New PinePhone died after first WiFi setup
Hi all!

I recently got my PinePhone and currently it's showing no signs of life. Not even a red led.
Here's what I did once I unboxed it.

1. Let it warm up to room temperature and dehumidify over 24 hours.
2. Removed the plastic covering the battery connections.
3. Connected the red USB to a USB2 charger and inserted the cable in the phone.
4. Waited approx. 5 hours. (Phone felt a little warm to the touch)
5. Removed the charging cable.
6. Held the Power button 2 seconds. Didn't work
7. Tried that a few more times. No luck.
8. Inserted the USB charging cable with power connected.
9. Held the Power button 2 seconds.
10. Phone turns on.
11. I complete the initial steps and finish off by entering my WiFi credentials.
12. Screen displays "Setup Complete"
13. Screen goes black with an audible click coming from the speaker. (Sounded like when the DC offset changes)
14. Phone stays off.
15. Power button does nothing.
16. No light from led neither red nor green.
17. Flash SD card with Mobian and insert it into the SD card slot.
18. Try to power on.
19. No life whatsoever.

Is the phone completely bricked or can I recover it somehow?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
That is on the regular PinePhone and not the Pro, right? It is possible your phone is simply fully drained, in such a case it won't boot with just a few exceptions: One of the exceptions is Jumpdrive, so I would recommend you to flash Jumpdrive on the microSD card if you're using the regular PinePhone and to boot from that, while having the USB-C cable connected to a wall charger: https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...one.img.xz

Make sure the microSD card is in the top slot and inserted all the way. Make also sure you're flashing the whole microSD card and not the first partition on it (things like "/dev/sdc1" are wrong!). If that boots fine let it charge for a few hours while Jumpdrive is running.

Please join the community chat for further debugging and questions, see https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/Main_Page#Chat_Platforms.
(03-03-2022, 11:40 AM)fxc Wrote: That is on the regular PinePhone and not the Pro, right?

Thanks for replying! Sorry maybe I should have clarified it's the Pro (https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-pro...r-edition/)

How can I find out if the battery is drained? I thought I would be delivered with at least some charge on it. I tried checking the battery + and - connections but it read 0V. So maybe the battery is completely dead?

I will try your suggestion with the jump drive.

Thanks again!
JumpDrive is not compatible with the Pro. For the Pro the drained battery boot loop is a known issue, simply follow the information in the blue info box: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...structions
(03-03-2022, 03:29 PM)fxc Wrote: JumpDrive is not compatible with the Pro. For the Pro the drained battery boot loop is a known issue, simply follow the information in the blue info box: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...structions

Thanks for the tip! I followed the instructions and indeed when using lsusb the line appears:
Bus 001 Device 050: ID 2207:330c Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Company RK3399 in Mask ROM mode

I'll let it stay connected for 4 or 5 hours and see what happens.
'
Thanks again!
(03-04-2022, 03:22 AM)phero Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 03:29 PM)fxc Wrote: JumpDrive is not compatible with the Pro. For the Pro the drained battery boot loop is a known issue, simply follow the information in the blue info box: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...structions

Thanks for the tip! I followed the instructions and indeed when using lsusb the line appears:
Bus 001 Device 050: ID 2207:330c Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Company RK3399 in Mask ROM mode

I'll let it stay connected for 4 or 5 hours and see what happens.
'
Thanks again!

That's a very good sign and telling us that the phone is working as expected. You can unplug the phone from USB for a good minute or two and replug it again and then check "lsusb" again. If it disappeared from "lsusb" after replugging it was indeed discharged. If it is still showing Maskrom mode then your installation is fully corrupted and the battery is charged just fine. In the latter case you simply need to flash a microSD card and boot from that (using the RE button method).
[quote pid="107677" dateline="1646398655"]
That's a very good sign and telling us that the phone is working as expected. You can unplug the phone from USB for a good minute or two and replug it again and then check "lsusb" again. If it disappeared from "lsusb" after replugging it was indeed discharged. If it is still showing Maskrom mode then your installation is fully corrupted and the battery is charged just fine. In the latter case you simply need to flash a microSD card and boot from that (using the RE button method).
[/quote]

It's now working after I flashed Mobian to an SD card and booted from that!
Thanks a bunch!

I remove the SD card it can also boot in the OS on the eMMC. For some reason my password doesn't work though.

I'm considering flashing the eMMC from the Mobian installation but `lsbk` doesn't show the eMMC drive. Only the SD card

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
mmcblk1    179:0    0 29.7G  0 disk
├─mmcblk1p1 179:1    0  496M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk1p2 179:2    0 29.2G  0 part /
zram0      254:0    0  1.9G  0 disk [SWAP]

Is there a way to reset the password on the default OS? I can't connect via SSH either.

Sorry for asking so many questions! You already helped a lot Smile
(03-05-2022, 07:57 AM)phero Wrote: It's now working after I flashed Mobian to an SD card and booted from that!
Thanks a bunch!

I remove the SD card it can also boot in the OS on the eMMC. For some reason my password doesn't work though.

I'm considering flashing the eMMC from the Mobian installation but `lsbk` doesn't show the eMMC drive. Only the SD card

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
mmcblk1    179:0    0 29.7G  0 disk
├─mmcblk1p1 179:1    0  496M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk1p2 179:2    0 29.2G  0 part /
zram0      254:0    0  1.9G  0 disk [SWAP]

Is there a way to reset the password on the default OS? I can't connect via SSH either.

Sorry for asking so many questions! You already helped a lot Smile

If it is not showing the eMMC then you held the RE button for too long. Simply boot it again but hold RE shorter this time.
(03-05-2022, 09:16 AM)fxc Wrote: If it is not showing the eMMC then you held the RE button for too long. Simply boot it again but hold RE shorter this time.

That did the trick! I managed to flash the eMMC with manjaro arm!

Unfortunately I left the phone unplugged during the night and the battery may be drained again. Once I plugged in the usb cable it started booting over and over again showing the KDE logo.

I'll probably have to go through the steps from the beginning.

But thanks for helping me out. I think I can start to experiment with building some apps once I get it up and running again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 203 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 249 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 413 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 570 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 3,998 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 9,862 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 659 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,123 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,070 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack
  Is my pinephone pro worth resurrecting? tckosvic 5 2,821 09-14-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: DaForest