Possibly dysfunctional as a cell phone
I am finding that if the PPP is off the charger (as in your pocket when you go out) it turns off after about 45 minutes and does not answer calls.  If you activate it with the start button, it still wakes up (not a reboot/restart from cold) and does answer calls.  To me this makes the PPP dysfunctional as to be a usable cell phone if you can't reliably get a call after 45 minutes off the tether.

I am running tests calling PPP with android phone.  It looks like about 45 minutes from a full charge before it goes dead and stops answering after being off charger.  Still at 70% or so battery.  I will continue to test. Manjaro-phosh system.

Are others seeing the same thing or is this just my phone?   How long can you have the PPP off charger and still receive a call?  What if you go out with 70% battery, 50% battery?

thanks,     tom kosvic
(02-12-2022, 08:59 PM)tckosvic Wrote: I am finding that if the PPP is off the charger (as in your pocket when you go out) it turns off after about 45 minutes and does not answer calls.  If you activate it with the start button, it still wakes up (not a reboot/restart from cold) and does answer calls.  To me this makes the PPP dysfunctional as to be a usable cell phone if you can't reliably get a call after 45 minutes off the tether.

I am running tests calling PPP with android phone.  It looks like about 45 minutes from a full charge before it goes dead and stops answering after being off charger.  Still at 70% or so battery.  I will continue to test.  Manjaro-phosh system.

Are others seeing the same thing or is this just my phone?   How long can you have the PPP off charger and still receive a call?  What if you go out with 70% battery, 50% battery?

thanks,     tom kosvic

PPP is still early. Distros are still working out suspend, drivers, and battery optimization with the new chipset.

What you are experiencing is a partial suspend in deep sleep that is failing to keep the modem active when the rest of the phone is in low power mode. This was the same thing that needed work for the original Pinephone and was working correctly after a couple of months. Give the Pinephone Pro some time. This isn't a daily driver yet and has to go through some of the stages the original Pinephone did in terms of optimization.

If you don't want it to suspend you can turn that off in the settings. Or set suspend never. Won't be good for battery life, but atleast you can take calls until it's fixed
(02-13-2022, 02:53 AM)lllsondowlll Wrote:
(02-12-2022, 08:59 PM)tckosvic Wrote: I am finding that if the PPP is off the charger (as in your pocket when you go out) it turns off after about 45 minutes and does not answer calls.  If you activate it with the start button, it still wakes up (not a reboot/restart from cold) and does answer calls.  To me this makes the PPP dysfunctional as to be a usable cell phone if you can't reliably get a call after 45 minutes off the tether.

I am running tests calling PPP with android phone.  It looks like about 45 minutes from a full charge before it goes dead and stops answering after being off charger.  Still at 70% or so battery.  I will continue to test.  Manjaro-phosh system.

thanks,     tom kosvic

PPP is still early. Distros are still working out suspend, drivers, and battery optimization with the new chipset.

What you are experiencing is a partial suspend in deep sleep that is failing to keep the modem active when the rest of the phone is in low power mode. This was the same thing that needed work for the original Pinephone and was working correctly after a couple of months. Give the Pinephone Pro some time. This isn't a daily driver yet and has to go through some of the stages the original Pinephone did in terms of optimization.

If you don't want it to suspend you can turn that off in the settings. Or set suspend never. Won't be good for battery life, but atleast you can take calls until it's fixed

If this was found in the PP, why wasn't the fix included in development plan for the new chip for the PPP.  Is suspend a distro setting or a desktop setting, or a system software (kernel) setting?  In development, you're supposed to incorporate found fixes in the next version and not release the new version until important fixes are made.  
I will find the suspend setting and test with it enabled and disabled.

tom kosvic
In another test sequence, I called PPP every 15 minutes after removing from wall charger.  After 1 hr and 15 minutes it stopped answering.  Phone went to sleep and needed a cold reboot (seeing red and blue lights)  to reactivate.  Phone was down to 57% battery after 1 1/4 hrs.

Next, I will recharge the phone.  Then disconnect from charger as if going out.  I won't call every 15 minutes but I will wait 1 hour to see if it picks up a call.  I think calling every 15 minutes possibly reset the shutdown timer each call.  I will try it without the frequent calls.

Maybe you need someone to call you every 15 minutes if you go out.

tom kosvic
(02-13-2022, 08:00 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(02-13-2022, 02:53 AM)lllsondowlll Wrote:

thanks,     tom kosvic

If this was found in the PP, why wasn't the fix included in development plan for the new chip for the PPP.  Is suspend a distro setting or a desktop setting, or a system software (kernel) setting?  In development, you're supposed to incorporate found fixes in the next version and not release the new version until important fixes are made.  
I will find the suspend setting and test with it enabled and disabled.

tom kosvic

I think you are misunderstanding. The Pinephone Pro software is still under development. It is stated as so on the purchase page of Pine64 website. There will be bugs It's being worked on.

Disable suspend from settings for now if you want it to reliability wake and not have to cold boot it every 15 minutes.
I set mine to never suspend while on the charger, it was still functioning after 30 hours on the charger.

For a daily driver that is unacceptable,

but for a brand new system on a new phone, I think it is showing great promise.

That's just my opinion though.

Feb. 13, 2022...Sunday

My "on battery delay" is set for 5 minutes, and yep, it does freeze when it goes into suspend.

This is supposed to be fun, or at least "Interesting", watching these phones as they start and grow from the developers
ideas into an actual working phones.

It has been about 25 months since I received my Brave Heart phone, it has been a very interesting time for me.

I am glad I found Pine64, -- I won't trade any of my Pine phones for a rotten Apple or a privacy invading Google piece of cr....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
i do not recomend firmware update, at least not directly.

https://github.com/Biktorgj/pinephone_mo.../tag/0.5.5 and see notes.

NOTES:
  • When using a Pinephone Pro, make sure you enable USB persist:
    • In
      Code:
      /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/80-modem-eg25.rules
    • ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/persist}="1"

this might be related to call problems.
(02-13-2022, 11:43 PM)zetabeta Wrote: i do not recomend firmware update, at least not directly.

NOTES:
    • In
      Code:
    • ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DRIVERS=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2c7c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0125", ATTR{power/persist}="1"

I looked at the file that you suggested.  The only change I can see to make is:  ATTR{power/persist}="0"  --->  ATTR{power/persist}="1"
All the other items are already as you listed.   Is that the change you suggested to make?
Also, briefly, what am I changing from and to and why?.

thanks,   tom kosvic
(02-14-2022, 07:09 AM)tckosvic Wrote:
(02-13-2022, 11:43 PM)zetabeta Wrote: i do not recomend firmware update, at least not directly.

NOTES:
    • In
      Code:

I looked at the file that you suggested.  The only change I can see to make is:  ATTR{power/persist}="0"  --->  ATTR{power/persist}="1"
All the other items are already as you listed.   Is that the change you suggested to make?
Also, briefly, what am I changing from and to and why?.

thanks,   tom kosvic

udev settings are related to usb power settings. i don't know what they precisely mean but they causes usb devices to disappear and appear. eg25-g modem chip operates as a usb device. i don't know why biktorgj recommends that setting and it's for half opensource firmware but it could work for your case (or not).

i had this issue with pp regular, notice differences. https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid103530
(02-13-2022, 09:51 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I set mine to never suspend while on the charger,  it was still functioning after 30 hours on the charger.

For a daily driver that is unacceptable,

but for a brand new system on a new phone,  I think it is showing great promise.

That's just my opinion though.

Feb. 13, 2022...Sunday

My  "on battery delay" is set for 5 minutes,  and yep,  it does freeze when it goes into suspend.

This is supposed to be fun,  or at least "Interesting",  watching these phones as they start and grow from the developers
ideas into an actual working phones.

It has been about 25 months since I received my Brave Heart phone,  it has been a very interesting time for me.

I am glad I found Pine64,  --  I won't trade any of my Pine phones for a rotten Apple or a privacy invading Google piece of cr....
Try letting it be OFF the charger as if out someplace.  See how long it functions as a phone.  Not ON the charger.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 3,997 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PPP used with smart phone gaming fan. DaForest 3 689 11-19-2023, 05:17 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Is the pine phone usable as a daily driver now? gautamb11 18 3,981 10-27-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Pine Phone Pro: Mobian+plasma mobile GabrieleMax 2 1,470 04-30-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: diederik
  pine phone pro won't start robb777 2 1,318 01-25-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: emsyr
  Current State of PIne Phone Pro kmsgli 40 24,901 12-23-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Simon Belmont
  Was the Pine Phone Pro you got from DHL new? theForce 3 1,940 10-31-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Internet is not working on Pine Pro phone caroljames972022 0 828 09-16-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: caroljames972022
  Loud echo on receiving phone when called TheRealThor 3 2,015 08-09-2022, 10:09 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  Phone not reading sim For_lack_of_a_better_name 6 4,066 06-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: daveman1010220