Keyboard case issues
My keyboard case worked fine with my (original) PinePhone, but with my PinePhone Pro the keys just aren’t recognised - anyone else hit this? The phone is well sat into the top of the case, so I don’t think it’s a bad connection on the pins.
(02-08-2022, 12:15 PM)dgiffin Wrote: My keyboard case worked fine with my (original) PinePhone, but with my PinePhone Pro the keys just aren’t recognised - anyone else hit this? The phone is well sat into the top of the case, so I don’t think it’s a bad connection on the pins.

Do you have the same OS for the phones? I would say if so, it is almost certainly an issue with connection. It seems like the problem is the POGO pins on the phones aren't all the same length which causes bad connections. I am using the Manjaro with Plasma Mobile on my Pro and the keyboard works fine but the charger doesn't work at all.
Preinstalled stock images on both phones - I was pretty sure the PinePhone Pro was set into the keyboard case properly, I’ll give it another go after I get the phone battery charged.
Looks like a bad connection - I powered the phone off, pressed it again into the keyboard case and this time there was a click, so I am assuming it hadn't been properly seated in before. Powered it up and now the keyboard is working.
Just curious - is your keyboard charging? And does it charge the PPP?

Mine has never done either.
(02-14-2022, 10:04 AM)thismarty Wrote: Just curious - is your keyboard charging?  And does it charge the PPP?

With the original PP yes, the case seemed to work fine, short press/long press did what they were supposed to.
With the PinePhonePro the case wrt charging seems weird, if I restart with no power connected and then plug in a USB power cable the charing indicator doesn't;t change and it seems not to be charging.
If I restart with a charging cable connected it does show that the battery is recharging.
Whatever I do with the case's switch seems to make no difference.
And of course I'm not sure if it is charging, or if it the phone or the case charging.
I think there is most likely some work to be done in this area :-)
Just got my keyboard the other day and haven't gotten it to work, yet. Noticed tonight that one of the pogo pins is much shorter than the others and I'd bet (although I haven't looked at board topography or schematics yet) that it's the TX pin, since charging appears to be working, power switches are working, etc. The only thing that doesn't work seems to be a keypress on the keyboard. I don't know if the pin is stuck somehow or what is going on. It appears to be seated the same as the others, just that the actual pin is not extending as far as the others. I might put it under a microscope tomorrow.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
(02-24-2022, 09:24 PM)Conjada Wrote: Just got my keyboard the other day and haven't gotten it to work, yet. Noticed tonight that one of the pogo pins is much shorter than the others and I'd bet (although I haven't looked at board topography or schematics yet) that it's the TX pin, since charging appears to be working, power switches are working, etc. The only thing that doesn't work seems to be a keypress on the keyboard. I don't know if the pin is stuck somehow or what is going on. It appears to be seated the same as the others, just that the actual pin is not extending as far as the others. I might put it under a microscope tomorrow.

I have the exact same issue, one of the pogo pins (bottom-middle) is shorter than the rest. I tried pulling it with some tweezers but that didn't help...
(02-16-2022, 05:02 AM)dgiffin Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 10:04 AM)thismarty Wrote: Just curious - is your keyboard charging?  And does it charge the PPP?

My keyboard now works (and charges). However, at least in the terminal, I can only type qith the physical keyboard when the onscreen keyboard is visible. That sort of defeats the usefulness of the physical keyboard.
(03-02-2022, 02:34 PM)tcoulon Wrote:
(02-16-2022, 05:02 AM)dgiffin Wrote:

My keyboard now works (and charges). However, at least in the terminal, I can only type qith the physical keyboard when the onscreen keyboard is visible. That sort of defeats the usefulness of the physical keyboard.
That seems insane. Maybe jump in the Matrix chat and see if someone there can help. How reproducible is it?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Keyboard not working PPP is support broken atm? joshndroid 13 3,106 02-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: mburns
  The XIT bluetooth folding keyboard can work with the Pinephone Pro mburns 0 222 11-09-2023, 10:57 AM
  Pinephone Pro battery case deedend 2 644 09-25-2023, 06:05 PM
Last Post: deedend
  Fixing the PinePhone Keyboard for the Linux Console mburns 0 441 09-02-2023, 07:48 AM
  Is the NFC case dream still alive? cgbarros 1 606 08-13-2023, 04:43 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Keyboard charges, won't type - ERROR: I2C_RDWR failed: No such device or address jovval 0 404 07-10-2023, 08:11 AM
Last Post: jovval
Bug Keyboard Power Issues Merc 13 7,861 05-02-2022, 09:41 AM
Last Post: dgiffin
  Checking Keyboard Charging Status dgiffin 0 1,152 04-23-2022, 03:40 AM
Last Post: dgiffin
  Use keyboard case as virtual mouse EwigeBlumenkraft 1 1,842 03-24-2022, 05:22 AM
Last Post: magdesign
  Hardware keyboard top row keycodes problem cyrelk 2 2,234 03-03-2022, 03:01 AM
Last Post: cyrelk