Tow-Boot, a new U-Boot option for Pinephone Pro and other devices
(03-15-2022, 12:27 AM)EwigeBlumenkraft Wrote: Forcing boot from SD card by holding the volume down key does not work on my PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition.

You must have Tow-Boot installed to SPI memory in order for that to work.
(03-16-2022, 01:47 PM)Barugon Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 12:27 AM)EwigeBlumenkraft Wrote: Forcing boot from SD card by holding the volume down key does not work on my PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition.

You must have Tow-Boot installed to SPI memory in order for that to work.

I know. It is installed to SPI with the SPI installer image.
(02-14-2022, 09:07 AM)xnopasaranx Wrote: Wow, this has pretty much fixed my suspend/wake problems! Have been running this bootloader for 4 days as of now and I think it's stable enough. I wonder what is missing for them to make a proper release?

EDIT: I also have sound issues after waking up the ppp (no sound on calls, sampling rate misconfigured). Don't think this is related to tow-boot thougFollow

I got Tow-Boot installed and using Manjaro Phosh and my phone is now able to come out of suspend mode!

I am also getting a problem with audio not working properly when coming out of sleep. The only way to fix it is for me to reboot the phone.

Even with that setup, it is great to see that this phone is getting closer to being a daily driver.
(02-07-2022, 07:52 AM)tmschmitz Wrote: I expect that I am missing the obvious, somewhere. I will explain my train of logic, and I would be grateful if you would help me find the path.

The getting-started.md file says to dd spi-installer.img to an sd card, and to boot from it. I watched the videos, and all that looks pretty easy. However, there is no file spi-installer.img in the git download, so I assume that I need to build it. I find no makefiles or instruction on how to do this, just .nix files.

"pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004.tar.xz" is what you're looking for. "spi-installer.img" is contained within.

It can be found here: https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot/rel...021.10-004

(02-16-2022, 06:03 PM)u-kidjp Wrote: My PPP (Explore Edition) cannot boot spi-installer which installed into SD card.
Should I wipe bootloader on eMMC ?

You can delete the stock data from eMMC, if you don't want it. With eMMC empty, the phone will default to booting from the SD Card (until you put an OS back on the eMMC, of course). But this is really a separate topic from successfully installing Tow-Boot to the phone's SPI (which can be done on a stock PPP, without touching the eMMC). Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that with Tow-Boot installed to the SPI, booting from the SD Card no longer requires the RE to be pressed. It is as simple as holding down Vol Down and short-pressing the Power Button.

I used "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004.tar.xz", and not "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004-pre.tar.xz" because, while "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004-pre.tar.xz" would boot to the GUI, upon attempting to install it, it would return the error:

Code:
Error: /dev/mtdblock0 not found

spi-nor spi0.0:
unrecognized JEDEC id bytes ff ff ff ff ff ff
spi-nor: probe of spi0.0 failed with -2

Whereas "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004.tar.xz" worked perfectly (after the 4th-ish attempt (and after adding a volume label to the SD Card)).

This is what worked for me when I finally got Tow-Boot to successfully install to the SPI; fixing the suspend issue amongst other things:

Charge the battery via Maskrom mode, as per the instructions in the blue box on the PPP wiki here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_Pro#Boot_order ,

Download "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004.tar.xz" from https://github.com/Tow-Boot/Tow-Boot/releases ,

Open "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004.tar.xz" with 7-zip (or whatever you use) and extract the contents: "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004.tar",

Similarly Open "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004.tar" and extract the contents: "pine64-pinephonePro-2021.10-004",

The directory should contain: "spi.installer.img", among other things.

Flash only the: "spi.installer.img" to your SD Card,

Unplug the USB-C cable from the phone,

Remove the battery,

Press the power button to discharge any capacitors &-or static,

Insert the SD Card with Tow-Boot on it,

Reinsert the battery,

Press-and-hold RE,

In addition to holding RE, press-and-hold Vol Down,

In addition to holding both RE and Vol Down, short-press (maybe 1 sec, or so) the Power Button,

The phone should immediately vibrate, make the faint "pop" sound and the LED should turn Red,

The instant the LED changes from Red to Green (it skips Yellow if your battery is above 90% charged, I think), release both the Vol Down and RE,

It should load straight into Tow-Boot's GUI,

The GUI will remind you to plug the USB-C in,

Plug the USB-C cable back into the phone,

Select the Install option on the screen,

Tow-Boot should install in under 5 sec.

From there, just follow Tow-Boot's post-install instruction.

If the stock Bootloader and Manjoro OS are still on the phone's eMMC, be sure to unplug the USB-C cable as soon as the screen goes completely black, as it may interpret the USB-C's presence as "Power-On".
(03-19-2022, 06:05 AM)LPIZ Wrote:
(02-14-2022, 09:07 AM)xnopasaranx Wrote: Wow, this has pretty much fixed my suspend/wake problems! Have been running this bootloader for 4 days as of now and I think it's stable enough. I wonder what is missing for them to make a proper release?

EDIT: I also have sound issues after waking up the ppp (no sound on calls, sampling rate misconfigured). Don't think this is related to tow-boot thougFollow

I got Tow-Boot installed and using Manjaro Phosh and my phone is now able to come out of suspend mode!

I am also getting a problem with audio not working properly when coming out of sleep. The only way to fix it is for me to reboot the phone.

Even with that setup, it is great to see that this phone is getting closer to being a daily driver.

Using an older (February) version of u-boot on Arch I have a suspend issues where the first text received while suspended wakes the suspension, but fails to be pulled into Chatty. Subsequent texts are pulled from the modem into Chatty and phone calls, after about 3 rings, are also able to get through on a suspended device. Does tow-boot have these timing issues with wake-from-suspend?
I have tried 4 different microSD cards, I have tried installing the spi.installer.img from windows (balena) and from manjaro (dd) and I have no success. The phone refuses to boot from the microSD card, it is just dead/black. Booting with other images (e.g. mobian or manjaro) works just fine. I have the explorer edition.

Any encouraging advice to share?
The ideal would be in the SPI a kind of grub where when booting a menu appears that says
Where do you want to start from?
1 eMMC
2 SD

and issue resolved
(04-11-2022, 02:07 AM)Emilio Wrote: The ideal would be in the SPI a kind of grub where when booting a menu appears that says
Where do you want to start from?
1 eMMC
2 SD

and issue resolved

I'd certainly love to have a Grub like boot screen where for the first 5 seconds on boot I'm presented with three options:

* Power Button = eMMC boot;
* Volume Down = SD boot;
* Volume Up = USB boot;

And if no button is pressed it just boots into the previously selected/default boot option.
(04-06-2022, 04:47 PM)Bjössi Wrote: I have tried 4 different microSD cards, I have tried installing the spi.installer.img from windows (balena) and from manjaro (dd) and I have no success. The phone refuses to boot from the microSD card, it is just dead/black. Booting with other images (e.g. mobian or manjaro) works just fine. I have the explorer edition.

Any encouraging advice to share?

Not sure what I changed, but eventually I managed to get it to boot. All good now!
Just got my Pro in the mail. I installed towboot and suspend great  but when waking from suspend for a call no audio can be heard or transmitted.

Is this a known issue with towboot or is this an OS issue with suspend wake?

The pro seems very close to daily driver status and I cant wait to switch from my OG pinephone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone pro. zetabeta 9 1,661 02-20-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: mburns
  Connect external devices via USB martin@h4ck1ng.me 5 724 02-15-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: u-kidjp
Brick Recovery without Tow Boot b34ux 10 1,244 02-02-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: reky
  A Btrfs Image for Arch SXMO on the Pinephone Pro mburns 2 814 11-23-2023, 08:44 AM
  Rhino Linux does not seem ready for the PinePhone Pro. mburns 2 948 11-23-2023, 08:39 AM
  Megapixels on Mobian Bookworm on PinePhone Pro - Not Launching X0X0X0X0X0 1 683 11-07-2023, 09:44 AM
  Seeking Contributors: Apache NuttX Real-Time Operating System for PinePhone Pro lupyuen 2 1,697 09-14-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: lupyuen
  What to do if your PinePhone Pro does not boot fxc 19 19,242 09-10-2023, 03:19 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Pinephone(pro) modem bug / shortcomings MadameMalady 2 2,430 06-19-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: MadameMalady
  Cannot update new PinePhone Pro bent 6 3,433 05-15-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: alaraajavamma