Bent SD card pin
Good morning.

Yesterday I received my new Pinephone Pro. As you can imagine I was excited.

Right away my excitment turned to sadness. I noticed there is a problem with the updates. I will not update at all due to some errors. It would not work via the gui or the command line. No problem I thought, I will just reinstall the OS. It was at this point that I saw the bent pin in the SD card reader. The pins are failrly badly bent. It refuses to boot of any SD card I have.

So now I have a $399 paper weight. Sad

Sorry folks.

Is there another way to get anther firmware on the phone without the SD card slot?
This is highly experimental and I have no idea if this would work with the PinePhone Pro, but there is Maskrom mode on the RK3399 which apparently can be used for flashing to the eMMC. See here and here. But be cautious, I don't know if or how this would work and how much you could mess things up with it.
I would first try to fix the SD card slot. Maybe it's possible to fix the pins with a needle or even take the thing apart?
(02-01-2022, 01:57 PM)kqlnut Wrote: This is highly experimental and I have no idea if this would work with the PinePhone Pro, but there is Maskrom mode on the RK3399 which apparently can be used for flashing to the eMMC. See here and here. But be cautious, I don't know if or how this would work and how much you could mess things up with it.
I would first try to fix the SD card slot. Maybe it's possible to fix the pins with a needle or even take the thing apart?

Thanks I will look at those options you mentioned.

I have been trying to fix the pins with a needle. No luck at all so far. I thank I would be a fairly invasive repair should I attempt it. I have not yet talked myself into that level of changes to the brand new phone.

Cheers.
Good morning all.

Before I even consider any invasive "repair", I would like to talk to someone about returning the phone and getting a replacment. Who would I talk to about this?
(02-02-2022, 09:45 AM)bhboyle Wrote: Before I even consider any invasive "repair", I would like to talk to someone about returning the phone and getting a replacment. Who would I talk to about this?

According to the contact page: Either open a ticket or write to sales@pine64.org (although they may ask you to open a ticket first if it's about a hardware defect).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone yet received replacement sim/sd card holder tckosvic 19 8,855 06-16-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: fxc
Photo My PinePhone Pro does not read the micro SD card at all. tux_life 7 2,558 03-26-2023, 02:55 AM
Last Post: tux_life
  PinePhone Pro Motherboard with sim card holder tckosvic 1 1,585 08-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Warning!!- sim card adapter destroyed my sim card holder on my pine phone pro ANDROID2468 11 7,465 06-15-2022, 02:32 AM
Last Post: fxc
  Replace PPP sim card/sd card slot hardware tckosvic 5 4,081 03-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: tckosvic
  How to remove the sim card liberty1234 6 4,209 02-16-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  SD Card insertion depth nristen 4 2,965 02-03-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: nristen
  SD card slot specs frimmel 3 2,720 01-27-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: bcnaz