Glacially slow system updates on Mobian - waiting on boot 20m - 1h
Hello!

I have Mobian installed to the embedded SD in my PinePhone PmOS edition.

Any time I do a System Update with a reboot, it takes very long. I haven't timed it, but I wager the better part of an hour was spent updating once, then when I loaded in it asked for another (it's been a while, so that's fine), but then that took ~20m.

What are the average system update times for anyone else here?
Is there a way to speed this up? Is it affected by system encryption?
Hello there,

the cause of lenghty updates might be the update of initramfs, which takes quite a while in my case with full disc encryption.

I'm always updating via terminal so I can see, what is taking so long.

Hopefully, that helped you.

Cheers
(02-22-2022, 10:34 AM)bujiraso Wrote: What are the average system update times for anyone else here?

It used to be discouraged to use "Software" and the Graphical User Interface for updates because it was known to cause problems (not sure if that's still the case). It was recommended to to use the terminal instead:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y -y

That's how I've always done it without ever experiencing any problems or delays of glacial proportions. Never takes more than five minutes to upgrade (which I do on a daily basis though).
I've seen very slow initramfs creation with full disc encryption too. I update from the terminal not the gui.
(02-23-2022, 11:45 AM)Anna Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 10:34 AM)bujiraso Wrote: What are the average system update times for anyone else here?

It used to be discouraged to use "Software" and the Graphical User Interface for updates because it was known to cause problems (not sure if that's still the case). It was recommended to to use the terminal instead:

Code:
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y -y

That's how I've always done it without ever experiencing any problems or delays of glacial proportions. Never takes more than five minutes to upgrade (which I do on a daily basis though).

It's also quite worth the time to alias Anna's tip to ~/.bash_aliases (or .bashrc )
Code:
alias sup='sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y'
 that way all you need to do is run `sup` in your terminal if you find yourself unable to ssh in and have a tendency to fat finger the tiny popup keyboard.
Thanks, all, for the feedback!
I'll update via terminal, as suggested

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,512 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,710 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  Errors when start the system kubussz 2 464 11-21-2023, 11:07 AM
Last Post: kubussz
  How to check if tow-boot is installed? jojuma 3 804 09-29-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: tllim
  System won't suspend due to suspention notification user641 6 1,189 09-24-2023, 05:47 AM
Last Post: user641
  No volume control after latest updates Zebulon Walton 19 6,642 09-08-2023, 08:28 AM
Last Post: jessencan
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,686 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,904 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra