DisplayPort Out question
(02-06-2022, 06:05 AM)uzanto Wrote: This isn't working for me either, I'm using a PinePhone Pro and a Nexdock 360, tried Mobian Phosh, Manjaro KDE and now I'm in PostmarketOS none of them work, I can get the keyboard7mouse working but no display out, wlr-randr says that the screen is there, it is enabled and you can see it in display settings but it doesn't display anything.

This works with my Librem 5 and a Samsung phone using the same cable.

I emailed support, they said the OS may not support video out yet. I emailed back a few days ago asking which OS was used when they photographed a PPP connected to an external monitor, keyboard & mouse on the PPP web site under the "How's the performance" heading. I've had no reply yet.
DisplayPort Out was very high on my list of reasons to purchase the Pro.  I will be very disappointed/angry if it is a hardware issue.

I have a hub that works with 3 devices listed below so I don't believe the hub hardware is the reason it doesn't work for me. 

HP Laptop with Windows 10
Macbook with MacOs
System76 Laptop with Pop!_Os

I have tried Mobian and Manjaro and neither work.
(02-09-2022, 04:14 PM)sringgen Wrote: DisplayPort Out was very high on my list of reasons to purchase the Pro.  I will be very disappointed/angry if it is a hardware issue.

I have a hub that works with 3 devices listed below so I don't believe the hub hardware is the reason it doesn't work for me. 

XP Laptop with Windows 10
Macbook with MacOs
System76 Laptop with Pop!_Os

I have tried Mobian and Manjaro and neither work.

Once I receive a reply from Support I will post it here.
I also opened a ticket and got the same original response you did, and when I followed up, I got nothing back as well.

This also was my primary use case. Believe me, I do not need another device just just to make phone calls, I have lots of those. I did want a pocketable mobile computer, even with beta software. But the external monitor has to at least work in a basic form.
(02-10-2022, 09:12 AM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote: I also opened a ticket and got the same original response you did, and when I followed up, I got nothing back as well.

This also was my primary use case. Believe me, I do not need another device just just to make phone calls, I have lots of those. I did want a pocketable mobile computer, even with beta software. But the external monitor has to at least work in a basic form.

I agree. Thanks for helping to get an answer, especially before the warranty runs out.
(02-10-2022, 02:26 PM)frankt Wrote:
(02-10-2022, 09:12 AM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote: I also opened a ticket and got the same original response you did, and when I followed up, I got nothing back as well.

I agree. Thanks for helping to get an answer, especially before the warranty runs out.

You probably won't hear much back until at least the 15th. They said as much before CNY.
I would be really discouraged to hear the at the Lunar new year had anything to do with this, as it has been on the web site for quite a while. Smile
I am getting the feeling more and more, that someone advertised something that might not have been true.
Sad really, as Pine had a good reputation, and seemed to be trying to be honest with us about the state of things up until this point.

Fingers crossed that this gets straightened out soon.
(02-11-2022, 03:47 PM)scoulber@protonmail.com Wrote: I would be really discouraged to hear the at the Lunar new year had anything to do with this, as it has been on the web site for quite a while. Smile
I am getting the feeling more and more, that someone advertised something that might not have been true.
Sad really, as Pine had a good reputation, and seemed to be trying to be honest with us about the state of things up until this point.

Fingers crossed that this gets straightened out soon.

So, I received a second completely unsatisfactory reply from Support today, basically the same as the first reply. I don't know if they are misunderstanding my question:

-----  February 11th, 2022

"Hello Frank,

Assume video output with HDMI , this feature may not have been implemented in exisitng OS versions.
If you wish to know which OS build is supports that, you may consult Pine64 IRC  developers' there will provide you the best advice. 
Here is the link: https://www.pine64.org/web-irc/.

Thank you.

Regards,

support team #4... "

-----  February 11th, 2022

"Hello,

Can you please answer my question from 5 days ago?

Which OS is being used in the photo from the Pinephone Pro web site?

The photo shows a Pinephone Pro connected to an external monitor, working in Convergence mode.
If they are using the stock OS, why isn't the Convergence feature working on my phone?

Thank you."
One comment, this version of the PinePhone Pro is listed as the "Explorer Edition", which has a clear note;

Quote:Note:
    The PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is aimed at Linux developers with an extensive knowledge of embedded systems and/or experience with mobile Linux.

Almost all the Pine64 products at initial release have this or similar warnings. Basically, most people should wait 2 to 6 months in order to have a plug and play user experience. After that point, the developers and early adopters will have found most of the bigger problems, AND solved them.

This comment is not trying to blame the buyers, but to clarify WHY you are having problems. The Pro version is a totally different SoC, (System on a Chip), than the original PinePhone. Different vendors even. So that it will simply take time for full functionality to become available.

If you don't think you can trust that support will come, consider returning now. Then, if still interested, in 6 months or so, read the forum posts. If it's not clear this feature is supported, post and ask if USB-C alternate mode video DisplayPort is working. And which firmware supports that feature.

Last, I am just a community forum moderator who has been reading the forums for a few years. I have limited inside knowledge, and none to share on this subject that I have not already shared.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(02-12-2022, 11:35 AM)Arwen Wrote: One comment, this version of the PinePhone Pro is listed as the "Explorer Edition", which has a clear note;

Quote:Note:
    The PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition is aimed at Linux developers with an extensive knowledge of embedded systems and/or experience with mobile Linux.

Almost all the Pine64 products at initial release have this or similar warnings. Basically, most people should wait 2 to 6 months in order to have a plug and play user experience. After that point, the developers and early adopters will have found most of the bigger problems, AND solved them.

This comment is not trying to blame the buyers, but to clarify WHY you are having problems. The Pro version is a totally different SoC, (System on a Chip), than the original PinePhone. Different vendors even. So that it will simply take time for full functionality to become available.

If you don't think you can trust that support will come, consider returning now. Then, if still interested, in 6 months or so, read the forum posts. If it's not clear this feature is supported, post and ask if USB-C alternate mode video DisplayPort is working. And which firmware supports that feature.

Last, I am just a community forum moderator who has been reading the forums for a few years. I have limited inside knowledge, and none to share on this subject that I have not already shared.

Thanks for your thoughts Arwen, and I know you have no control over this issue.
But....
The display out feature was, and still is advertised as fully functional. See below:
"When docked and connected to an external monitor and keyboard and mouse, the PinePhone Pro performs well when surfing the web, using the terminal or an office suite, watching 1080p videos, and even in light photo editing. The perfect pocketable Linux computer on the go."

The words "can" , "one day" or "might" are not used. It says it works, plain and simple.

Some of us are / were prepared to put our money where our mouth was and support a project that we knew had a bunch of rough edges, software wise. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I do appreciate the honesty about a lot of the usability limitations, and I decided to spend my money knowing those limitations.

I just do not like being lied to by vendors about critical features that they claim work right now.
I will not be returning my PPP, but wanted to call out the marketing issues in the hopes of figuring out how to get what I paid for.

I have had other "kickstarter" type phones (Volla), that worked out well, but they also delivered on their claims from day 1.

Thanks for reading.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery Life is it possible?? Tech Question (sort of) scrwbigtek 4 3,168 05-11-2022, 06:01 AM
Last Post: danimations
Question Possibly dumb question For_lack_of_a_better_name 1 1,368 03-06-2022, 04:54 AM
Last Post: fxc