Have you tried customized Kodi?
I just loaded Kodi after a few months, I just want to let everyone know about the progress that has been made.
Firslty Kodi is firstly a complete UI for DIY TV-box multimedia Linux distros, it is also an app for desktop OSs and mobile Linux and Android distros, it is an ultra flexible platform for streaming and other plugins and easily re-configured with easy to edit UI skins.
There is now a touch 'back' button in the Estouchy UI skin making the Phosh keyboard superfluous.
The latest build for Mobian has a new and quite good custom UI 'skin' which works well as long as you are not touching near the phosh keyboard touch area.
Some of the plugins I tried crashed when they worked in earlier builds but it can stream video and search in other plugins.

I recommend installing and playing with it, I have not tested it but I suspect you will still need your charge cable as in the past Kodi, like VLC, used a battery quickly though it has a quite universal playback codec library so it is rare to find unsupported media.  I have not found much media that the totem player would even play so I have no way to compare battery savings if any.

There is still plenty of work to be done on the easy to hack skin and possibly deeper issues but I can see the effort that has been put into this app.

If your install does not have the Estouchy skin(I experimented with several mobile tweaked skins a few months ago so not sure if this is me or Mobian) you find it by clicking the settings 'gear' - Interface - Skin - Skin
I am not sure how much of the upgrades are the Estouchy skin and how much is Mobian tweaks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Customized Notifications - Non-native Apps arno_nuehm 2 2,191 10-05-2021, 09:42 AM
Last Post: kqlnut