the above issue and both posts are actually a software issue, so it's a bit the wrong section here. Please flash a compatible operating system to the microSD card and boot from that as explained under https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...croSD_card. Make sure you're holding the RE button to bypass the buggy bootloader on the eMMC. I would suggest you to join the bridged chat channels to debug the issue if you're having trouble booting from microSD card. Playing ping-pong with questions and replies on the forum would delay finding the exact cause from 10-30 minutes to days or weeks.

(03-18-2022, 12:03 AM)somesalmon Wrote: So I just received my PPP about two days ago and at some point while it was in my pocket it switched into Mask ROM Mode (assuming it was a corrupt emmc) I tried following the thread in the general discussion by removing the battery holding the RE button and booting from sd card (I tried this with two separate microSD cards) to no avail. I have left it charging for a few hours at this point figuring it could be a dead battery although that doesn't seem probable as there has been no change despite attempting a reboot several times I get no LED or screen turning on and any time I check the connection from my pc with lsusb it simply returns that it's in Mask ROM Mode every single time.
Any help would be much appreciated, I'm willing to try anything at this point I was very excited to give this device a go and am very disappointed it's been nothing but a paperweight since I received it..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE: I installed tow-boot onto my sd card and attempted to boot from it, I am now finally getting a red light although on their forums it says it's supposed to turn yellow after a short moment buuuuut it doesn't seem to be doing that unfortunately.. So I feel like I'm getting closer but not having too much luck sadly. If anyone has any more tips it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much everybody!

What was the exact command you used to flash the microSD card? Please paste the full command (or name of the tool). The fact that the phone boots into Maskrom means there is no valid boot device found, so there is an issue with either how the microSD card was flashed or how it is inserted.
(03-28-2022, 11:31 AM)fxc Wrote: Make sure you're holding the RE button to bypass the buggy bootloader on the eMMC.
You are right. Sorry for bothering you and thank you for help. I got the wrong idea about this moment correctly.