SD Card or other expandable storage?
SD cards are almost absent in eink devices nowadays, arguably for pushing people into buying cloud services and discouraging offline personal .epub and .pdf libraries. A linux device has no such conflict of interest, why then leaving sd cards out? 

128GB is lots for a simple eink reader, but gets filled quickly for mainline linux installations (not to mentions personal .epub and .pdf libraries, which can easily be much bigger than that). 

Is there any plan for supporting sd/microsd card expansion or other forms of in-device expansion? Is it possible to mod the device as is (spare connectors on the motherboard and similar) ?
(02-11-2022, 06:24 AM)magiwanders Wrote: SD cards are almost absent in eink devices nowadays, arguably for pushing people into buying cloud services and discouraging offline personal .epub and .pdf libraries. A linux device has no such conflict of interest, why then leaving sd cards out? 

128GB is lots for a simple eink reader, but gets filled quickly for mainline linux installations (not to mentions personal .epub and .pdf libraries, which can easily be much bigger than that). 

Is there any plan for supporting sd/microsd card expansion or other forms of in-device expansion? Is it possible to mod the device as is (spare connectors on the motherboard and similar) ?

At present, adding an externally accessible SD card is not in the plans:
Pine64 Wiki - PineNote - Hardware
The frame / case seems fixed, at least for the near future.

I would hope that a future iteration of the system board could add an internally accessible SD card. It's not perfect, but can add quite a bit of storage.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(02-13-2022, 04:33 AM)Arwen Wrote: At present, adding an externally accessible SD card is not in the plans:

I would hope that a future iteration of the system board could add an internally accessible SD card. It's not perfect, but can add quite a bit of storage.

While my developer edition request for the PineNote was accepted, in the end i decided against it due to the lack of any replacable storage in form of an SD card.

I still hope that a future iteration of the PineNote will do feature an SD card slot. I don't really mind the current price of the device and i certainly wouldn't mind any price increase for the addition of an SD card slot, given the potential of the free hardware design. Adding an SD card slot would definitely add to a much more suitable hardware potential.

I already own and use Likebook Mimas 10" e-readers by Boyue since almost two years, deciding against the more easily accessible and much better supported Boox brand only because the Boyue devices do feature an SD card slot.

Integrated external storage in form as of an SD card slot is a must IMHO, just like the Pinebook Pro and the PinePhone do.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & Pinephone (Braveheart)
(02-13-2022, 04:33 AM)Arwen Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 06:24 AM)magiwanders Wrote: SD cards are almost absent in eink devices nowadays, arguably for pushing people into buying cloud services and discouraging offline personal .epub and .pdf libraries. A linux device has no such conflict of interest, why then leaving sd cards out? 

At present, adding an externally accessible SD card is not in the plans:

Even if internal, it might be just enough!