Telephony stopped working
After about two days of use with a new SIM my ability to send and receive voice telephone calls stopped working.
I can still send and receive SMSs.
This is a Pinephone 3/32 running Linux mobian 5.15-sunxi64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 15 08:08:10 UTC 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
I am assuming there is probably a file that got loaded with junk but a restart, even running updates has not re-enabled phone calls.
I cannot
-dial number from dialpad screen
-dial numbaers from call log
-receive/answer calls and no incoming/missed calls appear in call log

GPS works, SMS works

I have never gotten my 3g/4g data to ever connect.
I have been using this installation to follow Mobian for several months with another SIM installed and rarely made and received successful telephone calls; but first began using Pinephone as my primary two days ago and the error occurred after 3-4 hours of use where the calls were received and rang the ringtone both when awake and in sleep/standby mode..
(03-04-2022, 05:53 AM)biketool Wrote: After about two days of use with a new SIM my ability to send and receive voice telephone calls stopped working.
I can still send and receive SMSs.
This is a Pinephone 3/32 running Linux mobian 5.15-sunxi64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 15 08:08:10 UTC 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux
I am assuming there is probably a file that got loaded with junk but a restart, even running updates has not re-enabled phone calls.
I cannot
-dial number from dialpad screen
-dial numbaers from call log
-receive/answer calls and no incoming/missed calls appear in call log

GPS works, SMS works

I have never gotten my 3g/4g data to ever connect.
I have been using this installation to follow Mobian for several months with another SIM installed and rarely made and received successful telephone calls; but first began using Pinephone as my primary two days ago and the error occurred after 3-4 hours of use where the calls were received and rang the ringtone both when awake and in sleep/standby mode..

What carrier are you with? Is it 4G VoLTE only or does it switch to 3G for calls?

Lots of threads on various telcos, use the search.
Here are some commands you can use to interrogate the modem
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...0#pid86130
(if IMS VoLTE applies you need to find the profile that works, if it exists)

If your operator does not support IMS / VoLTE you could try disabling IMS in /usr/share/eg25-manager/ config file by setting
{ cmd = "QCFG", subcmd = "ims", value = "2" }
comment out the expect = 1 line (or modify it)
then restart eg25-manager:
sudo systemctl restart eg25-manager (I think) or reboot

You can also look at logs
sudo journalctl -b | grep modem
sudo journalctl -b | grep modemmanager
sudo journalctl -b | grep eg25-manager

A lot of people seem to have problems in the US with the modem eventually being blacklisted and kicked off the network, could happen elsewhere too, perhaps?

Note if you use /etc/eg25-manager/ directory for changes to be persistent you need to check the file in /usr/share/eg25-manager hasn't changed after an update as that can result in the modem just not working.

Good luck, let us know what you find out!

Consider adding the operator and country in the title as other users could help.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
OK, first tried the forced 4g only...
switched back to 2g,3g,4g...  that fixed it fast, thanks dcinoz
I had it switched to 4g to try to force it to connect to LTE
I will save the log files to look for future hacking though.
Thanks much!
I will have to add this to the wiki.

Edit:this also unlocked LTE data so double thanks!
Great news! Good thinking on the 4G only mode!
Great if it can help others via the wiki.

Calls won't work on 4G unless IMS / VoLTE is supported and enabled and the correct profile selected.
SMS can work on 4G but may depend on config / operator support.
2G/3G switchoff will no doubt cause lots of trouble, if it is not doing so already.

Default IMS on in eg25-manager config file can cause calls and SMS not to work if the incorrect profile is selected, several users have had success by setting it to off via value =2. Needs 2G/3G network to still be working of course. Really need an IMS / VoLTE toggle in settings!

Telephony is unfortunately getting all too complicated because of bad standards / lack of VoLTE profiles to guarantee IMS /VoLTE just works. Whitelists / blacklists don't help either.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
(03-05-2022, 05:22 PM)dcinoz Wrote: Great news! Good thinking on the 4G only mode!
Great if it can help others via the wiki.

Calls won't work on 4G unless IMS / VoLTE is supported and enabled and the correct profile selected.
SMS can work on 4G but may depend on config / operator support.
2G/3G switchoff will no doubt cause lots of trouble, if it is not doing so already.

Default IMS on in eg25-manager config file can cause calls and SMS not to work if the incorrect profile is selected, several users have had success by setting it to off via value =2. Needs 2G/3G network to still be working of course. Really need an IMS / VoLTE toggle in settings!

Telephony is unfortunately getting all too complicated because of bad standards / lack of VoLTE profiles to guarantee IMS /VoLTE just works. Whitelists / blacklists don't help either.

Interestingly though the Pinephone stays in 4g mode when I allow 2g,3g,4g(preferred) mode, I only set to '4G only' to try to force LTE as sometimes it used to stay in 2g or 3g when I first put a SIM in my pre-upgrade 1gb pmOS branded phone.

Since I am only days in to daily-driving my Pinephone after a few years of playing with it I am surprised how usable it has become.  I feel like this https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php?id=apps selecting surated apps with pre-tuned mobile UIs is a big mover of change.  There is still the battery and crashing issues with apps but so far the experience is better than the few months when I had tried to make a daily-driver phone of an OpenMoko GTA-02 phone around 2010.

I hope the progress with Maemo Leste accelerates as I do think the old Maemo5 UI is far better than Phosh; no need to re invent a very good wheel which was already well funded by Nokia(though I appreciate diversity in FOSS); they already have a good number of great apps ported form garage.maemo.org and it is a fork of Deuvian so no systemd.
Added to wiki, https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...-a-sms-why
I strongly encourage all users with the knowledge to add to the Mobian wiki please feel free to add to this and other parts of the wiki!
This includes the story you see in this thread problem->suggested solution->fix works->add to wiki
Most issues are repeatable not unique, document your fixes beyond the forum please.
When we document fixes it helps devs make permanent fixes, this and available documenting to DIY unbork a system or feature means more satisfied users, leading to a larger install base more dev participation, hardware economy of scale pricing, and a better overall experience for users.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobile internet via cellular network mostly not working Anna 18 9,711 01-19-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: anonymous
Exclamation The internal speaker stops working anonymous 6 813 01-17-2024, 05:53 PM
  APN settings not working with new operator SIM card user641 1 962 03-01-2023, 04:43 PM
  Possible Solution for Microphone Not Working Ferriah 0 903 02-13-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Ferriah
  Squeekboard stopped working Zebulon Walton 2 1,096 11-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  suspend inhibit no longer working jsch 3 1,884 10-23-2022, 09:20 AM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  Rescue Your Mobian post Update Aug22 faster fix to working guide biketool 9 4,496 09-05-2022, 12:10 AM
Last Post: biketool
  How to get Pinetime working with Pinephone arkadione 12 6,939 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fish
  Receiving SMS stopped working treebeard 11 5,235 08-12-2022, 10:31 AM
Last Post: treebeard
  PP keyboard not working at all jojuma 3 1,694 08-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: jojuma