Passcode doesn't work when booting from SD card
So I managed to boot from the SD card, but now it's asking me for a passcode to unlock the device. I set up a passcode during my initial set up when I first turned the phone on (There was no SD card in the phone at the time), but that passcode isn't working to unlock the device running from the SD card. It doesn't seem to matter which distro I'm using as I've tried multiple.

Any idea what this passcode the phone is looking for is?

Any help appreciated. I really want the see the PPP become daily driverable.
(03-02-2022, 03:21 AM)Dinobot Wrote: So I managed to boot from the SD card, but now it's asking me for a passcode to unlock the device. I set up a passcode during my initial set up when I first turned the phone on (There was no SD card in the phone at the time), but that passcode isn't working to unlock the device running from the SD card. It doesn't seem to matter which distro I'm using as I've tried multiple.

Try 123456
Each Distro has it's own default pin, when you boot from a sd card you must use the default pin for that system.

> when booting from the sd card the first time.

You can change it of course, after you set it up.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-02-2022, 04:49 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Each Distro has it's own default pin,  when you boot from a sd card you must use the default pin for that system.

>  when booting from the sd card the first time.

On manjaro-phosh, though, you have to keep 6 digits or it won't let you change

tom kosvic

(03-02-2022, 03:21 AM)Dinobot Wrote: So I managed to boot from the SD card, but now it's asking me for a passcode to unlock the device. I set up a passcode during my initial set up when I first turned the phone on (There was no SD card in the phone at the time), but that passcode isn't working to unlock the device running from the SD card. It doesn't seem to matter which distro I'm using as I've tried multiple.

If there was no SD card in the phone you must have configured the password in the eMMC installed system in memory.  When you put an SD card in and boot from that you must use the default for your system or configure a password after the first time .  I don't know your OS/desktop but om manjaro it takes extra steps to get to boot from the eMMC.

Look at https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...e_Releases for default user id and passwords for the various systems.

Without a reinstall, I know of no way to reset a password.  I'd just try combinations you might be likely to use.

tom kosvic
(03-02-2022, 04:40 AM)Emilio Wrote:

Try 123456

(03-02-2022, 04:49 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Each Distro has it's own default pin, when you boot from a sd card you must use the default pin for that system.

> when booting from the sd card the first time.

(03-02-2022, 02:32 PM)tckosvic Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 04:49 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Each Distro has it's own default pin,  when you boot from a sd card you must use the default pin for that system.

>  when booting from the sd card the first time.

On manjaro-phosh, though, you have to keep 6 digits or it won't let you change

tom kosvic

If there was no SD card in the phone you must have configured the password in the eMMC installed system in memory.  When you put an SD card in and boot from that you must use the default for your system or configure a password after the first time .  I don't know your OS/desktop but om manjaro it takes extra steps to get to boot from the eMMC.

Look at https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...e_Releases for default user id and passwords for the various systems.

Without a reinstall, I know of no way to reset a password.  I'd just try combinations you might be likely to use.

tom kosvic

Thanks for the help.

Solution: Passcode 123456 eventually worked. I saw 123456 on the releases download page and had tried it, but for some reason it didn't work at first. I'm not sure what happened, but I think that maybe when you flash the SD card, you need to use 123456 on your first attempt logging in. If you use a different passcode and then try 123456, it might not work.

So, at first 123456 wasn't working (which prompted me to make the original post). But, after flashing the SD card again and using 123456 on my first attempt, it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch SXMO Stopped Booting After A Megi Linux Update. mburns 0 417 11-07-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: mburns
  Booting from SD Works for Installers, not OS's ?? Diagon 3 1,062 08-13-2023, 03:27 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Factory AOSP image but for your SD card! Danct12 14 8,076 04-03-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: strungar
  Getting Waydroid to work on the Pinephone Pro Dragonborn 8 7,058 09-18-2022, 06:50 PM
Last Post: nroth
  Phone wont turn on with any SD Card inserted Ausfaller 3 2,304 07-21-2022, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Ausfaller
  Getting hdmi out to work reliably? emole 3 2,374 05-27-2022, 05:30 PM
Last Post: hockleyj
  Can't boot from a microSD card WhyNotHugo 5 2,998 04-10-2022, 09:15 AM
Last Post: WhyNotHugo
  Flash Pinephone Pro image from SD card to eMMC? jcun4128 9 6,520 03-11-2022, 09:09 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Call and sms out work only shortly after answering a call altor 1 1,180 03-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Last Post: altor
  How long does it take to boot from SD card? Dinobot 1 1,234 03-02-2022, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Dinobot