TS-100 tips
I did post this initially in the accessories section but I'm raising it again because I've bought a second TS-100 tip from a different supplier (Amazon) and I've got the same issue as the one I bought from Banggood.

Both TS-100 Tips show 300 degress tip temperature when it's only 29 degrees (I'm holding the tip in my hand) and the power goes down to 1 watt because it thinks the tip it hot enough. 

I have compared the electrical circuit of the TS-100 tips to my original Pinecil one and it is different,  on the Pinecil original the top connector ring nearest the tip is isolated from the body of the tip whereas the TS-100 tip has the top ring shorted out to the body.

Can someone who has a TS-100 tip just check if their's is the same as I'm assuming this is why they don't work correctly.

Cheers,
Phil
(02-10-2022, 04:33 AM)gadjet Wrote: I did post this initially in the accessories section but I'm raising it again because I've bought a second TS-100 tip from a different supplier (Amazon) and I've got the same issue as the one I bought from Banggood.

Both TS-100 Tips show 300 degress tip temperature when it's only 29 degrees (I'm holding the tip in my hand) and the power goes down to 1 watt because it thinks the tip it hot enough. 

I have compared the electrical circuit of the TS-100 tips to my original Pinecil one and it is different,  on the Pinecil original the top connector ring nearest the tip is isolated from the body of the tip whereas the TS-100 tip has the top ring shorted out to the body.

Can someone who has a TS-100 tip just check if their's is the same as I'm assuming this is why they don't work correctly.

Cheers,
Phil
If you have a multi-meter can you give us the room temperature ohms and volts reading on all rings of both the pinecil and the new TS-100 tips?
Hi sorry for the delay in answering, here are the measurements I've taken

TS-100 resistance between the rings = 8.6 Ohms
TS-100 resistance between top ring and body 0.9 Ohms
TS-100 resistance between bottom ring and body 9 Ohms

Pinecil resistance between the rings = 8.2 Ohms
Pinecil resistance between top ring and body 40k
Pinecil resistance between bottom ring and body 40k
(02-15-2022, 02:59 AM)gadjet Wrote: Hi sorry for the delay in answering, here are the measurements I've taken

TS-100 resistance between the rings = 8.6 Ohms
TS-100 resistance between top ring and body 0.9 Ohms
TS-100 resistance between bottom ring and body 9 Ohms

Pinecil resistance between the rings = 8.2 Ohms
Pinecil resistance between top ring and body 40k
Pinecil resistance between bottom ring and body 40k

Firstly it is so nice that asking for readings like this can be expected in this community.
As for the values the impedance difference is already concerning, but I was hoping you were getting a voltage reading as I had thought both tips had a thermocouple reporting temp; a thermocouple generates a tiny trickle of voltage which is read as temperature.  I wonder if the ts-100's thermocouple line is shorted copper to copper?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple
Quote:Firstly it is so nice that asking for readings like this can be expected in this community.
As for the values the impedance difference is already concerning, but I was hoping you were getting a voltage reading as I had thought both tips had a thermocouple reporting temp; a thermocouple generates a tiny trickle of voltage which is read as temperature.  I wonder if the ts-100's thermocouple line is shorted copper to copper?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple

I get around 15mV (it does vary with temp.) when measuring the voltage of the Pinecil tip an nothing when measuring the TS-100 tip I was wondering if anyone else had a TS-100 tip they could measure as it looks like I have bought two bad tips in a row from different places which I thought would be unlikely.

I suppose I should have a look on a TS-100 forum to see if it is a known issue.
I agree, it looks like the thermocouple has shorted to the tip body inside.

Phil

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pricing and availability of single tips askaaron 2 1,874 02-04-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: askaaron
  Survey on Pinecil Tips, Please fill out River 0 1,209 11-06-2022, 02:43 AM
Last Post: River
  Warning: Don't try T12 tips csiwek 4 6,068 11-05-2022, 01:19 PM
Last Post: River