Pinephone incoming call / SMS notification no ringing / notification volume
Hi,

I've been running Mobian for a while and updated to Bookworm and have kept up-to-date since.
Calls have been working for me (non-IMS VoLTE) and so has SMS though I've had a few missing incoming calls / text notifications, too, from suspend.

Use case is phone on and suspended, modem firmware EG25GGBR07A08M2G_01.003.01.003

It seems that recently incoming calls and SMS no longer have any ringing / notification volume. I had several text messages give no notification from suspend with screen locked, I've tested an incoming call and the incoming call screen is there but no ringing. Same with SMS, I get the text notification popup on the lockscreen but no notification sound. Volume is on max.

Speaker tests from sound settings works, pulseaudio shows everything at 0dB.

I've logged a bug report
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/416

Wondering whether I'm the only one to have noticed this recently.

I think this is due to user error as I noticed the notification 'bell' icon was crossed out from the quick setting drop-down, I have no idea when I disabled it, must have pressed it accidentally when turning wifi on / off....Silly me.

Ooops......sorry!

Tested incoming call and SMS and behaved as expected!

I'll leave the phone in suspend for a while to test it again and then will close this thread.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
(02-23-2022, 01:00 AM)dcinoz Wrote: Hi,

I've been running Mobian for a while and updated to Bookworm and have kept up-to-date since.
Calls have been working for me (non-IMS VoLTE) and so has SMS though I've had a few missing incoming calls / text notifications, too, from suspend.

Use case is phone on and suspended, modem firmware EG25GGBR07A08M2G_01.003.01.003

It seems that recently incoming calls and SMS no longer have any ringing / notification volume. I had several text messages give no notification from suspend with screen locked, I've tested an incoming call and the incoming call screen is there but no ringing. Same with SMS, I get the text notification popup on the lockscreen but no notification sound. Volume is on max.

I've logged a bug report

I think this is due to user error as I noticed the notification 'bell' icon was crossed out from the quick setting drop-down, I have no idea when I disabled it, must have pressed it accidentally when turning wifi on / off....Silly me.

Ooops......sorry!

Tested incoming call and SMS and behaved as expected!

I'll leave the phone in suspend for a while to test it again and then will close this thread.

Hello there and thanks for your post.

I experienced the same behaviour but had not enough time to dig into it (and hoped, it will solve itself...). I think, some of the latest updates triggered the silent mode since I know that I didn't press it myself.

So, again, thanks for mentioning it here!
(02-23-2022, 03:33 AM)arno_nuehm Wrote: Hello there and thanks for your post.

I experienced the same behaviour but had not enough time to dig into it (and hoped, it will solve itself...). I think, some of the latest updates triggered the silent mode since I know that I didn't press it myself.

So, again, thanks for mentioning it here!

Mystified and feeling very silly but it has never happened to me before (turning notifications off via the quick setting menu) so perhaps it happened via updates, who knows?! And pretty sure notifications in settings were enabled, I checked that toggle too.

Closing as solved but interesting that it's happened to someone else!
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
(02-23-2022, 01:00 AM)dcinoz Wrote: It seems that recently incoming calls and SMS no longer have any ringing / notification volume. I had several text messages give no notification from suspend with screen locked, I've tested an incoming call and the incoming call screen is there but no ringing. Same with SMS, I get the text notification popup on the lockscreen but no notification sound. Volume is on max.

I've logged a bug report

I'm experiencing this same issue. I've never heard any notification sound since using the Pinephone for a week now. I only hear the sound when I plug in my phone to be charged.

- bell is turned on
- system volume 100%
- system sounds 100%
- get notifications on lock screen
- blue LED lights up
- i hear sounds when changing volume
- i hear sounds when plugging in my phone to charge

I'm very perplexed.

[SOLVED]

It turns out Dino-im app doesn't have working notification sounds. I tried it with Chatty and indeed the sounds work.

Now to figure out how to get pinetime working Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  System won't suspend due to suspention notification user641 6 1,190 09-24-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: user641
  No volume control after latest updates Zebulon Walton 19 6,657 09-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Last Post: jessencan
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,329 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,249 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,057 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,102 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Sending Pinephone SMS from Desktop biketool 5 2,748 09-13-2022, 01:46 PM
  How to get Pinetime working with Pinephone arkadione 12 6,941 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fish