Modem not 5G but better than original PP!
Big Grin 
OK - fairly trivial but has got a smile on my face.

My only internet connection is tethering from my PinePhone(s). I just noticed my desktop package manager update was running close to 60Mbps download on my PinePhone Pro - historically it was more like 40Mbps on the original PinePhone. I guess this is another benefit of the faster CPU  Cool Cool Big Grin Big Grin 

I did try a Speedtest which, while impressive, is single threaded and not quite as exciting as arch/pacman which I have running 4 threads!
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(02-04-2022, 02:56 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: OK - fairly trivial but has got a smile on my face.

My only internet connection is tethering from my PinePhone(s). I just noticed my desktop package manager update was running close to 60Mbps download on my PinePhone Pro - historically it was more like 40Mbps on the original PinePhone. I guess this is another benefit of the faster CPU  Cool Cool Big Grin Big Grin 

I did try a Speedtest which, while impressive, is single threaded and not quite as exciting as arch/pacman which I have running 4 threads!

this is one which is complicated whammy, practical and short answer is no, for short time pp should stick eg25g.

benefits of faster lte chip:
  • obviously, it is faster. lte-ca options also bring reliability as well.

disadvantages of faster lte chip:
  • firmware development needs to be re-started, and may be incompatible with current o.s..
  • pricey.
  • phone model redesign.

benefits of eg25g:
  • already used and supported.
  • no re-development.
  • no new model redesign.

disadvantages of eg25g:
  • rather slow, lte cat 4.
  • how long quectel will support eg25g.

of course, in longer run modem chips needs to be changed and upgraded but when and to which model, i cannot precisely tell. i wouldn't rule out nr (5g) chips out. nr will come sooner or later but as this moment might be rather expensive and most cases requires 4 antennas. current implementation of nr is non-standalone mode, which is precursor for nr standalone mode. i think when nr-standalone mode comes then nr should be considered seriously.

i know that some guys here have limited income and some awful compromises have to be made. some cases separate mobile router is better way to go, usually costs more money. but in that case, mobile router could be fast one and phone doesn't need high-end speeds. mobile router also gives some options which are not available with tethering.

quectel products for reference:
https://www.quectel.com/wp-content/uploa...N-v6.8.pdf
(02-04-2022, 02:56 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: OK - fairly trivial but has got a smile on my face.

Also on Mobian here and tethering sounds damn cool.

Only if it's easy to share, how are you going about the tethering process? I'm no stranger to the terminal and i'd love to do something similar.
(02-06-2022, 05:26 AM)Ulfnic Wrote: ...
Also on Mobian here and tethering sounds damn cool.

Only if it's easy to share, how are you going about the tethering process? I'm no stranger to the terminal and i'd love to do something similar.

With Mobian (and most of the 2022 releases no doubt) most of the tether bits are built-in, it is just a process to enable/configure them. There is a whole lot of info in the wiki which is more than you need - in general I just use nmtui command to change the relevant connection (ethernet, usb and wifi) from DHCP4 automatic to shared.

Also I have a dongle-like thing like this and a stand like this that are permanently connected - the ethernet to my PC - and powered, so I just have to plug my phone into the stand and it gets charged and the PC is on the interweb. (The fleabay links are no recommendations nor preferences, merely the first ones I found. The Pine shop also has a dongle.)

The other thing I like about this is that it is then easy to manage the PinePhone via ssh etc from the PC rather than struggling with a little touchscreen. And on rare occasions fire up the PinePhone WiFI hotspot for other junk I have that needs a dose of internet for whatever reason.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modem diag output tjpresley 1 844 06-07-2023, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PPP modem firmware updater henrythemouse 6 3,634 05-10-2022, 10:28 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse