How to activate developer mode on PPP explorer
I was looking at: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...er_Edition  and I saw that the adb tools could be used on the PPP developer edition.

I have my samsung android phone set with developer options open so I can delete google garbage etc.  I use adb tools to do the debloating.  I had no idea adb would run on the PPP.  I thought that they were specific to android.

Can/how do I activate developer mode on the Explorer edition?  I can't see any way to do that in settings as there is in android settings.  Is there a method to activate developer mode?

thanks,      tom kosvic
(02-14-2022, 07:50 AM)tckosvic Wrote: I was looking at: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...er_Edition  and I saw that the adb tools could be used on the PPP developer edition.

I have my samsung android phone set with developer options open so I can delete google garbage etc.  I use adb tools to do the debloating.  I had no idea adb would run on the PPP.  I thought that they were specific to android.

Can/how do I activate developer mode on the Explorer edition?  I can't see any way to do that in settings as there is in android settings.  Is there a method to activate developer mode?

thanks,      tom kosvic

short version: there is no developer mode in pp (pro) o.s.'s. use "sudo su -l" get the root access.

pinephone o.s. is somewhat similar to other gnu/linux installation. you have root access. you have package management system, could be many of them. you use package manager to install or uninstall packages.

theoretically, pinephone could receive adb commands but what is the purpose if user has root access. however, pp itself could send adb commands to lte-modem chip and there is need for it.

pinephone's partioning system is also different than average android. in short, user has total control of partitioning in pinephone, unlike in android world where user bows to the fastboot and what else.

side note: i have flash and used fastboot and adb for android device from pinephone, other direction.
(02-14-2022, 08:53 AM)zetabeta Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 07:50 AM)tckosvic Wrote: I was looking at: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...er_Edition  and I saw that the adb tools could be used on the PPP developer edition.

thanks,      tom kosvic

short version: there is no developer mode in pp (pro) o.s.'s. use "sudo su -l" get the root access.

pinephone o.s. is somewhat similar to other gnu/linux installation. you have root access. you have package management system, could be many of them. you use package manager to install or uninstall packages.

theoretically, pinephone could receive adb commands but what is the purpose if user has root access. however, pp itself could send adb commands to lte-modem chip and there is need for it.

pinephone's partioning system is also different than average android. in short, user has total control of partitioning in pinephone, unlike in android world where user bows to the fastboot and what else.

side note: i have flash and used fastboot and adb for android device from pinephone, other direction.

Thanks for the info.  After posting an issue on git that su not working, I was told that that is a "feature" not an issue in manjaro-phosh.   I was looking elsewhere for better access.  Now, I can try "sudo su -l" to try additional things.

thanks,     tom kosvic

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shutdown / Reboot PPP from TowBoot "Volume Up" USB Readable Drive Mode crocspot 2 511 11-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaForest
  Powering off PPP for night to activate the PPP alarm clock morning raboszcz 5 1,111 09-27-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: raboszcz
  Will a Pinephone Pro (Explorer) work with TING wpeckham 7 2,667 07-21-2023, 08:33 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Need to re-write U-boot from Pinephone pro currently in mass rom mode wolverine1 6 2,706 11-20-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition for sale, link in description Dinobot 0 1,005 07-16-2022, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Dinobot
  PinephonePro Explorer Edition for sale, link in the post. LinuXmarksTheSpot 0 851 05-29-2022, 12:15 PM
Last Post: LinuXmarksTheSpot
  New Pinephone Pro won't boot, not even in recovery mode Kaiser958 21 12,784 03-02-2022, 04:40 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Updating/ upgrading PPP Explorer with KDE Plasma Pinoideae 5 3,165 02-06-2022, 04:05 PM
Last Post: Pinoideae
Sad Can I recover bricked device from Mask ROM mode? Damage 14 7,088 02-04-2022, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Damage
  PPP Explorer Edition - Wipe eMMC The3DmaN 7 5,258 02-01-2022, 04:34 AM
Last Post: dukla2000