Firefox browser tweaks
I am assuming it takes some about:config toggles I was not able to find in the tin mobile UI to get a clickable link in the Mobian Firefox mobile UI for saved bookmarks.
I will post the answer to the wiki as this is core function especially mobile https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=firefox-esr
any other tweaks would be appreciated which made your experience better including useful low CPU plugins.
(03-06-2022, 10:51 AM)biketool Wrote: I am assuming it takes some about:config toggles I was not able to find in the tin mobile UI to get a clickable link in the Mobian Firefox mobile UI for saved bookmarks.
I will post the answer to the wiki as this is core function especially mobile https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=firefox-esr
any other tweaks would be appreciated which made your experience better including useful low CPU plugins.

So far the best, but not great, option I have is to
Ctrl + Shift + B
with an external keyboard and a USB-C adapter to add a bookmarks toolbar in landscape.
It isn't great and I cant get to the bookmarks low on the list but is better than nothing.
From firefox keyboard shortcuts:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/key..._bookmarks
The way I handle this is to go to about:config (as you thought) and change

browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

to true. Then, whenever you close firefox through it's menu, it will automatically save your bookmarks as a clickable web page.  Once you have made the change, and closed and re-opened ff, you can navigate to bookmarks.html by typing

file:///

in Firefox's address bar and navigate to the page. It will be something like

file:///home/user/.mozilla/firefox/3er452d.default/bookmarks.html

Then you can go into settings and set that page as your default home page, although that only makes it your default for new windows, not new tabs. So I've bookmarked my bookmark page.  I can easily reach it through the address bar.
That browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML setting is pretty neat, new one on me! Thanks for sharing.

But I moved away from browser based bookmarks many years ago. First I moved them to plain text (HTML) files. Eventually I found Org Mode and Emacs and that's where I keep all my notes now. As I can have whatever context I want along with the URLs now. And they are more easily searchable, etc.

You don't have to use Emacs (she's a hairy beast) but just consider the notion of keeping your valuable PIM[0] in plain text files, generally speaking. I do almost everything that way now, as I find it like a Lowest Common Denominator cross platform universal storage format. Then you can sync with something like Syncthing, or even version control.

[0] Personal Information Management
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(03-11-2022, 12:20 AM)TRS-80 Wrote: That browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML setting is pretty neat, new one on me!  Thanks for sharing.

But I moved away from browser based bookmarks many years ago.  First I moved them to plain text (HTML) files.  Eventually I found Org Mode and Emacs and that's where I keep all my notes now.  As I can have whatever context I want along with the URLs now.  And they are more easily searchable, etc.

You don't have to use Emacs (she's a hairy beast) but just consider the notion of keeping your valuable PIM[0] in plain text files, generally speaking.  I do almost everything that way now, as I find it like a Lowest Common Denominator cross platform universal storage format.  Then you can sync with something like Syncthing, or even version control.

[0] Personal Information Management

I suppose that works, especially if you turn that file into a shell script FF launcher where you choose the link you want to open from a list.
I think if Mobian built FF with the same UI settings that the android build did it would make things more usable though,
especially need a nice mobile to desktop toggle for user agent.
I like the sparse UI for now but this is a pocket computer more than a phone, I need more function toggles in the UI than android not less.
I would also like an option to take the bookmark to the desktop as an option.
I played with the available toggles and if I type a few letters I get it to pop up the bookmarks and I think I will be fine with that for now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is Firefox ESR not listet under "Installed" in "Software" jojuma 0 554 08-30-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: jojuma
  Mobian + phosh firefox ublock and other overlays display bugs tuxcall 3 1,676 02-24-2023, 12:11 AM
Last Post: nexion
Exclamation The webcam doesn't work in Firefox anonymous 0 684 11-06-2022, 01:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  How to move Firefox address bar back to top? Zebulon Walton 5 2,847 06-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Last Post: iwakura_lain
  Epiphany browser broken after webkit packages upgrade user641 0 800 04-15-2022, 05:20 AM
Last Post: user641
  Browser cog - Problems on Mobian arno_nuehm 5 3,773 02-10-2022, 03:27 PM
Last Post: pothos
  nordvpn and web browser daniel 11 9,739 10-03-2021, 06:23 PM
Last Post: fluffylimey
  request desktop site from Firefox-esr? nelstomlinson 2 2,193 08-16-2021, 07:23 AM
Last Post: nelstomlinson
  firefox-esr stopped working after June 18 update HLing 17 11,129 07-21-2021, 02:40 PM
Last Post: dante404
  firefox 79 will not install motox6 1 2,118 05-08-2021, 02:09 AM
Last Post: MtnSk8