SIM Slot Problem on PinePhone Pro
Hello everyone,

After a long wait (to be able to order and then to receive it), I finally received my PinePhone Pro. Wink Rolleyes
PinePhone Pro Developer Edition.

Developer Edition is delivered with an Android 9x for testing.
I think do some tests (call, sms) before changing the OS.

I was happy to receive my pinephone pro, but my happiness has been short-lived.

The SIM card was blocked (in the sim slot) and with a lot of difficulty I have remove this.
I suspect the connection paws that touches the SIM card to have been damaged.  Angry

If the phone start with a Sim card, I have an error of the " com.android.phone " application in a loop, and phone reboot.
Impossible to pass or receive a call, but I can see the Network GSM Name.

After doing some research (fourm, youtube, etc), I read a lot of message about design of Micro Sim Slot (who could be better conception)
But in the present what interests me is to find a solution.

According to this page, for PinePhone :
https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_c...CADD.2FUSB
The componant is " J901: SA-2202-112 25-pin Micro-SIM and TF slot "
But for Pinephone Pro, and when we look at the pictures it seems that it is a little different.

If you have suggestions thank you for telling me... !?

PS : I have make a request to Sales Team (by mail), they redirected me to their support service  (i'm waiting answer).
Hi LK98,

i got no Pinephone Pro device right now, but from looking at the PCB pictures, my best guess would be this one:
https://www.molex.com/molex/products/par...1041681620

Please have a look at the datasheet attached... it gives you a better idea than the blurry pic on the product page Rolleyes 
It seems that these type of connectors, had been something like a standard footprint from different manufacturers.

Did not have a match for SA-2202-112 though...

Hope this helps!

Regards,
scholbert

Attached Files
.pdf   1041681620_sd.pdf (Size: 321.51 KB / Downloads: 273)
@scholbert : thanks for your help.

I'm waiting answer from support / warranty (i have an open ticket).
I will post news as soon as there is an evolution.
I've just had the same problem. The sim card was resisting being removed, and when I managed to remove it, a metal pin came out with it, which can't be good…

Since then, if I put a sim card in the phone, it will refuse to boot. I tried with different OS install booted from the sd card (two mobian and a manjaro/phosh) and they all behave the same : works perfectly without sim card, doesn't boot with it. Which kind of defeat the phone purpose of being a phone. Smile

> Please have a look at the datasheet attached... it gives you a better idea than the blurry pic on the product page Rolleyes
> It seems that these type of connectors, had been something like a standard footprint from different manufacturers.

Do you mean that it's a part we could replace?
If you need to ask you probably don't have the necessary skill or equipment to do it yourself, but a local phone repair shop may be able to replace it for you.
I thought I might have bent one of my SIM pins as well. But I am not sure. Because symptoms I get are more like modem dropping out, calls dropping suddenly, incoming call hanging up before I can answer it, etc. Which I see some other people reporting, too. But these are not same symptoms as reported above (cannot boot at all). I am not sure what to make of it (yet).
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
The SIM card slot is the "Micro" size, if you have a "Nano" card and you're using the adapter that Pine provided, I noticed that the card falls out of the adapter very easily, and if you go ahead and shove the whole thing in with the card slightly out of place, you're going to have problems. Once the adapter's empty cavity goes past the pins, the pins will pop up into that cavity and grab hold ... DON'T TRY TO PULL IT OUT. The only hope at that point is to use micro tools and a good magnifying glass to gently slid the SIM card fully into the cavity of the adapter, over the pins, then you can pull it out with ease.

I've found it's easiest to turn the phone upside down while sliding the adapter and card in, that way gravity isn't trying to pull the card out of place. It's really a crappy adapter, there are much better ones out there that don't let the SIM card become dislocated.
***   Don't be a minion in the (i)droid army   ***

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 204 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 250 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 414 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 571 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 3,999 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 9,863 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 660 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,124 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,071 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack
  Is my pinephone pro worth resurrecting? tckosvic 5 2,822 09-14-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: DaForest